What will you play this festive season?

Hahahahaha.

Ok, progress so far:

I finished Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst, so that’s one item on the checklist.
I finished one more level in Cuphead.
I finished the Grim Dawn expansion on Normal with 1 character, so that’s half an item.
And I got half way through (maybe) Wolfenstein 2, which was not on the checklist.

So 1 + 0.5 + 0.5 = 2 items done, 10.5 items to go.

Headed to the east coast in the morning so what gaming I squeeze in will likely be on my 3ds. So maybe one of the Zelda’s or Layton’s. Really like to grab Picross 3D 2 but the damn thing never goes on sale and I’m not sure about dropping $30 on it, though I did really love the first one.

I have a similar Christmas tradition, though for me it’s usually one game I focus on. It started the year KotOR came out and I brought my Xbox to my sister’s house for a week. That house was always full of people and they’d take turns just watching me play that game and asking about all of the characters. Still one of my favorite gaming memories.

So this year it’s likely going to be Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I’ve already played 4-5 hours so I’m past all of the intro stuff and ready to binge.

LA. Noire and Hidden Agenda are both purchased and installed, PS4 neatly packed in suitcase and tomorrow night I’m arriving at my moms for 4 days with these two games together with my sister :)

We’ll probably also throw some Borderlands in there.

Civ VI on my iPad.

The first thing I play on my new PS4 will be Horizon Zero Dawn. Can’t wait.

My goal this holiday season is to play the following

• Wolfenstein II
  • Grim Dawn Expansion
  • Nioh
  • Yakuza 0
  • Planescape Torment : EE
  • Torment : Tides of Numemera
  • Enigmatis 2

So far most of my time is being spent on Grim Dawn so not sure how far I’m going to get…

Probably Lost Legacy as I hear it’s relatively short and either Divinity 2 or Yakuza 0 which are much longer games.

For what it’s worth, Yakuza 0 isn’t really a cheery holiday game.

Just checking in to see how I did over the course of the holidays…

I played through the prelude missions for Legacy of the Void. So, that’s at least underway! I didn’t play either Samorost 3 or Quadrilateral Cowboy. It’s like when you leave the good bottle of wine on the shelf for when you really want to enjoy it.

These are the games I actually played through during the holidays: Rusty Lake Hotel, OneShot, What Remains of Edith Finch, Scanner Sombre, Sword Coast Legends, the final episode of Minecraft - Story Mode: Season Two, and replayed Tales from the Borderlands for the third time in its entirety.

I bought this recently but haven’t played yet, how was it? Like in comparison to the first season.

Hah, I actually ended up only playing one of these. Much of my time was spent with Orbital Racer, Redout, Sword Coast Legends, Origin Space and Supreme Ruler Ultimate. Damn Steam sale and short attention span. ;)

I think it is about on par with the previous season. Maybe has a bit of a slow start in the first episode - but the middle episodes I recall being pretty solid. There’s a new character that kind of irritates me a little too much (Radar) in this season that in retrospect I should have just been mean toward at every opportunity, haha. There are some fun locations and stuff, but I still think the adventure pass missions for the first season are the best from this series.

Yeah I liked those the best too. Kind of surprised how well those turned out based on how the season started.

I think all the balancing of friends’ needs, trying to please everyone, and all that stuff can be a bit of a drag (it’s why I kind of hate Telltale’s Guardians of the Galaxy game), so I end up liking the episodes best that lean more on just having dumb adventures with some goofballs. The adventure pass was all dumb adventures, which was great. In season two, Petra is your main second-banana, and she was a little needy in the first season - if I recall correctly - and she hasn’t changed a bit.

How did you find Supreme Ruler Ultimate? Is it worth getting?

For my part I played:

AC Origins, vanilla XCOM 2 (not WOC as I had planned), Deus Ex MD and… tons and tons of Subnautica - a game I hadn’t planned on playing at all ;)

The little of AC Origins I played I enjoyed more than I had any right to given that it is a bit of a shell. But my goodness isn’t it purty! I think we can safely deploy the “visually stunning” trope here.

Finding it hard to get into Deus Ex MD, which is a surprise. I consider myself a Deus Ex loyalist and really enjoyed the previous outing. I will, however, persevere.

If anything this underlines the folly of my game collecting obsession - I hardly touched any of the games I had planned to and sunk many hours into one I picked up on a whim. ;) The good news is that when I head back to the Stygian dark of midwinter Europe I still have the Dishonored Death of the outsider expansion to look forward to. I think I need to start a new thread - “Now that this festive season is over, how will you assuage your post holiday blues?” ;)

I’ve only done the WWI tutorial so far but it’s a lot of fun. Very odd UI, but a ton of layers to play with.

I got a pretty solid chunk of playing done.

• Played through Pyre.
  • Played through Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.
  • Three games of Invisible, Inc at Expert difficulty. Lost the first two by the smallest possible margin in the final mission after some sloppy mistakes, just managed to win the last one at alert level 6 despite what must have been the most unfair level design I’ve ever seen. I still don’t understand how that game almost always manages to produce such drama in the final mission.
  • ~10 hours of Star Traders: Frontiers. I don’t think it’s very good; kind of enjoyed chasing down the main story, but the actual gameplay is just not there at all.
  • A few games of PUBG. Would have played more, but for some reason it’s running like shit after 1.0. Didn’t feel like chasing down problem right now.
  • A game of FTL with my nephew. He was at the controls, I gave instructions what to do in combat. He mostly made the calls on navigation and purchases, except for intervening a couple of times when he wanted to do something disastrous. Most frequent instruction during combat: “nonono pause! pause!”.
  • What must have been about 20 games of Codenames with my parents and older sister. Not the kind of thing I’d normally play, but good fun in that social setting.

Ended up playing a lot of Diablo 3. Finally found a character that held my interest long enough to make it past Act I. These types of games end up being very time-consuming, which probably means that I am Doing It Wrong. I just like to poke around all the nooks and crannies of the maps.

Also played some Tomb Raider. More linear than I expected, and I’m not thrilled with the quicktime events. It was fun to traverse some of the areas though. I’ll get back to it eventually.

For the last few days I jumped back into Skyrim SE and progressed through some of the guild quests. Such an awesome game.

Lastly, did some racing and hot-lapping in Assetto Corsa. Probably need to adjust the force feedback on my wheel as the default settings are really strong; I found myself sweating a bit after an hour or so. But I also kinda want to leave the settings where they are. Taking the steep and bumpy banking at Monza flat out, white-knuckling the wheel for dear life while the Lamborghini engine screams through the speakers, is a real “hell yeah!” moment.