What have you played in the weekend?

I loved Unity. But then I think AC3 was awesome and Black Flag kinda sucked, so take that for what it’s worth.

So after playing some version of Dark Souls for ever, I will be changing to something else this weekend. Especially since they are predicting rain.

I am thinking of re-playing Bioshock before moving into Bioshock:Infinite. The other option is Fallout 4.

What the hell is WRONG with you?

I like what I like, that about sums it up.

I just, man, I dunno. I mean, AC3 with its tree-hopping and 2-feet-off-the-ground American buildings and etc. etc. versus swashbuckling and building your pirate trap and naval combat and all that… your mindset is just so alien

AC3 Homestead and Frontier areas were fantastic.

The cities are where the game suffered, 2-3 story buildings did indeed suck.

AC4 Pirates was best when you were on the boat. The cities sucked here also and I hated the tiny islands everywhere. Also the main character wasn’t my favorite. I actually liked Connor better.

All right, I’ll try to explain. I like AC3 because it finally did something interesting with the concept of reliving a person’s memories and lived experiences through their eyes. I also liked (and I recognize I’m likely alone in this) the opportunity to see things from the Templar perspective, and play as Haytham. And I loved the homestead you could build up and populate with folks who could help you. It felt like a real town.

I didn’t care for Black Flag’s attempt at oceangoing adventuring. I didn’t like many of the characters, in fact only Mary Read’s attempt to live as a man among pirates was at all interesting. Certainly not blank slate Kenway, who was even less interesting, and less motivated, than Connor in AC3. But I was mainly annoyed by the corners they had to cut to fit open seas’ piracy into an AC game. The ships were so great, piloting the ship, manning the cannons, climbing the crows nest felt right. But they drop you into such a tiny space that’s crammed with enemy ships and weirdly hostile sea life, and there’s nothing to do but shoot holes in other ships. They give you such awesome tools and then stick you in a playpen. AC3 did this better - they didn’t even attempt an open world/Sea, just a target to take down, then back to land. Black Flag felt like a swindle to me.

Certainly not blank slate Kenway, who was even less interesting, and less motivated, than Connor in AC3.

high fives @divedivedive

(Shrug) I’m sure there’s deeper psychological issues here, but whatever

;)

Anyway, until that bloated Doom 6 engined WolfenSTEEN downloads, I’m playing FEAR 2. I (re)purchased F1 and F2 from GOG to get the DRM free versions and had a good old time mowing down fools in F1 during the week. Most people say that F1 is better than F2 but I’d argue F2 has far better (and intense) combat and a more creepy atmosphere. There were only a few “horror” moments in F1 (strange for a supposed “horror shooter”) but F2 has many more.

I’m playing Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, which I’m liking more than I thought I would so far. I hope it lasts. I haven’t played The Golf Club 2 in about a week, so maybe I’ll get back to that, or some Big Pharma.

https://i.imgur.com/JQB7k.gif

I will try to finish up Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst this weekend. That will clear the way for me to get back on the Assassin’s Creed train next week.

I might also dabble in some Destiny 2 to see if any Scout rifles will ever drop for me again.

Also, I tried Trackmania Turbo yesterday, since it’s the free GwG game. And holy shit, this is fun!

For me it should be mostly Assassin’s Creed: Origins, Guild Wars 2, and Heat Signature. Maybe something else if I get the time, but I have lots of non-gaming stuff to do, including a small project to (finally) get properly started with Rust.

More Nier Tomato and more Cuphead!

Super Mario Odyssey
Assassin’s Creed: Origins

Not sure there’s time for anything else!

Spintires, Warsim, and maybe Tooth and Tail if I find an opponent sharing my time frame.

1st LAN party of the winter (we usually have 3), 6 people over 45 in a basement from Friday night until Sunday. Dirt, Ashes of the Singularity, Killing Floor 2, Rocket League will see heavy rotation. OffWorld Trading Company will be the new game in town, We all bought it during the Halloween sale and are only allowed to play the tutorial so it will be 6 newbies stumbling around. Should be fun (Mojito’s are the drink this weekend).

Breath of the Wild on Switch. I had this on WiiU, and was probably around 35% through when I got distracted and never got back to it. Much easier when I can play as handheld whenever I like. I don’t love everything about it, but for the most part it’s beautiful and artistic. The world amazes me with its size and richness. I am only one Divine Beast in atm, but have explored many more nooks and crannies this playthrough.

Love the Switch.

I lost my game of Holland ‘44 as the Germans so we are switching sides and I will try the Allies. Sunday! 5AM!

Wolfenstein The Old Blood. I am trying to clear it from my backlog so I can play Wolfenstein 2 guilt free this Xmas. Having a blast so far!