Whatever happened to...PC Golf Games?

Over the years I have played many PC golf games and there are always guys who even on the toughest courses will shoot in the 50’s. Short of extreme wind or just a very tricked up course there are no US Open scores in video golf.

I’m downloading Perfect Golf as we speak, will leave some impressions later.

Wow…short version. This is Links 386 with better physics. I love this game already. Only played 1 round, going out right now, will play more later. Some bullet points:

1. Everything behaves pretty much like you think it should.
  2. The 3 click system is great, it feels good, the tempo of it is nice.
  3. Physics are great as far as I can tell. Rolls on green, ball flight, etc, all seem very realistic to me.
  4. It feels a lot like Links 386, which I put thousands of hours into.
  5. Lots of customization (for what’s there). It seems like it’s going to let you play however you want. You could certainly make the game very challenging.

For me, even if they didn’t add anything else to the game, it’s worth the 20 bucks I spent on it, just to be able to play solo rounds. It definitely scratches the golf itch for me. At one point in my life, I was a scratch golfer in real life, and I played every day for years. Due to a back injury at one point, that all ended. This is the closest thing feel wise I’ve played to real golf. The course management is very much in line with actual golf.

Looks really promising. If they can flesh this out with game modes and polish, it’s going to by far the best PC golf game available.

I think hardcore is viable after one play through, once you learn where to go and how the game works, but I still don’t see the point. I find Elite difficulty and building up your character to be more fun, so hardcore seems kind of pointless to me. Someone much earlier in this thread was playing hardcore, but I think they gave up.

With difficult spikes, just learn to test the water. New area on your first play though? Don’t go rushing in. Don’t rush into any room ever really, especially if you see a star or are what looks to be the end of the dungeon (boss). Always give yourself a run back spot, etc. I die when I get cocky and forget those rules.

The Golf Club 2 has been announced and scheduled for a 1st quarter 2017 release.

I never thought I would adjust to the mouse swing of The Golf Club, but I am really enjoying the game and the golf tour at tgctours.com and there are likely plans to migrate the tour to the new game once it is released, or at some point soon after.

It appears the new version will add some features to flesh out the personality of the game including highly customizable golfers, golf societies (with custom golf club houses), a career mode, and updated game play including varying distances and risk/reward off the tee including tempo and variable tees for each round. They will also add a practice range and a much needed practice swing during a round. It also sounded like there were some issues and bugs that they couldn’t quite nail down or fix without an engine update and it sounds like going to Unity 5 may help them in quite a few areas for this sequel.

I will be watching this one closely and almost surely be a day one purchase for me. I am glad to see the first game was successful enough for them to create a sequel and including the two main consoles as a part of their initial release has likely helped on this quite a bit.

Perfect Golf has one very glaring mechanics flaw, that tanks the entire game for me. The only way to put backspin on a ball, is to shoot in what usually is the overswing area of the 3 click system. The obvious problem with this is, you can’t put backspin on anything but a full power shot. When you’re faced with a 110 yard shot, and your club choices are 93 or 120 yards, you’re out of luck.

It’s an absolutely idiotic design choice, in what is otherwise a pretty decent feeling golf game.

Been playing some Golf Club lately, and once again, an overall great game ruined by a couple of problems. The biggest being, “edging”…which is people placing a ruler next to their mouse, so that they can get a perfect/straight swing every time. It absolutely nullifies any competition in the game, as you have people shooting 33 under par for 18 holes…it’s ridiculous. Even sadder, is there is literally nothing the devs can do about it. GC could have been a really fantastic, online tour simulation, as the feel of it when not cheating, is really really good, and does feel the most like actual golf of any game I’ve played. Such a shame.

How recently have you played? They revamped the spin physics fairly recently and I don’t have any trouble putting spin on the ball. Then again I’m using the horizontal mouse swing, not the 3 clink swing. The mouse swing feels much more like a real swing to me. Ironically enough, somebody on their forums has been bitching up a storm about the game having too much spin.

I still have Perfect Golf and haven’t given it a play in quite a while. I will plan to give it a shot and see how it compares.

