What RPG's Are on the Horizon?

So aside from Fallout 3, what’s coming? Dosen’t matter which platform.

I find myself feeling nostalgic for a good old school rpg. With parties and TB combat and a big old world to explore. I don’t suppose we’ll see anything like that again?

Did you play Lost Odyssey? It pretty much was an old-school console game with UE3 graphics and load times. Very good game IMO.

Anything by Spiderweb fits your bill pretty well.

I tried to like Spiderweb, but I just couldn’t get into them.

I only looked at the opening of Lost Odyssey, but it turned me off. Was it representative?

You mean the absolutely epic, over the top, raging battle scene?

Kind of… I guess…

Lost Odyssey rocked, and all RPG fans should play it. It should take about 50 hours to complete the main quest, and there are sidequests.

I got about 12 hours into Lost odyssey, and it wasn’t fun at all.

but than my taste in RPG is gameplay > story so.

Well there goes my answer.

Isn’t Dragon Age supposed to come out this year? But I don’t think it’s turn-based.

If you’re into JRPGs then maybe the next Final Fantasy game or something. Etrain Odyssey 2, though it’s a dungeon crawler.

I’m planning to pick up Lost Odyssey. It sounds fun but it didn’t strike me as an old school rpg. Then again I haven’t played it so what do I know.

I wish someone would resurrect one of SSI’s old Gold Box rpgs. I’d fucking kill for a Dark Queen of Krynn or Secret of the Silver Blades remake.

I wonder what’s going on with Dragon Age. There hasn’t been any news about it for a very long time now.

I’d just love it if they made a proper sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics (not the Advance crap).

Persona 3 Fes, if you don’t already have it.

It would have been an average to good game 5-7 years ago, but its mechanics, story, and the way it’s all wrapped together are really dated. Like, for every clever refinement of traditional JRPG stuff, they will add ten inexplicable, unforgivable transgressions that I have already endured in too many games. I liked the story flashbacks, but they really feel like they exist almost in a separate world of narrative thinking than the very plain general plot. I would go into detail, but there’s already at least three threads with some good info on that raging debate: all I know is ultimately I didn’t get much further than I was then, and I don’t really regret it. I thought the combat would get me through it, but I was wrong.

Me, I’m just waiting on Persona 3 FES, and there’s really not a whole lot else going on in that genre unless I count Baroque (which I don’t).

The story was not particularly good, but the characters were. That might sound contradictory. The backstories were interesting. The storybook sequences were awesome; they were very well-written (by some well-known Japanese author, or so I hear) and immersive.

The battles in the game took too long, and were more or less traditional, but the timing system used is better than games like Shadow Hearts. The timing element in this game can only help you, so things don’t get frustrating like in that series.

I liked the accessory creation system and the way immortals learned and equipped skills from mortals. It kept me playing, anyway.

I wrote two long blog posts on LO at http://moggraider.1up.com .

The story was not particularly good, but the characters were. That might sound contradictory. The backstories were interesting. The storybook sequences were awesome; they were very well-written (by some well-known Japanese author, or so I hear) and immersive.

So the plot was bad, but the presentation, characters and the storytelling elements were good.

Happens all the time. Baldur’s Gate was like that.

And the sequel is coming out soon. If you’re looking for old school this series is like Bard’s Tale reborn.

On the DS there’s also a Final Fantasy IV remake coming this summer, and Dragon Quest IX on the more distant horizon.

On the PS3 there’s White Knight Chronicles in the pipeline, as well as Final Fantasy XIII at some point.

If you open it up to strategy RPGs there’s Disgaea 3 coming in a few months.

I forgot about White Knight. Since I’ll probably be jumping on the PS3 bandwagon with that MGS4 pack this june I’ll have to read more about it.

Unfortunately the FF games have never clicked for me.

Drakensang - The Dark Eye (anybody remember Realms of Arkania?) will be party based and allow you to slow the combat down.
The game doesn´t have an AAA budget. I´m quite optimistic it´s in competent hands and will be at least “good”, though.

I enjoy the flashback part of the game, but combat in the game is just so crappy.

Saw a preview for Infinite Undiscovery recently, which looked interesting, despite the nonsensical title. It’s by Tri-Ace, who also made Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean games.

EDIT: Oh, and if you like Troika’s ToEE, keep an eye out for Keep on the Borderlands, a ToEE mod based on the old D&D module of the same name. There’s a demo, if you’d like to check it out.

Current expectation is it’s supposed to be out by April `09, but frankly that’s just wishful thinking at the moment.

For a novel change, BJB says something not crazy.