Whatever happened to Bob Mayer?

Last I heard a few years back, he was going to teach (civil society?) history? Still involved in the gaming community in any capacity? Wargaming?

Is he the guy from Computer Games Magazine? I thought he posted here regularly, although I can’t remember his nickname now.

Isn’t it “TheWombat”?

That’s it, thanks.

While we’re at it, whatever happened to Kitsune? He hasn’t made an appearance in the Dragon Quest thread yet. Even if he doesn’t read the board any more, I thought for sure that topic would cosmically draw him back in.

And thank you. Yep, CGM guy, reviews editor.

bring back wumpus!

I’m still here, I suppose :D

I teach at a local college (history, mostly, plus a course in our E-Gaming program (EGD 100, History of Electronic Games & Playability Testing). I don’t write much for game pubs any more, though I wouldn’t be adverse to doing so if I can find the time. I wasn’t the reviews editor at CGM, though, but rather I started as the Online/Multiplayer guy and eventually had other various functions before I left.

I still play a lot of games, MMOs particularly but also the usual war, strategy, RPG, and FPS suspects too.

When CGM had a reviews editor, it was Ben Sones. After Ben moved, Steve basically took over handing out reviews.

We all missed Bob after the round of layoffs that caught him. :( If anyone here has some freelance work for him, I can vouch that he’s worth it.

I didn’t know The Wombat was Bob! Hmph. The old CGM forums he moderated were the first place I really went and jawboned about gaming. Folks there turned me onto so many classic titles that just hanging out was an educational experience. Yeah, it was a sad, sad, day when he left. Not long after the old forums shut down.

Yeah, the old CGM online was great. Best commercial gaming site and forum ever, in my opinion. Miss it a lot. And Bob, too. Miss him a little. Maybe. I guess.

Bob has also been neglecting his WoW guild. Haven’t seen you on in a while!

Bob has also been neglecting his WoW guild. Haven’t seen you on in a while!

Yeah, that’s true. Only because WoW itself bores me at the moment though, not because of the Basin–which is as usual a bunch of great folks. Somehow though I can’t get motivated for WoW, whereas EQ II and City of Villains actually excite me for the moment.

I don’t see how you can even play more than one of these games at a time.

I don’t see how you can even play more than one of these games at a time.

I didn’t used to, but once I figured out that I have more fun getting to the level cap in various games than existing at the level cap in one, it got easier. :D

Seriously, you can’t play more than one if you’re really super serious about it. If you’re into WoW raiding all the time, and gearing up for raids, and hitting the BGs for PvP gear, yeah, you’re going to find it tough to diversify. But all of those activities in WoW bore me, so I’m having more fun leveling (slowly) a few characters in EQII and CoV. I will probably return to WoW at some point, but I played it for more than a year intensively, from beta through this fall, so I’m kind of burned out I think.

I’ll never forget seeing Bob riding around on Steve Bauman’s shoulders at E3, yelling “Embargo! Embargo!”

Well, I saw it in my head. Sorry the rest of you missed it.

Bob, if I started my own fansite about you, would you write for me?

???

Bob! (Well, thanks for Morrowind anyway.) :)

Did you do anything, testing or whatever, post-era with HPS?

Did you do anything, testing or whatever, post-era with HPS?

Yeah, I wrote the backstory document for Korea '85, did some research and scenario work for Sicily '43 and NGP '85, and have been sorta “in the loop” on a few more projects occasionally.