What scientific law can describe this phenomenon?

I am looking for writing help by the Q23 community… a thesaurus doesn’t really help here…

looking for a scientific law or theory that describes the following:

When something is emptied, it just fills right up again?

The Law of Least Resistance? (is that even a law?)

Staring at an empty bottle of scotch, I suggest you call it “The Law of Wishful Thinking”.

preface: IANAScientist, nor do I play one on TV. Take everything below with a grain of salt, as it comes from the dusty mind of someone who enjoyed physics in college a little too much for his own good decades ago. The information could easily be wrong.

Do you mean “when I drink all the scotch, it is replaced with air” kind of refilling? If so, that’s a property of the environment (gas, in this case) and not the bottle. The bottle doesn’t refill, rather the air expands into a lower pressure area. That’s called the pressure gradient force, iirc.

and so the conversation degenerates… serves me right for attempting to use Q23 as a thesaurus

You use it more like a blog than a thesaurus, and you have a distinct inability to Google simple ass information so that you can at least confirm if you’re right or wrong about something beforehand. Unfortunately this is the most interesting scientific topic on Qt3 in a long time… so I guess you got one right finally.

I don’t know the answer, but your question relates most to fluid dynamics, particularly pressures.

edit: Just read Dan’s post, looks like he’s pretty much right.

Pogo, you are the Man (or Woman).

I didn’t want to state the context as it might bias the answer.

But I think the analogy works.

Appreciated.

The usual phrase is ‘nature abhors a vacuum.’

Glad to know all those student loans weren’t a complete waste, lol

This. It’s not a property of a thing, it’s a property of a thing being in a fluid medium that is sensitive to pressure differentials. In space, no one fills it back up for you.

Yes, this is even better… I like the phrase: nature abhors a vacuum

will work better for my article… thanks

The first thing I actually thought of was entropy, which is a part of thermodynamics, and how heat will transfer via molecular collisions from a warm area to a cold area in order to balance it out.

I don’t know what you’re writing about, but if you’re looking for more analogies of that kind of natural balance, entropy will also fit.

I hope it’s not a scientific article, because that principle was disproven a few centuries ago. After all, our atmosphere is surrounded by vacuum, but nature doesn’t seem to abhor it.

hmm… good point

Well, sure, like that article states what’s happening is that surrounding pressure pushes in, it’s not that the space is sucking it in.

It’s still an elegant point/counterpoint to make.

and dishes…nature abhors doing dishes.

Nature abhors a vacuum is Emerson, I think. He’s a poet, not a scientist.

Well yeah, you need a poetic response to a non-scientific question, which really is what we have here. The science isn’t really science other than to say that something will move if you put a force on it. It’s a consequence of fluid dynamics but there’s no specific law; he’s looking for a pithy sentence to illustrate the idea.

If you had to have real science, it would be something to do with “nature will always seek equilibrium between two inequal but connected environments.” It’s why a hole you dig fills with air and why putting salt on a steak pulls the liquid out of the cells.

If the pressure is higher from nature’s significant other than that which is found in the sink, then nature will do dishes.

So, is this a good thing or a bad thing? I read somewhere that pre-salting hamburger meat was a bad idea due to how the meat will chemically react during cooking to make a more dense burger, which isn’t really what you want.

To be honest, what most people associate with juiciness in a hamburger (and moisture in everything from food to facial care) is oil/fat, not the water content of the cells. You’ve all but certainly lost more moisture as steam during your 8 minute fry in the pan than you did by pulling moisture out from surface-level muscle cells in the patty of ground meat you’re patting out.

You’ll do the meat a greater disservice by squeezing it while cooking or biting/cutting into it immediate after it’s done than by salting it, in other words.

Source: too many cooking shows, Harold McGee’s phenomenal science of cooking writing, and GRILLIN SHIT.