What have you played in the weekend?

I am going to get some good flight time in the F-15 in DCS. Even though it’s simple to fly it’s far from simple to master. A lot to be enjoyed even in the simlite versions of DCS.

I am enjoying DCS in VR so much lately all my 2D games seem to have lost some of their allure.

However, I will probably find some time this weekend to finish Prey. I am right at the end but for some reason didn’t persevere. I did really enjoy it so picked up Mooncrash as well - if only to encourage more development of the franchise. I may give Mooncrash a bit of a spin too if time permits.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OMG STARFLIGHT

So yeah, it’s one of the best games ever. Go and launch without doing the code wheel. ;)

Yeah, for a modern gamer, I’d recommend the Sega Genesis version over the DOS version for a wide variety of reasons.

I’ll be sure to try to get to Switzerland, we aren’t very far. We are going to Austria in July. We are staying in Innsbruck, going to the national park east of there, and visiting castle neuschwanstein. I love mountains.

Innsbruck is very cool. My only complaint is I wish I had more than an afternoon to spend there. All I had was half a day while driving from Venice to Munich.

And I love mountains too. Mountains rule.

I played Ark Survival Evolved on the QT3 servers. I died countless times. Thankfully some players helped me. I now have a big dino to protect me, which almost died twice.

I have a base that is near a cliff. So I am building my base, and my pet dino falls off the cliff. While this is bad, what is worse, is what was waiting at the bottom of the cliff, a T-rex. My pet just barely pulled it off (I was shooting the t-rex with tranq arrows, but I do not know if it did any good). Then when my pet was at half health still, another of its kind walks up to me. I have no idea if they were friendly or not, being herbivores, I assumed they were. I was wrong. I died, but my pet managed to kill the critter and just had a thread of health.

Then I died about 4 more times (and still will probably die more times to this) when trying to make a bridge up to a plateau that has metal deposits. There is some crack in the bridge I get stuck in, and then I float off the bridge and fall to my death.

Anyway, my weekend was mostly about dying a lot.

I played some Slay the Spire and went back to old iPad apps for some reason.
There were some International Career Snooker (it was named something else before, but I forgot what), at which I am really terrible. I mostly won frames by exploiting the AI in creating silly snooking positions.
I spent some time with Xenoshyft. The game has still issues but it is much more playable that it was previously. I am not sure about the game itself though.
When you get faced with hands such as this

early, you got basically nothing to do but start over. It is strange for a game devoid of dice to feel so RNG driven?
Finally I spent some time with Sentinels of the Multiverse. Probably spent more time reading and examining the details of the cards than I spent during the two games I played. I love figuring out the lore of this game: it’s like a Dark Souls inventory for the player to exploit at his fingertips. And mechanically, the crazy interactions make think of the joy of discovering new strategies each time in Slay the Spire. Full-circle!

As expected, I spent a lot of my surfeit of gaming time running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

I bopped back into Witcher 3 for a bit. I was almost too overwhelmed by the interface/inventory stuff I’d forgotten (Um, do I want the Kwan sign or the Vebo sign? I can never remember… and what’s the key to meditate? And how do I make potions, or are they automatic? And what the hell am I supposed to do in combat besides mash the button a lot?). But since it mostly turned out to be cutscenes I went with it. Christ, this game is so huge. I just randomly interacted with a door in Novigrad and ended up watching 20 minutes’ worth of fully-voiced dialogue in a bathhouse and getting another quest or two. CD Projekt Red must have their content pipeline locked in pretty good.

I spent a few hours on Lords of Xulima, which kind of pissed me off, because just as I was starting to get into it, it threw up a bunch of impassable walls my way. Like, every direction you want to go in, there’s an unkillable monster standing there. And you can’t grind your way to competitiveness because the zones don’t respawn after being cleared. That was pretty annoying.

As much as I love Inquisitor - Martyr you guys, I lost several hours to Steep this weekend. It’s so good you guys.

What I really played: the first two. So good.

I thought I was going to get back to Baldur’s Gate but instead got sidetracked into Crimsonland.

There’s something about the simplicity of the 10tons games I like.

Dark Souls 2 for me. After wrapping up Battletech, I was in the mood to take a break from strategy and get my hands dirty, and this has been fitting the bill nicely.

I already have it on “Don’t hurt me”… I just wanted to play through it before starting The New Colossus. Urgh. I hate hard boss fights =(

I found this guide:

Final New Order boss fight

Final Boss: Defeat Deathshead

Take cover behind the protective glass, turning your back to it. Use your Laserkraftwerk to cut a hole in the fence, then go through and turn either left or right. Follow the path all the way along and up some stairs until you reach a turret. Hop in the turret, then look to the sky where you will see a blimp that is used to power Deathshead’s shield. Shoot the blimp down and then disembark from the turret.

Sprint to the opposite side of the courtyard and climb up a second set of stairs, hopping in the second turret and taking down another blimp. From here on out, feel free to use Hand Grenades and the always trusty Laserkraftwerk to finish off the first part of the fight. You didn’t think it was that easy, did you?

Drop down through the gaping hole in the floor to face off with Mecha Deathshead. There are no tricks to this one, just keep away from his firepower, avoid the flames and deal damage when you can. You’ll find wall chargers for your Laserkraftwerk around the area, so try to keep it charged at all times.

As Deathshead shoots, more flames will erupt and the area will fill with smoke. Rather than aim down sight, fire from the hip. This turns your crosshairs red when you are on target, and makes finding Deathshead in the smoke much easier.

Shoot him with your Laserkraftwerk, throw Hand Grenades and keep moving. After awhile he will fall to the ground, ending the final boss fight. Move in on Deathshead to finish the job and beat the game.

Maybe that will help? It’s been too long, so I don’t actually remember the fight myself, even after reading that description.

I think I hid under a staircase and plinked the final boss to death. I ain’t too proud to cheese a bad guy.

In case anyone here was having any inkling of doing the same thing, do not. Do not give these people your money. Do not even visit their website. Click nothing. They used to be a very small development team, they still are, but they’re volunteers now, and they’re insane. I’d go into detail but I don’t think anyone cares. I regret what I’ve done.

I care! Sounds like an interesting story.

Man, if we all limited ourselves to only posting things people cared about, I’d only have about two posts.

I will be playing Xenoblade 2 on the Switch. And by “playing,” I mean watching an anime with interactive grindy elements.

Maybe tomorrow, too tired.