Whatever happened to...PC Golf Games?

Anyone else playing The Golf Club? I am looking for more friends to try to beat ;). I am ahollib on steam (Kelan) and in the QT3 and pinball groups I believe which may make it easier to find me.

I fired it up yesterday for the first time in a couple months and had a bit of trouble getting through a full round. The game would crash about 2 times per round, but at least it would remember where I was and allow me to continue. Later in the evening it seems they pushed a hot patch out and after that downloaded, I was able to play a full round without a problem.

I finally got a hang of the swing system with the keyboard and mouse and can hit decent drives now. I went from +8, +10 my first couple rounds to -8 my last one. Initially I felt it was way too hard, but now it feels like it could be a little too easy at times. My good round was on a very easy short course with really flat greens, though, while the tougher course had some very undulating greens that will continue to be tricky. I liked that the putting could be quite challenging on the tougher greens.

I would still sum up the game as having a lot of potential and has some really great moments, but could definitely use some work in some areas. I am going to try more of the special swing setups tonight and see if I can get the ball to do more special flight paths and spin control and see how it goes. I will also check out what the tour and tournament modes are and see how those work out. The tour appears to have you string together rounds at different courses and compare your results against other players with leaderboards that update as you play and the normal ghost players that play along side you as you play.

I was never a big course designer guy even when I had various Jack Nicklaus games back in the 90s, but I may give this one a try later on and see how well it works. So far, it seems the courses that ship with the game could use some some work at making them a bit harder and I may take a stab at building one of my own if they all end up being a little too easy to add some challenge.

I agree that it is disappointing. It is not a horrible game by any means but it should not have been released as finished at this juncture. It is still poorly optimized for the PC, online cheating is rampant, the physics and wind still behave oddly and the overall golf experience is somewhat lifeless. Golf should be relaxing but with no weather effects, no even optional crowds, no challenges, no progression, no career mode, dull commentary, lifeless or unrealistic backdrops and few environmental sounds, the experience is not what it should be. One can always hope for Perfect Parallel.

I agree. I don’t know if I’d recommend it to anyone that wants a full Tiger Woods/Links experience. It’s golf, yes, but there’s not much meat to it right now. The way you play Pinball FX or Trials, by chasing high scores, seems like an apt comparison. It all feels very disconnected, whereas I always felt Links was good at making me feel like I was playing golf and not a score attack challenge.

[/QUOTE]It appears there is another PC Golf game being released on Steam early access later today called Perfect Golf, which is being done by Perfect Parallel and uses their CourseForge design tool which is used by Nicklaus Design to help visualize and build their real courses.

Perfect Golf on Steam

Here is how they explain the game features:

[QUOTE]PerfectGolf is a next generation, indie developed, single player, multiplayer golf game. Built with the Unity Engine, Perfect Golf provides a truly immersive experience centered on stunning visuals and hyper-realistic game play. The game will have practice, single player, and multiplayer game modes where you will be able to use our ‘in-game’ lobby and matchmaking system to go head to head.

With over 24 months of custom code development to create unique shaders and gameplay enhancing graphics, PerfectGolf takes computer golfing to a new level. Our graphics have already been used by tournament sponsors, TV Broadcast and golf ball tracking companies and our powerful course design tool (CourseForge) is used by the world’s top real golf design company, Nicklaus Design, to help visualize and build their real courses. CourseForge will be released to the community so you will be able to make your own courses for use in PerfectGolf

What makes PerfectGolf different?

*The Creative Director of the game is a PGA golf professional,
*Geo-referenced courses giving real world sun angles, sun rise and set times,which will also open up the ability to merge real world golf with computer golf. No longer play as your favorite pro, play against them!
*Real world weather integration with live data from worldwide weather stations,
*Real time ‘emergent’ physics engine - all forces such as wind and spin act on the ball in real time, we don’t know where the ball is going to end up any more than you do when it’s hit, it’s not scripted behaviour just …physics!
*First person mode allows you to drop into a free camera or walking mode and survey the beautiful environments at your leisure

PerfectGolf has been designed from the outset to be a community driven game with regular content and feature releases based on player feedback.

