What's happening in space (that's interesting)

You’d think they have like… another boat within visual range recording, so that theory seems likely.

According to this guy on Twitter, and the audio he posted, they lost the center core. Still unconfirmed by anyone official.

There’s video as the car heads up from Earth towards it’s current 7000 km apogee.

Edit: Oh, they added a live cam:

All those Russian oligarchs are now sitting in their crappy megayachts realising they could have spent $100m immortalising themselves in history by sending their car to Mars

You have to wonder about the kinds of people that would seriously give this a thumbs down.

Was amazing.

Probably flat-Earthers.

Well there is. The drone ship is towed back to port. I’m assuming the “tug” goes many miles away for safety reasons till the booster lands. So could take awhile for information.

I saw an unofficial tweet claiming the center booster missed the drone ship.

I mean… I assume they have binoculars and a radio. And probably a bunch of cameras.

Now the exact details of what happened will probably take a while. Or maybe they’re insanely cautious and everyone is over the horizon from the platform, but even then I would think various drones would be used, even if it was just a beer cooler with a camera taped to the top pointed at the target.

@Klaatu posted this in the gif thread, but it deserves to be here as well:

Didn’t hear all correctly during press conference but musk said the center was lost. Didn’t have enough fuel to restart the engines. Believe I heard it hit going fast(like 300 mph). If the drone ship camera survived might get video.

So the mission was virtually a complete success and there might be a totally awesome explosion to watch? This is the best of both worlds.

the middle core of SpaceX’s huge rocket missed the drone ship where it was supposed to land, a source tells The Verge. SpaceX later confirmed The Verge’s reporting in a press conference.

The center core was only able to relight one of the three engines necessary to land, and so it hit the water at 300 miles per hour. Two engines on the drone ship were taken out when it crashed, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said in a press call after the rocket launch.

While that’s very disappointing, 2 outta 3 on a first try like this is kind of amazing. Glad that they do all this testing unmanned nowadays, though >.>

A lot of trumpers hate Elon Musk because they feel threatened by electric cars, and also the fact he wants to do something about global warming. I wish I were kidding.

Hater’s gotta hate…

3rd burn to send it out from Earth was successful. Exceeded even Mars orbit distance. Car and “Starman” will make it all the way out to the Astroid belt before circling back.

Was that intentional? I got the sense they went farther than they intended to.

It’s like when you’re playing KSP and you end up with an extra 1000m/s delta v that you didn’t plan on, so you’re all, whatevs, let’s keep going.

Such a great launch. I wanted to watch it with the oldest kid, but when it got postponed, I had to calm the little dude down and put him to bed. The promise of getting to watch it before school got him to do the morning routine very snappy indeed!

This rocket represents such a great bit of progress. It’s (largely) reusable. It burns very clean kerosene and liquid oxygen, so it burns pretty clean. Its not only far more powerful but also much cheaper than the things the traditional industry puts out. Cheap launches of large payloads… that means things like exploration of the moons of saturn become far more feasible. Extra-atmospheric astronomy. Perhaps even asteroid mining! So happy with this!