What the.... Hellgate: London returns

To answer that question, no they didn’t I’m afraid.

I liked a lot of things about Hellgate, despite Its problems. Would love to try it out again.

Other than changing it to F2P, any word on what will take them half a year to launch?

I keep searching and searching for a digital download of HG:L but I cannot find one. It’s really unfortunate as I’d love to have it in my digital library and be able to play single player without the DVD in the drive.

Post if you do find one. I liked this game, too, and I’d love to have a digital copy on the laptop.

One of the worst impulse purchasing decisions of my life. I saw some E3 footage of it before it came out, it looked pretty good and I knew it was an ‘FPS Diablo’. Saw it on the store shelf several months later and just bought it automatically. Now I wait for reviews of games before purchasing.

I really liked it as well…gear up, run in …kill lots of shit with big guns and run out. Short or long sessions-- whatever you wanted.

Definitely taking a look.

This is great. My main question is, why did it take them so long? HGL was a good game at its core. The atmosphere, graphics, and diablo-esq combat/loot in a FPS environment was the bomb. Bugs, lack of respecs, poor inventory management, a poorly conceived sub model, and lack of promised expansion content brought the original game down.

I look forward to the resurrection.

Add to your list of problems a general lack of content (later levels repeat the same 3-4 “level themes” over and over again), bad randomization and an uneven difficulty curve. Later bosses got nearly impossible to kill but I think most players didn’t play that far to notice.

But as apparently many others here I liked the core game as well.

The basic mechanics of HGL were pretty good. Likewise, the basic aesthetics and fiction of the game were pretty good.

Implementation, not so much, for either.

All of the skill trees needed some serious, serious reworking. The first level skills of one character were the top tier skills for others. What?! All of the dialog needed to be completely dumped and rewritten. You had these wonderful cinematics, and then in-game we had the three stooges. The last 1/3 of the game was clearly made in less than 1/10 of the time of the first 2/3rds.

I did enjoy a lot of the guns- it felt like playing Contra in a FPS: spread guns, bouncing bullet guns, napalm guns, homers.

I will definitely give this version a try, though I’m generally adverse to F2P MMO games.

Am I the only one who noticed the web page for it clearly says they are making a Hellgate: Tokyo?

I also enjoyed the game, the levels and monsters looked quite cool. I also liked the fact that weapon mods actually appeared on the weapons as their own 3D models.

Did you have to watch Star Wars every day to get your spaceship fix?

You’d think a Korean company would make Hellgate: Seoul first.

You’d think an American company would make Hellgate: New York… Or was Flagship actually British?

Flagship was a U.S. developer.

Americans have a British accent fetish. Plus, London fit the retro knights/templar theme. Finally, we don’t have a lot of cultural hate/competitiveness for Brits.

I didn’t think Koreans are that in love with Japanese culture.

<Arrested Development SPOILER warning>

As an aside, I think that’s what made the Charlize Theron episodes of Arrested Development work for me. It played on the assumption that a British accent implies higher intelligence/sophistication. Before I realized what was going on, I had interpreted her behavior as eccentric rather than mentally immature.

Maybe they are doing it because they want to appeal to a world wide market and they think Tokyo will have more recognition and be more enticing of a setting. Or maybe they’d thought it’d be cool, but aren’t fetishizing it.

Maybe they want to show their archnemesi in ruins, crushed and infested by demons! That’s it!

Okay, maybe your explanation makes more sense.

They’ve been talking about Hellgate:Tokyo for awhile now. Trailer from 2009.

So I got my $1 copy of Hellgate London yesterday, so after installing the huge patch and the revival mod, I started as a marksman (I have a thing for snipers). I played it for maybe 4-5 hours and REALLY enjoyed it a lot. I dunno if the marksman is overpowered because I only died once, but so far I’m having a great time. :)

Yeah I’ve been playing Hellgate:London since I discovered the Revival site over a year ago.
I also use a ton of the updated equipment mods there, makes the swords and guns look even that much better.

Nice to able come out of the H:L closet so to speak ;)