What should I do with my old comics?

Wait, so my retirement fund shouldn’t solely consist of the comics I collected as a teenager in the early 90s?

Fuck.

must…resist…

Ha you guys are falling into my long play… once all your 80’s comics are thrown out, my collection will be worth millions!

After reading this thread, I don’t feel so bad about simply sticking a $300 sticker on a box and giving it to my mom to sell at an estate sale. Some of the offbeat stuff I kind of regret getting rid of, but I never had that much to begin with.

If you got $300 for any single box (unless it was refrigerator sized) you did just fine.

I’ve been selling my collection, slowly, on ebay. I had a lot of valuable stuff and am patient enough to wait years, so I’ve done pretty well, but well over 90% of stuff is worth less than $300/large box.

It sounds like my complete set of 3rd edition Magic Cards should go for something, but the handful of comics I got in the 80s, well I will just enjoy them until I want the space again. Oh and I shouldn’t feel too bad most of the comics I read and didn’t keep pristine either.

I’ve got the first Spiderman, but it is not mint. And most of the first 20 or so. I keep them individually wrapped and but still sitting in a closet.

I have no idea if I’d want to sell them, and if I did, how to. Is below mint worth much? And by below mint, I mean the cover is frayed at the edges.

Probably worth enough to be worth getting graded, even for a low-quality copy.

http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/124028

Thanks. I guess it doesn’t hurt to do that. And then… eBay? I’d not care to venture there in all honesty.

eBay seems to be where most of this stuff is bought and sold nowadays…unless they’re really high-value copies, in which case a private auction house might be a better option.

Yes, it’s definitely worth getting rated if you want to sell it - in fact, do NOT sell it without getting it rated, as you both won’t get anywhere close to full value and you won’t even be able to make an informed decision about a potential offer. There is definitely value in accepted a private offer for less than you could get on ebay or through a 3rd party potentially since you save 12% or so in fees. But for something as valuable as Spider-man 1 you may get the most value selling it through a large comic store – even a crappy version is likely worth $2000. If you want to post some pictures I can give you a pretty good estimate of its worth.

Not sure if this helps. Cover intact, frayed at edges.

Here’s the full list of my oldies.

Woo. You’ve got a number of pretty valuable issues there. I feel like I hardly need to say those Daredevils are worth a fair bit. The Spider-man Annual #1. That Strange Tales 135 is a pretty key issue, IIRC. I’m pretty sure that’s the first appearance of Nick Fury.

Prob close to $4k, but maybe higher if the only defects are those cover issues (probably to a max of $6k). If you don’t get it valued you may only get $1500 though, which is why it is important to do so. Are 2-5 in similar condition? They could be worth quite a bit too.

Some good stuff in there! Early Daredevils aren’t worth as much as they should be,

Thanks. This leads to the next question… what’s the best way to have them rated? Googling it leads to a lot of ads for free appraisals. I’d like someone who is legit, reputable, even if it costs.

So a little bump, incase anyone else is wondering what to do with their comics.

The market has gotten stupid again.

Here’s one that just came out. Over 100k printed:

Variant covers are the new die-cut embossed chromium foil holograms, and Marvel is putting them on everything…

The recent “Negan Lives” Walking Dead had variants going for 400$.
It was just the logo color on the cover.

Early issues of any potentially upcoming movie/etc character that were well cared for might be worth something again. I had a dealer (he was over buying some robocops @ 5$ each) check out one of my better boxes and his jaw dropped, wanting to sell a bunch on consignment. Mostly 80-90s Marvels and Spidermans. That Maximum Carnage type stuff is a few bucks. The hugely popular X-Men series is even bouncing back up. #4, #24 & #25 are ~20$ each.

My local store had stacks of near-perfect Gen 13s and other Images in the 5 for 1$ boxes. Those are probably still worthless.

Eh? Why?

No idea. I was told Covid got a lot more people into comic collecting.
Either that or it’s crazy speculators again. Here’s one that got slabbed:

Sold a few ninja turtles from the first mirage series (not #1!) shortly after I put them on the facebook marketplace at a ridiculous price… paid for my new xbox.