What have you played in the weekend?

I am playing Shadowhand (which is as good as I expected it to be, and I was expecting a lot!), Dominions 5 (which is eating 1/5 days of my waking time everytime I launch it, brrr) and Heat Signature (which I ragequit a lot).

So if I was to look for a Far Cry game to buy this discount season which one should I start with?

I’ll probably keep replaying Call of the Juarez: Gunslinger for the time being. I liked it a lot when it was released and completed it on hard. Now I’m playing it on the hardest difficulty. I think this makes me like the game less than I originally did. Some of the boss battles are very frustrating for me. The most recent example is the dynamite throwing guy that you fight at the mines. The enemies have higher ground and I could die very quickly with a couple quick shots against me. I think I’d be better off ditching the story mode and play the arcade.

I’ve also been playing Last Hope: Tower Defense and it is OK. The changing spawn points can be a bit frustrating. I’m probably 12 scenarios in.

Shadowhand, Brass, and Dom 5.

Been playing the hell out of LOTRO for the last week or two. I really, really want to see Mordor so I expect that to continue this weekend.

Not a ton of time for gaming this weekend. Totally need to cover this for the blog:

For myself, I need to get in some:

That’ll likely be it, but it’ll be good stuff.

Best one is Far Cry 2. The beginning leads you to believe that it’s going to be some open world game where you get to interact with people, but no, once the fighting starts, everyone is hostile. Once you go in accepting that, it’s a different way to look at a first person shooter. I really enjoyed it a lot. Be sure to enjoy the scenery and look for diamonds so that you can buy weapons from the weapon shop. Always go down to the local hut to make sure your buddy is ready to go in case you need help.

I thought Far Cry 2 was really good, but I can see how a lot of people found it annoying, what with the malaria, the respawning checkpoint enemies, and the degrading weapons (if there’s a mod to get rid of that last one I may go back to it).

Awww, no way man. The degrading weapons were my favorite part. When you’re in the middle of a fire fight and your weapons jams, and you’re frantically trying to unjam it and look around the grass field to see if there’s any cover nearby? The unpredictability in the fights is what made for super exciting moments.

You’d better seriously love shooting people, because Far Cry 2 it’s only that. I mean it’s really just Doom with malaria.

This weekend kicks off a vacation week for me, and we’re staying home for this one, so I’m about to get some good gaming in!

Definitely: Nioh, Rimworld, ME3, Eve Online
Possibly also some AC3, replay of Prey, and might break down and buy Spellforce 3 if a decent patch comes out.

Started playing Mad Max on the PS4 and loving it. Recently watched the Black & Chrome edition of Fury Road, which put me in a Mad Max mood. The genius of this game is your sidekick, Chum Bucket, who is always with you and motivating you to improve your wheels. He’s like a distant cousin to Glottis.

Hear hear would read again.

Mad Max had a couple of issues but it was grossly underrated in reviews at the time.

I never thought of that but … yeah, he kinda is!

If there was ever a shooter that was designed for a gamepad, it’s certainly that one. The use of analog sticks to adjust your position when crouched etc is absolutely the entire thing that’s great about the game.

Thanks! Been looking at Wolfenstein so I’m downloading the demo at least now :)
Think I have Just Cause 3 sitting around, if that would do the trick

Probably finish Prey and play the Monster Hunter Wotld Beta.

Okay so I love Wolfenstein II. Now I just have to figure out who won’t be recieveing a Christmas gift in order for me to afford it before January. Hmmm…

Played some more The Curious Expedition. It is okay, it hasn’t grabbed me as much as Renowned Explorers: International Society did. It feels more random. Haven’t really put a lot of effort into mastering the dice system yet.

I picked up the DLC for Dragon Age: Inquisition, but had some trouble getting it to run. Apparently it doesn’t play nice with my antivirus. Also, the Dragon Age Keeps doesn’t seem to sync all my achievements from my first playthrough :(

During the Black Friday sales I snagged a Steam key for 24 bucks from a French storefront called DLGamer. Are you signed up on isthereanydeal ? That’s how I found out about it.

Speaking of that DLGamer place, it appears that right now they’ve got the Windows version of GTA V down to $24 right now. That’s the lowest I’ve seen it. I’m sort of tempted just to screw around with it, and for mods, because I never did get to see it in its true hi-def glory–only ever played the 360 version. Anyone know if the framerate is capped?

BTW @kristina, you should definitely play around with Just Cause 3. The load times at certain junctures are kind of brutal in a couple of places, unless they’ve fixed them, and I suppose depending on your CPU–when I first played I was still using a stock i5 2500k, and one particular load time, at the point where you play a battle that finally lets you loose on the open world after completion, took what seemed a minute and a half.

Still, the game is a ton of fun if you can get past the silly idea that you’re liberating a place by blowing up all its infrastructure. Alas the fake accent of the major villain is truly egregious. I don’t know where they get these people. Everyone else is pretty much OK.