What have you played in the weekend?

I’ve been playing Sundered, and it has its hand-drawn Lovecraftian procedurally generated Metroidvania hooks in me! I knew I would like the artwork, but I’m also surprisingly okay with the procedurally generated part–which I normally would eschew in a Metroidvania. It also likes to overwhelm you when you explore a little too far… and then make you feel amazing when you blaze through the same area later like a god of destruction. I think this game is really great, and seems to have not gotten enough attention. Hopefully you all grabbed it when it was free on the Epic store (I’d had it in my backlog for awhile).

I don’t think you ever “win” Stardew Valley. Man I love that game though. (If there is a “victory” condition I’ve never found it either. I don’t know if I’ve ever played past year 3 before feeling satisfied and putting it down for a while and then later starting over, but…yeah.)

I guess the “victory” condition is getting your grandpa’s full approval in the dawn of the third year and the “Statue of Perfection” that accompanies it. Of course, you can keep playing (and there’s plenty to see after that), and the reward for that “win condition” actually helps a lot in moving further in the “endgame”, so to speak.

Just finished this, it is SO good. That story engaged me. I cried.

Picked up the PC version of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey during the holidays and it has dominated my gaming time ever since. I played this at launch on the PS4 but it is nice to go back and play it again with the quality of life tweaks added in. Played through the main campaign again with Kassandra but planning on doing the expansions with Alexios through NG+.

Finished up Particle Fleet Emergence, ummm that ending was… abrupt and unsatisfying. :)

I’m playing some Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey. The world is lovely, and there’s certainly no shortage of stuff to do or systems to interact with, but I can’t help feeling that the protagonist is markedly weaker than Bayek was. I miss the clearcut sense of justice and the driving need for answers - it’s unclear what motivates Kassandra other than cash. I keep hoping for something I can latch onto…

There is a compelling personal story that reveals itself as you play through that speaks to their motivation but in the end Kassandra/Alexios really are blood soaked mercenaries. I don’t tug too much on that thread while I am playing though.

Long weekend here! I played some solo Pax Pamir (2nd Edition) boardgame, and enjoyed it so much that I may play some more today.

I’m also tinkering a bit in Elder Scrolls Online because I’m not sure what else I want to play… It feels like I’m just wasting time. :P

Though thanks to another thread I do kind of want to revisit Divinity: Original Sin 2

AoW: Planetfall (the AoW3-vibe is back!). And Trailmakers (the campaign; it’s a very good game btw) - perfect children’s game. Learn, master and overcome the obstacles by clear thinking. Unfortunately it seems most children would do better than I do… trying the same thing for the 100th time although it’s not working

Kingdom Come:Deliverance. I am probably 12 hours into this now and except for combat I am pretty comfortable with the game. I rescued Hans and am set up with my Liege Lord, so things are looking up. Nice having a horse.

Is that the long-delayed Korean game with sexy elves?

Two Point Hospital. Just played the first scenario, but I’m really impressed with the game’s polish and its presentation. I sorta missed the train on Theme Hospital back in the day (played it a little in the Qt3 Game Club way back when?), but this seems like a very solid update. We’ll see if it holds up.

I started off the weekend with some Trials of Fire. Fun game that gives me a little bit of a Gloomhaven feel.

Nice, I need to get back to that game, maybe I should grab the dlc while its on sale cheap.

I’ve thought about it, but the base game kinda got repetitive. I stopped maybe 2/3s of the way through.

Outer Wilds (Xbox One Gamepass)

I’ve reinstalled this and I’m going to try it a second time. It showed up on a lot of GOTY lists, so this time around I’m willing to try harder to tolerate the frame rate issues on Xbox long enough to get into the meat of the game.

Ace Combat 7 (Xbox One)

I’m also going to try this one again. Unlike Outer Wilds I actually own this game but drifted away from it because I hated sinking a hour into a mission only to lose all my progress and having to start over because I died or missed a step. Rumor has it that later missions handle this better, and I am willing to find out… because I actually enjoy the core gameplay.

This weekend? D&D, D&D and D&D.

Nope. No elves in this one. No Koreans either. Just a lot of Eastern Europeons.