What have you played in the weekend?

I’ll be playing AoW3…over a LAN…

shoukd be interesting.

My flight sim money probably needs to go to a graphics card next, rather than the Hornet (which I want, eventually) or the Persian Gulf map (which I need, eventually). 20-30fps makes Harriers and helos really difficult—not enough time to react in a hover or when behind the tanker unless I’m very careful.

I did put the Harrier down on the Tarawa successfully last night, although I was way over the jet pipe limit temperature because I didn’t dump enough fuel before coming back—I had the ‘J’ hexagon and about a four-inch line off the end of it. Compounding my poor approach and poor landing was the master caution alarm, which was going off because I’d set my bingo fuel too high. “Oh no! I’ve broken the jet!” I thought to myself, plonking it down as quickly as I could.

I’ve a lot of open, free time tomorrow to myself, so I plan to hit a bunch for the blog, including:

Though how I plan to get five entries out of this thing, I’ve no idea. I also need to hit:

For myself, definitely more time with:

Will definitely be a good time.

What is Wing Commander Academy? I assume it’s some kind of fan project?

No, it’s an official 1993 game in the series.

Basically it was “Oh shit, Wing Commander III isn’t ready yet, we need to throw something at people.”

There were two weird entries in the Wing Commander games.

Academy was, I believe, the last of the 2D engine WC games.
Armada was thrown together to do something with the WC3 3D engine, maybe a test bed. WC3 was hella over-budget and overdue at that time (hmm, that Chris Roberts magic!)

Neither was all that great.

edit: did I get those backwards?

Pretty much.

Yeah, great premise, poor actual gameplay.

That’s why they’re so forgettable. I’mma gotta cover 'em though.

Dying Light again. Played a bit more over the last few days, and combat did in fact get easier after leveling up and getting better weapons. Gaining access to some finishing moves helped too.

Initially I thought that weapon level restrictions were tied to my character’s power level, but soon realized that they’re tied to my survivor level instead. If I’d known that from the start, I probably wouldn’t have sweated the early combat so much.

PoE II for sure. Maybe I’ll try Battletech again. The game has hung on either the opening scene, or the first launch screen the three times I’ve tried to launch it. I updated my video drivers today so who knows.

My god, that is horrible. To be so close to playing this most epic of games, and yet fail. That would depress the hell out of me.

Me, I’m going to be playing some Battletech! Maybe I’ll launch Age of Wonders 3, but why, I have Battletech!

I keep restarting Far Cry 5 just because it’s so fun to tackle the stuff with different approaches. It’s never been challenging on Normal, but it is certainly relaxing to wander around Montana (and, as a North Idaho boy: kudos to Ubi Canada for nailing the look of the scenery!) shooting things.

I’m wondering if Battletech is going to get a balance pass. I’ve started over there a few times too just to enjoy the grind and pleasure of running through actual !!BATTLETECH!! on my PC.

I won’t be playing State of Decay 2 because I refused to pay $20 to play 4 freakin days early.

Finally finishing Layton v Phoenix tonight! As all Phoenix games do for me, it has been a bit of a slog towards the end, but the story beats are worth it, even if I can call some of them well before they officially reveal. As always the reactions of the witnesses are the best part; the judge is particularly priceless in this one. And for once the Layton puzzles actually have a point and work well with the game, making it my favorite Layton game by a large margin.

I started Stories: something something Destiny on ps4 again and I’m not sure why I stopped playing the first time around, it is great fun so far. We’ll see if it holds up.

Then I’ll probably keep plugging away at Slayaway Camp on Switch by myself and Donkey Kong with my kid, both excellent times.

Yeah I don’t know what the deal is. I can hit New Campaign but it just sits at a loading screen forever. I’ve just uninstalled, reinstalled, updated drivers, and now I’m an hour in game (according to Steam) and haven’t even seen the damn game yet. A quick search revealed that this is affecting a lot of players. Time to refund and let the developers finish cooking the recipe. I’ll get back to it in a few months, or during a Steam sale.

Yeah my experience too. Got through the 1st post tutorial mission though…Never got to see the strategic layer though.

That makes sense really. 30fps does make you anticipate the machine better tho, I bet it did all kinds of good for your flying skill.

Soon 1070s and 1080s are coming down in price, those rock at DCS.

This weekend: Conan, Conan and more Conan.

Played 3 scenarios of Gloomhaven yesterday. I think we’re in the last act of the campaign now.

Today it is Twilight Imperium 4. It is fun, but I think it takes a bit too long than it should.

Downloaded and fired up the demo version of Shadow of War (it’s not a proper “free weekend” in the normal sense, as only the first act is play for free). It looks to have some interesting systems, but is it just me, or does the combat feel “off” somehow? I don’t know if it’s because they added that “hold X for magical glaive weapon” thing, but combat in Shadow of Mordor felt more sprightly. Did they get rid of “getting two hits for one” toward your combo meter by timing the counter button press precisely, or is that something I’ll get later?

Also, is the camera pulled in a little tight in comparison to the earlier game (and is that something that you can change by increasing the FoV)?