What have you played in the weekend?

Will probably try to finish Wolfenstein: The New Order and then fantasize about buying the new one next week. Otherwise I’m not sure if I’ll try to start up Gal Civ III or not. It’s intimidating me.

Oh man, that reminds me I should probably try to play The Old Blood before the new Wolfenstein is released. I understand that game is pretty short so I think I can do it.

You take one part Necromancer, and mix with one part Soldier class, and you viola ! You have a Deathknight! Basically, the way I run it is a board and shield (I’m a cautious type, you can use guns or twohanded just fine) with a guardian taking some of the heat off of me, and lots and lots of lifedraining on enemies! Loving it so far, and am at level 31 so far.

lol, sorry - I meant sword and shield :-D

Here are my guys!

Loaded up Crashlands the other day and found it utterly charming. Too bad the combat is so grindy that after three hours I’m done with it.

Also started Has Been Heroes and after getting the hang of it will probably play this more this weekend.

I may also finally load up Batman Arkham City. Yes I know, way behind. Job, kids, commute, what can you do 😁

I’ll be finishing up Orwell and continuing my playthrough of Total War Hammer II for the most part.

I also installed Furi last night and I found the first boss battle fun but I’m not a huge fan of the control scheme. Maybe it’ll grow on me…

I didn’t really intend it, but my weekend gaming became Yakuza Kiwami this morning around 10AM and I didn’t stop until like 5PM! Wow… I think I must have really been in the mood for old school SEGA or something? Tons of fun busting up some fools, playing darts, hitting baseballs and just feeling super cool.

Fortnite, Fractured but Whole (have not clicked for me yet)… maybe I will sleep, I don’t find anything interesting at the moment.

Ended up finishing DOOM. Notably started the game in August 2016 but never really felt all that compelled to finish it until this last week, mostly to free up the 70 gigs it was taking.

I kinda miniblogged it over in the dedicated game thread, but I managed to complete Alien: Isolation this weekend. Not a huge deal but it felt like on to me, I’m proud of myself for sticking it through. Just one of those things that pokes a childhood terror and still manages to get under my skin. I had tried to play it on my 360 back on release, got maybe a third of the way through and pretty much noped out. So I figured hey, it’s October, let’s do something spooky and this was right at the top of the list. Now it’s behind me, and I feel better!

Old School Star Wars shooter weekend! Decided to actually play some of those old GoG gems I buy but never get around to playing.

Started with Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. Raven Software made competent shooters that never, ever rose above competent. Outcast had some egregiously-bad lack of signposting in their levels. And, like 90% of people who played the game, I quit Outcast in disgust during sniper town. I’m pretty sure I got past this level back in the day, but who in the hell has time for that now? As for Jedi Academy, I fiddled with it through like three or four missions, realized I wasn’t having fun, and uninstalled.

Next was Dark Forces JKII. This took up a good chunk of my weekend. Cranky old engine certain could create some spacious levels. Pretty fun, except for some fiddly “what, you missed this tiny strip of geometry you’re supposed to jump on to continue?” that cause you to wander around the whole level for an hour before noticing. You know, old-school. Saber fights… the less said about, the better. Quit after beating the girl Sith, because I’m pretty sure the next level is a shooty level and after that is the boss saber fight where I’ll have to cheeze the hell out of it to win.

Republic Commandos wrapped it up. Definitely not as good as everyone says it was. Bullet sponge enemies right off of the bat, and that annoying level where you are under a 5 minute constraint to hack an objective, all the while being under fire by said bullet sponge enemies. I completed that mission with literally 1 second left. I’m past that now, but the squad interaction isn’t enough to keep my interested any more.

It’s nice to be able to put those old chestnuts to their final rest, though.

It’s a crime that this discussion is going to be lost in this thread. But nevertheless: Thank you! Everyone looked at me as if I was crazy when I said Jedi Outcast had terrible signposting. I was constantly lost in that game. For a list of games I’ve finished but hated throughout, that tops the list I think. i just don’t understand why people think Jedi Outcast is remotely competent for this reason.

I first played this in 1999, 3 years after it came out, and it blew me away. And then I replayed it around 2006 and was surprised at how well most of it held up. But I agree that the boss saber fights were just something you had to tolerate and get through. And sometimes it was hard to find out where to go next, but nothing as bad as in Jedi Outcast. (I never played Jedi Academy, because after Jedi Outcast, why would I ever trust another Raven game in the same universe?)

I agree. I played Republic Commandos in 2010, I think, years past when it came out, and it didn’t hold up well at all. I was really surprised at how uneven the difficulty was, and how it was at once too easy at times, and too hard at other times. Just a mess from a game design point of view, I thought. I eventually got stuck somewhere and never bothered to go back.

Now do Force Unleashed 1 & II. Come on! You gotta keep going.

Nope. I’ve decided that if a)one is in a Star Wars game, and b)one isn’t in the cockpit of a starfighter, then c)the game is shite or just doesn’t interest me.

I mean, I’ve never even been able to finish KOTOR 1 or KOTOR 2 (patched). These aren’t bad games. I just can’t will my way though them.

And EAW should be my go-to RTS since it’s basically a little Scharmers’ dream come true. But I don’t get far with it, either.

This weekend, I finally figured out the Halloween jumping puzzle in Guild Wars 2 and played a fair amount of Final Fantasy VI.

I also started playing Risen, which seems strange, but I’ve been lurking in the Elex thread and got intrigued by everyone’s peripheral recollections of PirahnaByte’s previous games. Risen was the only one I had in my Steam library (from a sale long ago, I’m sure), so I installed it and am giving it a shot.

Wait, so Dark Forces was officially “Jedi Knight II”?

I played a good deal of the Mac port of Dark Forces waaay back in '95 or so. Got to some level on a mining planet where I couldn’t figure out how to proceed and kept getting crushed by some giant machine. Does that sound familiar? I wonder if anyone ever did a let’s play of the game and I could figure out where I went wrong.

Anyway yesterday I spent something like 7 hours playing Assassin’s Creed Revelations, which is pretty decent. I think the bomb-crafting and tower defense stuff is kind of superfluous, but I like the hook thingy (and honestly am not sure I’m using it to its full advantage). I just have to finish this one to complete Ezio’s story, having finished II (way back on the 360) and Brotherhood within the last few months.

Reversed, Jedi Knight is Dark Forces II.

THEN you get Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

OK, that makes sense, since Jedi Knight was very early “eye-bleeding-causing” 3D by today’s standards, and Dark Forces still used sprites (although, as I recall, it at least did a pretty good job of faking full 3D with regard to the maps/terrain, or maybe it was real 3D?

Back in the day, this wallpaper was on my monitor for well over a year.

Aka, the emo Jedi.