It sounds like it will also have a 3 click swing system as an option which I am interested in. I understand the draw of the mouse and controller options, but I can never tell what I am doing wrong with them and would rather have this mouse click system as an option even though I still prefer the 2 click swing.

The Golf Club was a decent offering, but there are a few features it had missing that I really would like and the matchmaking and swing system in this one may be more up my alley. What they are doing with the weather also sounds pretty neat. As long as the price isn’t really high, I will most likely be picking this up later and trying it out tonight.

I’m interested, but the fact that they’re using Unity raises a red flag for me. I play a lot of early access games, which means I see a lot of Unity. I know Unity can produce really polished stuff like Hearthstone, but more often than not it seems to me that indie devs are too apt to leave things at default and the jank becomes overwhelming.

For example, it’s not often that you see devs uploading screenshots to Steam that show the Window borders.

ACK! Telefrog! Stop hating on Unity! It’s just a toolset that is widely available and thus involved in a lot of failed/crappy projects. Do you hate on hammers because of all of the crappy stuff weekend warriors have built??

I know there’s a lot of punctuation up there but please take this with only the best of intentions.

No, I get what you’re saying. I don’t hate on Unity. I just feel it’s kind of in that same space as Unreal was right in the early days of its marketing as an engine. Unreal made a lot of great games possible, but it also made a lot of terrible games possible as well. A lot of really awful stuff that would’ve never seen the retail shelf was able to get there thanks to Unreal. And I see a lot of that happening with Unity now.

By itself, it’s not a bad system, but if you’re not willing or able to put the work into refining it, Unity can be pretty janky. (Take the graphics option screen, for example. A lot of devs don’t bother changing that, so you get the same Unity barebones default graphics option screen in a lot of games.) This is compounded by the tendency for Unity game devs to use the stock assets and stuff from the store which is of varying degrees of quality. Not to mention that assets from different authors rarely match in style.

Unfortunately, I play enough indie EA games that I see this a lot. I mean, way too much. To the point that I cast a skeptical eye towards the combination indie+Unity.

I remember selling the very posh looking Links 386 boxes to lots of dads when I worked in a computer games shop. The PC generated some awesome manuals and boxes in those days, as well as a literal pile of disks.

Has this been mentioned yet? Its a Chrome app.

World Golf Tour

Please do not link that abomination here. To play you will either fork over tons of money to buy rounds or you will waste your time filling out surveys that always fail to give credits at the end. It is the epitome of a bad pay-to-play game made worse by their scummy false promises at free credits.

So early access games are often unfinished and make heavy use of stock assets? Stunning.

Sure. That’s a takeaway. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen many of those Unity indie games come out of EA and change their assets to in-house ones or polish up the Unity default stuff. They just go with it.

EA Sports just announced Rory McIlroy PGA Tour for PS4 and XBO. Now, no PC was mentioned there, but I would like to think it would make its way there eventually (maybe even day n’ date with the console versions), but you never know.

Never heard of him, but… ha ha, Tiger Woods! :)

I wouldn’t bet on this making its way to PC.

I know it’s been about a year and a half since EA announced they were dropping Tiger Woods and this announcement makes sense, since McIlroy’s been the No. 1 player in the world for a while now, but it seems like “Tiger Woods” has been EA’s golf game forever. “Rory McIlroy” just doesn’t roll off the tongue quite so easily.

The Masters at Augusta may not be in EA Sports’ Rory McIlroyPGA Tour. They are looking to add it later as DLC, if they get the licensing issues sorted out.

Isn’t this like not having the Superbowl in a football game?

People are doing unusual things with The Golf Club’s course creator.

A better analogy would be not having Nurburgring/Laguna Seca/Daytona in a racing game. Except worse, because afaik there haven’t been racing games co-branded with those tracks. I can’t imagine how they don’t secure that license well in advance unless the golf games don’t do good numbers.

Edit: That video is fantastic, Mr Bismarck.

Oh, I thought you said “the USUAL” things with the Golf Club’s course creator, so I was ready for a pic of a penis-shaped golf hole.

Dangerous Golf announced. It’s from Three Fields Entertainment, made up of ex-Criterion Games founders Fiona Sperry and Alex Ward.

It’s golf, but with an explosive ball and played in places like a china shop, a gas station, and a kitchen. Burnout crashes with ball ricochet physics.