What have you played in the weekend?

Time for games this weekend! Finally!

Fantasy Strike and other fighting games like Soul Calibur VI or UNIST, since it’s the EVO weekend. Not sure what else… probably Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Oxygen Not Included, and Thea 2: The Shattering if I find the time.

Fire Emblem, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and Stars in Shadow, a game I missed from a while back. Really impressed with it after digging in a bit.

I am really curious to hear your impressions: on paper, it could be the RTS I had been waiting for since Art of Fighting, but it is really hard to get a good picture of it.

Monster Generations Ultimate here. All by myself, snif.

I’m hyped for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw so in the meantime I’ve gone back to Rebel Galaxy. Making enough money is rather difficult for me but I’m starting to get the hang of it.

First impressions are really good. It seems to fulfill its main promise: a streamlined fighting game with the depth of a normal fighting game, but without the difficult in executing moves, combos, etc. But the fundaments are all there - neutral, zoning, poking, grappling, the works.

I need more time with it, but, as I said, first impressions are very positive.

I messed around with Fantasy Strike, and know the creator a bit, as our unis had a bit of a fighting game rivalry back in the day.

The game does a lot of things right and intelligently, but no one plays it. A fighter without any single player content or playerbase just isn’t that good of a game no matter how intelligently it’s designed.

Also, Art of Fighting is very very different. (and hearing fighting games described as an RTS is something I’ve never heard of before) There’s nothing like AOF being made these days- maybe Ultra Fight Da Kyanta 2 on Steam. (That’s a free game and worth a try)

I flew the living daylights out of the DCS F/A-18C now that it’s gotten a lightning pod. This neat bit of kit allows the pilot to pick out things on the ground from way up high and point a laser at them. That laser then guides bombs for beautiful and if done correctly very accurate effect. Fun times.

I upgraded the analog ministick on my HOTAS with the sort of stick found on a gamepad. This is vastly more accurate and quick than the old nub, that was more like the controller found on IBM laptops. Slinging LGB’s is a perfect use case for this enhanced target designation control.

Next weekend Rebel Galaxy, right?

This really isn’t accurate. I’ve already played a lot of fantasy strike during early access, although it was sometimes hard to get a game, there’s a discord server. But since launch, I haven’t had to wait at all, there’s a lot of new players in both casual and ranked.

On steamcharts right now there are 14 people playing, but the game is also cross platform with the Switch so I assume there are some more players over there.

So yeah, not a huge playerbase, and definitely at risk of dying out, but you can’t say ‘no one’ plays it, especially currently.

Doing crossplay was a smart move, it’s going to give the game some more life. It’s going to suffer hard from all the post EVO content though (SF getting 3 new chars even if they play just like every other boring SF5 character, SC getting Cassie+S2, and Tekken getting new stuff soon)

SF and SC are the easiest to get into traditional fighters so they’d eat into Fantasy Strike a bit more. (I remember discussing SC6’s system with Sirlin at PAX South, he was pretty accurate on how most of the game turned out, though he ended up too negative, SC6 is great)

Alas, not till after next weekend, the 13th. Well, assuming you were referring to the upcoming RG: Outlaw.

Speaking of the previous game, though, that’s what I played, and actually advanced the plot a bit.

I am not sure what happened Sunday night, but I ended up re-installing GTA5, and apparently I am near the end of the game (its been at least 2 years since I last played) and I will probably finish it this month!

:D

Turns out Shadow of War is really good - it takes everything that was great about Shadow of Mordor, refines it, then adds a quasi-strategic orc management and fortress assault/defense layer on top of it. I’m really digging it.

Yeah, SoW is pretty great. It’s just the end game that starts to be hella grindy, if you want to see the “real ending”. The devs patched away the worst of the grind, but it’s still there.

Yeah, I may wear out on it before the end, but I’m certainly enjoying the hell out of it right now.

You’ll know when you hit the grindy part. The game up until then is plenty long and really great, and does have an ending that I could live with (and then go on youtube to see the end if I had wanted to grind it out.)

No Man´s Sky!

AOW Planetfall.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Age of Wonders: Planetfall
and dip back into Final Fantasy XIV for a bit while they have 5 days free for returning players.

Metal Wolf Chaos XD, in which I will prove once again that, yes, the sword is still mightier than the pen!