What the.... Hellgate: London returns

Does anyone know why the “new” developer never put any kind of multiplayer back in?

Yeah I remember the writing was completely off script… Completely out of sync with the feel of the game.

From reading some of the thread on steam, a Korean company turned the game into a f2p mmo loaded with micro transactions, but added a bunch of content. This is a conversion of that into a single-player game and gives you resources to buy what would have been purchased with cash in that version.

First, you are comparing optional gameplay modes (Hellgate: London always did and still does work just fine solo, because it was meant to) with mandatory input devices (joystick for space sim games) to justify the laziness of reading a store page.

Second, if there was proper mouse & kb or controller support that could actually replace a joystick (unlikely, but for the sake of assumption) then indeed it would be okay. People don’t have to like the fact. They don’t have to buy the game, then. Even if you were too lazy and did not see it, you can simply silently refund it (that also lets you give a reason to tellt he devs). Demos should really be more common, btw…

But rating negatively because of something that is clearly stated is simply inane and I wish Steam would remove ratings based on such stupidity.
You might as well go ahead and rate every puzzle game negatively for having too many puzzles. Or shooters for featuring the use of deadly weapons. Or Mario games for the lack of deadly weapons. Or every real-time game for not being turn-based. Or fighting games for not supporting Jungle Beat Congos. Or…

Well, if Luigi were removed from a re-release of Super Mario Bros (since his presence adds nothing to the game) I think people would take offense.

Maybe, but how many would still buy the game, which would likely be stock full with dozens of other characters, and then give it the thumbs down because one character isn’t there?
Don’t think it would be many - even those who’d be pissed about it would likely still enjoy the game. Because, as you said, the presence of one character is basically irrelevant.

Complaining is one thing. Giving a store review with a thumbs down, meaning you would not recommend another person this game, a whole different deal.

I think it’s more akin to buying something like StarCraft 2020 Edition only to find that you can only play the campaign, not the multiplayer skirmish modes. Sure, people could have read the store description more closely, but I could understand how people would make an assumption that such a core part of the game would be there and be unpleasantly surprised once they discover the absence.

I would be pretty excited for this release but I played Hellgate with my friends and I don’t have much of an interest in jumping back in solo. Thankfully I was aware ahead of time, so I just opted not to buy the game.

I’m enjoying the game. I’ve always played these types solo anyway, so it doesn’t bother me 1 bit that there’s no MP. I enjoy the character progression and loot farming. Graphics are dated, but bearable.

My 1 main issue, and if I’ve said this before, I’ve said it 1,000 times: I fucking hate re-spawning mobs in games. I don’t remember this happening in the original version of HG:L but it might have. There’s just no need of it in a single player game. Ok. if I go out of the instance and back in, re-spawn all day. But not while I’m 1 room over from an area I just cleared. So annoying! This kills so many games for me.

I’ve never played the game before, but trying it today, the tutorial info seems really poorly written/translated.

I’ll try the tutorial again tomorrow after some sleep, but in my current tired state, the tutorial was…underwhelming.

The tutorial is underwhelming and poorly written.
It actually enters the “so awkward it is funny” territory.

But this isn’t the kind of game that needs a tutorial to begin with, if you ever played an RPG with itemization and skills before.
If not… well, IIRC, Diablo did not have a tutorial either, but I managed. And I must’ve been 10-12 or so.

Sure, but this idea that, “It’s their IP and they can do whatever they want with it, and people don’t have a right to complain” can be taken to the extreme. I mean, there is some change of some type that potentially any or every person could feel is significant.

The original game didn’t have respawning enemies inside the same instance, it worked the same way as Diablo 3.

This version does, but I only find it mildly annoying.

Completely agree. Respawning enemies make a game unplayable for me (other than after significant plot developments, or lengthy passages of time - and even that’s not my preference). It’s dampens enthusiasm for even great games, like System Shock 2, which had a relatively mild respawning system, and makes games like the Call of Duty or Left for Dead series just annoying and unpleasant - never been able to stick with a game like that for very long - just ruins the game for me.

So they introduced respawning everywhere in HG:L, or just new areas? If the former, I’m going to delete my download immediately, and I was looking forward to playing this again. Maybe I’ll dig out my disks instead.

Expectations for this hitting a Steam sale any time soon?

It’s already 25% off for launch with a base price of $13. Can’t see it going much lower in the upcoming sales, maybe 33% off.

F that noise, I bought it 12 years ago.

Oh god, you’re not really one of those people are you?

If by those people you mean people that won’t pay for the same game twice on the same platform, then yes I am.

It’s a shame I only have two eyes to roll.