What have you played in the weekend?

I am re-playing Bioshock before I play Bioshock Infinite for the first time. I played this many years ago and I remember having trouble getting started. I am not having any trouble with most of the enemies as they are pretty easy, but those Big Daddy’s, they still are tough as hell. What I really like about this game is the atmosphere, the sounds and sights.

Shadow of War is a deep discount game for me, based on my time with the first one.

I’ve played a good amount of the other two and Elex is my favourite - it has a certain charm and character, but then I love clunky Euro RPGs, and PB games in particular. They all have their detractors though so firm consensus here is unlikely… good luck. :)

For my own weekend, I’ll be playing the rather sublime Super Mario Odyssey.
And damn … the new Diablo 3 season is here, but I do have Nioh to keep me company so I’ll likely favour that for the most part.

I recommend replaying Bioshock 2 as well. In my opinion, it is underrated.

Grim Dawn and DERPSPACE.

Still playing Divinity Original Sin 2, still enjoying it. About to move to Act 3 so I guess there’s a chance I’ll finish it this weekend.

I played it after my original Bioshock play thru a couple years ago. I may end up replaying it before I do Infinity. I remember it as being not as long but having an interesting ending.

I think it contributes some interesting ideas that contrasts the first one. I never got around to playing the MP, though.

I quit Guild Wars 2, which leaves much room to fill.
I am planning on playing Pike and Shot Campaigns (completed the tutorial scenarios: the game is much simpler than I thought), Spintires and Streets of Rogue.
No Tooth & Tail still, I guess…

Will this be a negative? Is there enough to keep it interesting? Have you played Batttlefield Academy and is it more simple than that? Do you feel like you’re being interrogated?

To me, this is a positive. The main decision seems to be when to commit to melee, which is something that echoes the historiographical trends in podcasts I have been listening to for the past few years. Melee is a commitment: you have basically no control over the units implied once it starts. I enjoy sometimes seeing rounds of melee between tercios, with barely a victim on either side, as it fits the picture I draw in my mind. But I understand all this may not be everyone’s take. The RNG feels big, but you can affect the odds by your strategic moves, ideally.
I also love military simulation based on morale, and the mechanics (part of which a cascading effect of routing units) feel really smart to me.
All in all, it is a depiction of the chaos of battles and how to infer with it that appeal very much to my (mis?)conceptions on the subject.

But the main thing to me is the theme. That period of European history is my absolute favourite. Throwing in some classical music, my yesterday’s late afternoon was a real delight.

Still, all this is only after spending two hours with it. Will call back when the honeymoon is over.

Ahhh, OK good. I’ve heard good things about Pike and Shot and was hoping your initial impression wasn’t down on it.

You will be missed.

I may be back, when I am over raging some of those jumping puzzles zones :E

Late to the party but, Motorsport Manager, really fun, and I generally don’t care for management sims.

I moved on from The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Don’t want to replay stuff from last checkpoint).

I caved in and got Opus Magnum and have had fun trying to match other people on the leaderboard. Based upon other people’s solutions, the game definitely allows for puzzles to be solved in a variety of ways. I’m still very early on. Finding a solution hasn’t been difficult, but optimizing the solutions has been very challenging.

I played the first couple chapters of The First Templar and it is brimming with mediocrity. I’m not sure how the reviews on Steam are mostly positive. Can definitely tell this is a Kalypso published game. How long to beat says around 13 hours for this, but I think my 77 minutes was probably enough.

I think I may fire up Motorsport Manager and see how that is.

Stayed up playing this:

I went from kind of really disliking the game, to being too stubborn not to win at least one to working on my fourth explorer victory. .It’s an… acquired taste I think.

I stopped at phase 1 of your progression. What turned it around for you?

I understand the game better now, like the mechanics behind it and how they work together. It’s not enough to really understand your companions and how to use them, you need to know how to use them together… perfectly by expedition 5/6. There is no point in having that cook if you aren’t going to hunt, a lot. That Shaman has a set of dice that doesn’t combo very well with other combat dice, so he’s not the best in a hunting party despite the idea of healing even if he does upgrade later. Oh and knowing who to upgrade first, also important… One of the best companions for a hunting rifle group is actually the journalist. I upgrade him as soon as I can so he can combo pretty quickly.

That that damn donkey most start with is your weakest link and you need to replace him if you can. Early on it’s going to feel like a wasted swap out but you need the space later. If you’ve got a rifle, you want at least two people with blue dice so you can get your best shot almost every battle. Barely making it past your 2nd or 3rd expedition with one or two moon stones so you can focus on making good decision in 5 and 6 whether than being forced to take that Celestial Shrine (that punishment is pretty awful), is better than breezing through it. And of course if you are not going to do combat, stockpile those flutes and that rocket. If you you’re not fighting, stick to the red mushrooms or the healing kit… you don’t need both.

Oh and you can store your treasure to take back with you at a few building in the map, so get rid of the stuff that doesn’t stack… and try not to do anything that takes out that building and your precious treasure.

It’s kind of like this is one of those rogue-like games where you have to figure things out and lose and get frustrated a lot before it clicks… but the presence of that tutorial makes you think otherwise. Personally, I dislike most rogue-like games.but I do like exploration and survival games like Don’t Starve, Thea and this one. I’m waiting for Renowned Explorers to grow on me but after Curious I don’t feel like I am exploring anything in Renowned.

Maybe I’ll have to consider trying it again in the future. If I remember right, I liked the combat better in this one that in Renowned Explorers. I didn’t like how the mood or whatever it was is managed in the encounters.

I am having trouble with the combat too in Renowned. You’d think because it’s not dice it and it’s a percentage it would feel less random than it does. It doesn’t feel like I am exploring though which kind of dampens my enjoyment of being an explore. I just move from one dot to another and roll against skills to find things… but it took a while for Curious to grow on me so it will get more time too.

Now I should mention, I do rage quit Curious on occasion. It’s like fking hell, we spent one night without food (sanity) and all this happened!