Yeah, I have heard of people using a ruler to get perfect swings, but even with that it can be challenging on the tougher courses and tgctours.com supposedly can check with their API whether someone is doing that and disqualify them. Either way, I am having a blast with it :).

I would definitely play a modern SimGolf.

Now THAT is a game in need of a remake. (Assuming you mean Sid Meier’s SimGolf.)

Indeed, I did mean that. I loved that little game. In fact, we need more games where we build things for little computer people. Rollercoaster Tycoon scratched the same itch. Not so much with Cities:Skylines b/c your people don’t directly interact with your creations in the same way.

I did a little testing of the backspin in Perfect Golf last night using the different swings. Sure enough, the motion swings put plenty of spin on the ball but, for some reason, the 3 click swing does not. Weird. Hopefully they address that at some point. The game still seems a bit buggy to me overall as well. I think it came out of EA before it was ready.

The Golf Club 2 launches Tuesday.

The new societies feature might be fun if QT3 has enough players.

Anyone planning on getting this? I pre-ordered the PS4 version to play with a remote family member, but it was the first time I turned on my PS4 in almost 2 years as I usually only play games on the PC.

Yeah I have pre ordered on PC. Really looking forward to it. I have been playing TW2014 on the 360 to get my fix of golf.

I played plenty of TGC 1 but missed the career play side of it which was really basic TGC 2 looks like a massive improvement.

I also plan to make my local 9 hole course my son is a member of in my first foray in to course creation.

I plan to pick it up and start playing at the TGCTour again. I did make it to the PGA Tour earlier this year, but stopped playing at some point due to the time commitment.

It sounds like the TGCTour will be down a few weeks, then start up again with the new version of The Golf Club 2 and maintain the previous world rankings and tour assignments. I am a bit more busy than I would like to be right now, but I do want to try this as soon as I can.

I am hoping for a bit more than everyone shooting 30 under as well. I see there are different types of clubs which affect control and distance so easier to hit clubs lose some and lack the control but there is more risk if you get it wrong on the harder clubs. Hopefully this will make a good spread of scores.

Tempted to pick up The Golf Club VR on Windows. It has great reviews.

But with TGC2 coming out, kind of annoying to buy the last game. No mention of VR I can find for TGC2, though.

Not on PC but…

So I have been playing The Golf Club 2 a lot since I bought it this week. I was spotty with my shots, hitting some good ones for a while, then slicing and hooking them. From the feedback graph it looked like I wasn’t always pulling / pushing the right analog stick on the controller straight. It felt like I was, but according to the graph I wasn’t. The fact that I moved up to the middle difficulty clubs made me pay for my mis-hits even more.

After a quick search I found a pointer that helped me start being more consistent moving that stick straight back and forth. I set the controller on my desk and hold the stick in the 12 & 6 o’clock positions. The tempo should be to pull it back smoothly and when you get to the top of the swing quickly push it forward. I practiced this technique a bit and then played Pebble Beach and scored a 73, which is good for me (Pebble Beach is a relatively easy course I think). I’ll have to try this technique on one of the more difficult courses I played.

The game is still on sale for $17 for a couple more days. I recommend it.

I’ll second Rob’s recommendation.

The Golf Club 2 is a fantastic sim. It isn’t Tiger Woods or EA or whatever. It takes a little (but just a little) more finesse.

But for $17? This game is a steal. On sale for a few more days.

I just had a heck of a back and forth battle against @triggercut 's ghost at Little Brook Manor in The Golf Club 2. I jumped out to a 2 stroke lead, but triggercut evened it up over several holes. I think I jumped ahead by 1 again, then he went ahead by 1. I evened it up with 3 holes to go and managed to pull ahead by 1 and held the lead. Playing against the ghost of someone I knew was much more exciting than random ghost person.

I go through funks where I lose my ability to hit a straight shot and it is difficult for me to get back in the groove. I have switched to holding the stick on the sides at 3 and 9 o’clock and sort of turning my body perpendicular to a can pull my arm back and pivot it forward at the shoulder - trying to keep my arm in the same position.

I tried to move up to the toughest clubs and floundered pretty badly. I dropped back down to the middle set of clubs.