What have you played in the weekend?

Bard’s Tale IV

I am ADHD gaming this weekend:

The Bard’s Tale IV
Everspace
Stardew Valley replay
The Sims 4
Logistical
Niffelheim - Nice game just released. 2-d side scoller like Kingdoms, but with mining/building spellunking/etc
And I will probably break down and get either Pathfinder: Kingmaker or Star Control Origins, or Valkyria Chronicles 4 for full price and leave the other 2 for sales.

In my case, it’s the only game I’m getting for the foreseeable future that isn’t part of a Humble Monthly, and I’ll get a hell of a lot of play out of it, if my multiple previous playthroughs on DS are any indication.

SC6 is an adjustment for me- none of my favorites are in this beta, so I’m punishing myself with trying to play Talim.

She’s fun but not used to speedy rushdown characters.

Some Star Traders, if I can find the time, and a few turns of Field of Glory II.

I don’t know. Valkyria Chronicles 4 I guess.

Though I’m feeling like some Skyrim VR, or maybe Elder Scrolls Online.

Gears of War Ultimate - Still making my way through. This game is really tough. There’s been 3 nights in a row when I can’t make it to the next checkpoint. And I’m playing the game on normal you guys.

Star Control: Origins - I’m still exploring my little corner of the galaxy

Overload - Progress has been slow. I finished another room last night though, so I’m encouraged. That’s one room down!

Bard’s Tale IV - going to check out the game again post-patch, and play around with the FOV settings, see if it makes a difference.

Star Control: Origins and NMS. As one does.

I think this weekend will be the 4th consecutive with no games.

😕

Very cool! That Monthly keeps piling on myself too so it’s just one more reason for me to pull out the original cart on DS again.

I do appreciate the digital download mobility of tons of Switch games as a value add, but this one being portable to begin with makes it less appealing to me.

I’ll definitely be playing some DS games though. Infinite Space is another I want to go back to.

Oh no! Why not?!

Forza Horizons 4 most likely. Enjoying the game very much so far!

Good question.

It’s a combination of 2 new jobs, new income streams coming online (and preparation for those) and a vague ennui with games.

I decided I wouldn’t play games just for the sake of playing them, just for the sake of pursuing a habit because it was/is a comfortable habit and a part of my self identity.

Instead i’d just play games because they were, well, fun, and grabbed me.

That does mean my selection criteria have gotten far stricter and I am missing out on a huge number of potentially very fun games.

sadly, recently, other than Planetfall, games are holding more of an academic interest for me.

The upside to this is that when I do eventually start playing again, it’ll be like discovering the hobby anew all over again.

Yeah I’ve been here before, i’m sure you all have too, when games become more work than fun, where the hobby just isn’t fun.

I haven’t played a boardgame in many months, and boardgames are a great great deal of fun, very focussed mechanics many of them.

And then ontop of that you have the simmering, continuing idiocy of certain groups complaining about x, y and z and generally being very whiney and offputting, so much so that I just get a general fatigue, like when people complained about BF5 having women fighters…or the more recent TW mini controversy.

Bah, I just come here now for the mostly interesting discussions. Even when I disagree (often) I still learn something (therefore also often.)

That’s fair. I took a game break for nearly two years a decade ago. Did me a world of good.

That’s never happened to me. Sounds like a nightmare.

Hey, I haven’t played a video game, other than board game adaptations, since finishing Mankind Divided in June. Partly the stress of being an itenerant software guy who is in a series of short term housing arrangements in the Portland metro. Partly that my PC is back in Chicago (see above for why). Partly I’ve been more into boardgaming since I’ve been out here. Pretty reliably at least 2-3 times a week I’m at a local games store for board games. And given the option between more board games or video games?

It’s an easy choice.

Also in the evening I’ve been more inclined to watch old Asian cinema than game too. ‘Do I play a game, or watch a ShawScope film on Netflix?’ 2 hours later…

I haven’t been able to sit down and actually play a video game that isn’t on my phone in weeks.

Phone games, though, hoo boy. My girlfriend and I got back into Pokémon Go recently, and I’ve been doing raids and taking control of gyms almost daily for the last few weeks. We’ve been going out to the park on weekends and walking around the pond (which has roughly eight Pokéstops surrounding it) for hours, and it’s been a lot of fun overall. On top of that, I’ve been super active in Puzzle & Dragons, and I recently started playing Idle Heroes, the poorly-named successor to equally-poorly-named mobile RPG Dungeon Rush, which I played actively for about two years before the lack of other active players killed off updates.

I really want to play regular games again, but I have a strong feeling I won’t really be up for it again until The World Ends With You Final Remix comes out in two weeks.

Started playing 7th Dragon III: VFD on the 3DS this week and I wasn’t expecting to like it so much but I am hooked, so will be playing that. And probably some Divinity Original Sin which I got back into recently.

Metal Gear Solid 5 was free on GWG recently so may try that out, though the last game I played in the series was 2 and I barely put a dent in it. Which reminds me I got both 2 and 3 for the Vita a while ago.

My backlog is endless. I keep meaning to finally unwrap and install GTA 5, I mean, I’ve only had a copy for 3 years or so. I have been buying quite a number of games lately, too. I play less but buy more. My wife commented on it recently, asked if i was stocking up on games for my retirement which is like 20 years away.

I played a bit of Tomb Raider 2013 today, and was stuck in one of the optional tombs that you raid for treasure, with a timed puzzle. The very last bit is where you catch your melee weapon on a stone wall so you can climb up. No matter what I do I can’t seem to swing that weapon when I need to. I think I’m hitting the right button (the Y on the Xbox controller, which is the regular melee attack button), but nothing happens at the critical moment. I hope I haven’t just been hitting the wrong button. It is supposed to be that button, right?

Your post made me remember how I had never finished that game. So today I looked on an old hard drive and found this:

Screenshot

https://i.imgur.com/r3IJHsU.png

Looks like I restarted in 2010 and never got further, but obviously I could pick up where I left off nearly two decades ago.