What have you played in the weekend?

This weekend is looking like it’s going to be a lot of Red Alert 2.

Disastrous gaming weekend continues. Played a little Wonderful 101 on Cemu and forgot what a grind it was. And I don’t think I can tolerate the camera in Darksiders 2.

I think I’ll give up and get some jobs done. I need to get ready for 200 hours with Kingdom Come, Divinity OS 2, and Monster Hunter.

What little time I have this weekend is mostly putzing around in Monster Hunter World. This is so counter to my normal style of game (I’m using it via my son’s shared library), yet I think I’m getting hooked. Maybe I don’t really know my style of game.

I am sorely tempted to upgrade my games collection on the switch, and I think Diablo 3 is the ticket?

You just need to change the way you think about your backlog. If you were to go into somebody’s house and see that they had an entire room built as a library, filled wall to wall and floor to ceiling with books, would you think, you need to stop buying books, you’ll never read all those? Similarly, people build up collections or even libraries of movies, or music. They don’t carry with them the same feeling of obligation that games do.

Now partly that’s because games can have a shelf life - what looked gorgeous or played wonderfully today might not hold up two or three years from now. But I contend that a good game is a good game, and worth checking in on every so often to remind us why we loved it. Also, no reason you can’t collect a bunch of games you may not play today but may totally want for a rainy day. That’s not for everyone, but then again there’s no reason for shame if you do.

I love this post. I used to berate myself about my backlog. Then, this year I started looking at it like you. I enjoy collecting games. Seeing what’s coming next, trying it out, and perhaps playing to completion, shelving it, or coming back later. It was more fun owning the boxes and manuals back in the day but I still love the process.

I love supporting Developers that I respect and want to see more products from. If there is a game type that I want more of, (For me is specifically Turn Based RPG’s) I always jump in right away to show my support.

That’s a great way of looking at it. And you’re right, I have a ton of unwatched movies I’ve purchased in the last few year’s and don’t give it much thought, but I know if I have a couple of free hours one evening I can watch one in its entirety whereas I would need several dozen hours to get the most out of an RPG.

You’re also right about that sense of obligation. I think coming here and to other gaming sites increases that feeling: everyone in a community is talking about Best Game Ever 4, but you can’t be part of the conversation because you’re still making your way through BGE 2 and it’s hard to even be a spectator when you’re trying to avoid spoilers. So it makes you feel like you need to catch up.

I guess I just sometimes question whether my heart is in this hobby if I don’t make time to indulge in it when I can, but I still get enjoyment out of it even with minimal time invested so I answer my own question.

Kicking it old school on the PS2:

No console can ever match the glorious library that belonged to that SonyBox.

There’s a reason it’s the greatest selling console of all time!

I think I bought 2 or 3 new PS2 games this year I was missing in my collection. It’s a shame the Vita wasn’t a bigger success here in the U.S., I imagine there would have been more PS2 ports if it had been. What I would give for a PS4 that was truly backward compatible with the PS2 and PS3.

Is Baroque any good?

I have a PS2 slim in my bedroom. I should break it out.

OH TEST DRIVE EVE OF DESTRUCTION YUSSSSS

It’s good, but hard as nails, and very, very opaque. FAQs will help immensely, but will spoil a lot, too.

The Test Drive series pisses me off something fierce. It was home to some of the worst rubber banding cheating bastard AI in any racing series ever.

I hate it so much.

Eve of Destruction is the best and I’ll fight you.

Sure, I’ll let you have that.

It’s the best game in a series I despise ;)

I played “real life mock trial in a federal case with a fascinating jury deliberation --we had one way mirrors”

yeah I had a tough weekend.

Friday and Saturday we (4 co-defendant lawyers and I) had a huge mock jury trial --professionally done. We had one way mirrors on their deliberations. Most fascinating thing I’ve ever seen in my professional career.

So no I hardly played a thing. Except tonight losing over and over to a Warhammer 2 belgar ironhammer Karak -8 peaks mortal empires campaign.

Yet another EF2000 reading and playing weekend.
Did I tell you about the strategy guide?
Seriously, what an amazing read. As soon as a concept confuses me, the mind reading authors explain it a couple pages later.
This whole thing has become the KSP of dogfighting for me.
I thus grabbed an early xmas toy to reward myself (?).
IMG_1427
(don’t tell my wife)

I forget my manner: an EF2000 weekend post isn’t complete without a poke at @BrianRubin!

Geek Weekend !!! 5/6 person Lan party starting tonight at 6 and goes to Sunday at 6. Old Fashions, Mojitos, Autumns Bottoms up (look it up) , pizza, Chinese, junk food … oh… games too. Dirt 4, Grid 2, Ashes of the Singularity, StarCraft II arcade, Killing Floor 2, Offworld Trading Company plus others. 5 of us over 50 and the wife’s are happy to get a break.

Sir, you’re an inspiration. Are you running Windows 10?

OS X 10.11. I’m playing running various Windows DOSBoxes in Wine, but because it’s a Mac laptop, I can’t plug my old VGA monitor in easily, nor the CM-32L. MT-32 emulation is pretty good nowadays, though!