What have you played in the weekend?

I admire this - running dosbox through wine on osx? Is that a nightmare of kluging or does it kind of work? I ask because I might want to try that on my macbook pro.

Also where did you find a copy of EF2000? Is it available digitally? You are making me want to have a trip down memory lane!

Sadly it’s not…so…yeah…

Fine choice Sir. That thing has the exact same innards as my full metal top-of-the-market grognard-level warthog stick. You should be able to make smooth landings, elegant manoeuvres and precise gun skills with it!

I am using the Easywine app to tie .exes to Wine from the Finder. DOSBox is nice enough to allow such a simple usage.
If you are familiar with DOSBox and don’t need a front end to configure it, running it through Wine works beautifully: I double click the build customized for EF2000 in the Finder and it launches like any app would. It recognizes my joystick without any fuss.
You have lots of options to run Wine on the Mac (custom wrappers you can build, various massive launcher-gui thingies…), but since DOSBox works right out of the… box that, I just use that simple method for it.
On the Mac side, you have Boxer, which is a now defunct but still very sexy port of DOSBox with a lovely front end, screen filters and MT-32 emulation, and ways to access game’s documentation directly from it. Sadly, it’s got a couple of issues: you have to compile it yourself to get a working build on a modern OS X, it is slow (all Mac DOSBox builds really are in my experience, compared to running one in Wine), it doesn’t have the input mapping function of DOSbox (which is very much needed, oftentimes) and it’s got that fancy effect when you use a throttle that will freeze the DOS emulation while you are playing with it!
As for EF2000, as Brian said, nope :( If you find a copy, you will also have to install it, which is a major pain in the ass on modern Windows from what I understand — in Wine it is surprisingly easy.
Because of the way Voodoo emulation works, I run the game at a low res (640x480). You can go way higher, up to your native res, and the voodoo will scale beautifully, but the MFD integration with the cockpit when you zoom in glitches, breaking my carefully built immersion. I prefer the blur!

It’s incredible: I have never had a joystick this good in my hands. I was so used to have to set up deadzones, and limit my own movements to try to achieve precision: while the plastic is cheap, this thing is in a whole other dimension!
I am very, very jealous of the cold feeling you must experience grabbing yours in the morning ;)

It’s cold, hard and so stiff it would give me shoulder aches on extended use before I started working out regularly…

It’s also the fulfillment of a very long dream, especially combined with that other piece of high end flight sim equipment, the oculus rift.

I’m not sure if we’re still talking about joysticks anymore…

Good weekend coming up! Just Cause 4, Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, and Stellaris MegaCorp.

Some combination of Smash, Spider-Man, Diablo 3, God of War, and Final Fantasy XIV. Getting easier to justify a staycation to knock some of these out.

I’m catching up on a huge backlog, and will be playing Far Cry Primal and Dishonored 2, along with the usual League of Legends. League tends to eat a lot of time, so my backlog always grows, but I get to buy all my games on sale or in bundles.

I don’t know. Maybe X4. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey, Pillars of Eternity 2 and Monster Hunter World are likely. Maybe even Guild Wars 2 or Grim Dawn (comfort food-games).

Or maybe I’m too tired to even play games. We’ll see. ;)

If I were an Indian, I’d be Poke-A-HOTAS

When i was like 15 I brought home my first flight stick. Some logitech jobbie. I took a metric fuckton of flak from mom and sis about it looking phallic and kinky and was I sure I liked the girls in class?! that episode inured me forever to feeling shame about the dildo-like properties of my favorite hard, stiff and black desk ornament.

I was thinking about Stellaris, but they absolutely destroyed my precious machine empires with the new patch so I’m deferring that until Wiz gets his planned improvements in. Likely to binge on an assortment of RTS games again, with plenty of time in Red Alert 2: Red Resurrection.

Darkest Dungeon. I have no DLC’s but I’ve finally got a group that might be able to win. Also more RDR2.

Played a game of Agents of SMERSH. Was enjoyable, I liked the encounter book better than the card approach of Arkham/Eldritch Horror.

Going to the Toronto Area Boardgaming Society Convention tomorrow, so will play some board games. Who knows what!?! Maybe an 18XX or whatever else interesting opportunity that shows up.

Kenshi. Totally hooked.

Despite my huge backlog, I just got that and am looking forward to playing it.

Stellaris 2.2 (no MegaCorp) - at least dabbling to familiarize myself with the new mechanics. I have a positive impression, but worry that the other warts in the game are still significant enough to warrant further pause until Wiz finishes his bottom up redo. The AI seems very lame even on Grand Admiral / Aggressive.

Factorio - finally tempted in by a video I saw. It scratches a very good itch. Probably will drop hundreds of hours into this one.

AC Origins - gradual grind through the campaign - love the visuals but can only take a hour or so of the gameplay at a time.

Still discovering new stuff in New Vegas (!)

With the right patches and .DLLs, it’s remarkably stable in Win10.