What will you play this festive season?

Oh, and the AC Syndicate thread has me thinking I should skip IV and Unity and just play that before getting to Origins. Any opinions on that?

@Relayer71 your christmas sounds marvelous. Love all your choices. And YES play Syndicate! Can’t really give you an opinion on the skipping part since I haven’t played those two yet, but in terms of story, I don’t feel like Syndicate brings any kind of information (so far, 60% done) to the AC universe that would mess up the chronology. I’d say: throw it in whenever you feel like it.

I usually ask for physical games for Christmas so whatever I end up getting as gifts will be what I play with over the vacation, most likely. I won’t be able to ask for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, as it drops 12/1 and well after anyone in my family would have done their shopping (plus I don’t know I want to wait on that one).

Here is the list of games I’ll be asking for, so one or two (or three?) off this list most likely.

Injustice 2 (PS4)
Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)
Uncharted 4 Lost Legacy (PS4)
Etrian Oddyssey V (3DS)
Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds (PS4)

Nice list!

I forgot about the Horizon expansion. I think my kids will be getting that and the Uncharted 4 one too. Another thing I forgot about…

As for games played over the Holiday when I should be off for at least a week, I expect it will be Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Star Wars Battlefront II and Super Mario Odyssey if I’m not finished by then along with those above expansions. Lord only knows if something will grab me in the Steam Sale, too. I still don’t have Nier: Automata so that’s a possibility…

I may just do that! Victorian Era London intrigues me more than French Revolution Paris. Of course, my list is just wishful thinking…I’ll be happy if I can just get to one of those games anytime soon.

Are there any big PC related releases coming out this year? I am at kind of a loss of what to play over the various holidays. Some of the games I was looking forward to were pushed to 2018. I am looking for something new to sink my teeth into.

You could play, umm… SW Battlefront 2, Nioh, Injustice 2, Need for Speed Payback, Football Manager 2018. Er, Star Ocean 4K Remaster?

I do not think any of those appeal to me. The closest might be Nioh, however, after Dark Souls 3, I am not sure I have the patience to play such games anymore. I got really frustrated with DS3 at certain points.

I am more into RPGs, Open World games, some strategy games, etc. I did recently buy the Cleopatra / Pharaoh City Builder pack which Ill be checking out later. I am currently finishing Dungeons 3 and plan on playing SPAZ 2 after that. I have a feeling SPAZ 2 will not hold my attention very long though, but perhaps it will.

I think as I have gotten older, my tastes in games have narrowed quite a bit.

Get a Switch, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Open World), Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Strategy), and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (RPG) and have a great Holiday playing games anywhere you feel like it!

Alternately, on PC, maybe Hand of Fate 2? Assassin’s Creed: Origins?

Well your initial question was kind of light on parameters… ;)
But yeah I mostly agree.

Nioh is awesome, probably in my top 5 for the year thus far - at least until Xenoblade Chronicles 2 edges it out I’m certain. It’s a lot faster, more fluid, and easier combat game than DS but yeah … it does have it’s share of tough bits. But lots of (some would say meaningless) loot!

And this is the correct answer!

Heh…that’s me. Have Witcher 2 and 3 and not sure if I should start with the second or skip it. Never played the first.

My advice is play The Witcher 3.

TW2 is fantastic. Don’t get me wrong, it’s really good. But you don’t need to have played it to enjoy TW3 (there are several in-game tools, including a really cool encounter early on with a chronicler you can interview, that will catch you up on those events if you wish) and TW3 improves on every single aspect over the already excellent TW2. It’s probably my favorite game for the category of “technical visual excellence” if I had to make up a category that implied amazing art while not claiming to be art.

Plus, TW3 alone will cost you 50-70 hours of your life and you’ll still not barely touch the game’s content, so I do recommend putting your resources (time, energy, interest) into just TW3, at this point.

One thing The Witcher 2 gets better than 3 is that it’s a tight and relatively small game, limited to a few locations and not an open world. You can work through it fairly quickly.

@krayzkrok & @Relayer71 - oh wow, what I wouldn’t give to have TW3 (unplayed) + Holidays coming up. What a combo. I wouldn’t worry about having to play them in the right order, TW3 deserves to be played now, the others can wait.

I too am in this fortunate position…

This is true, but you’re still looking at 25-30 hours.

I’ve got Legacy of the Void lined up, too, after playing the Heart of the Swarm over the summer.

Other than that, I’m really interested in playing Quadrilateral Cowboy and Samorost 3.

OK so I may have been a bit hasty in pronouncing my spending spree over. My eye is now on Dominions 5 and the EUIV and CK2 DLC’s.

Wonder what the Thanksgiving sale will bring in terms of impulse buys…?

The Festive time is nearing, hope everyone gets on point with their plans. :)

I have plans to install both Starcraft 2 expansions tonight.

All is going according to plan! Lots of Deus Ex, with the Dishonored expansion and XCOM WOC lined up. And then who knows what else I will play! Opus Magnum, Wolfenstein… So many choices!

A very happy festive season to you all!