What's happening in space (that's interesting)

I lol’d.

What a pisser. I was really looking forward to that thing being launched this November and now it’s delayed until 2020 if nothing else crops up. Oh man… and I was getting short. Eight more months and out. Now I’m going to bite it on this rock. It ain’t fair, man.

Live space walk.

Midnight here, and I have to leave, but that was absolutely fascinating. Thank you so much for posting this: I experienced one of those moments of internet wonderment you don’t experience often after your first week discovering the www.

Yeah same here, I watched for about an hour before bed and marveled at the times we live in.

That stated excuse for the launch delay was due to a tear in the material of the sun shield during payload packaging. Who knew that handing over your satellite to KSC was essentially the same as United baggage handlers.

That said, I’ve a friend who is literally in charge of construction of that sun shield said the fix took 4 hours; and that was just an excuse to delay the launch for other reasons.

https://www.space.com/40171-cosmic-alignment-reveals-most-distant-star-yet.html

It’s about time we cleaned up some of that orbital debris.

Every time I read something about cleaning up space junk I always think of…

Blast from the past. I remember enjoying it. As much as I remember anything from the 70s.

Planetes (anime) is a great show about space debris cleanup people.

Agreed, Planetes is awesome. I own the discs!

Just $10m for a stay in a space hotel

I mean if I was a billionaire? Hell yes I’d do it.

Probably even if I was only star athlete rich.

I recall us having a discussion about what they might make a Venus probe out of.

Interesting idea there.

…so we’re crashing the Protomolecule into Venus. Good idea!

Bro, how about a courtesy flush for Uranus.

PetaPixel: This is the Surface of a Comet

Back in 2014, the Rosetta spacecraft captured the world’s imagination by arriving at a comet and snapping the first-ever photos of a comet’s surface. Now here’s something that’s even better: a series of photos turned into a motion picture of what it’s like on the comet at ground level.

The 1-second video was made by Twitter user @landru79 using 12.5-second-exposure photos captured on June 1st, 2016, by Rosetta and shared with the world by the Max Planck Institute for Solar System.

Image-stabilized version:

I can’t get over how frickin’ cool that comet picture/video is.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/25/605622779/you-are-here-scientists-unveil-precise-map-of-more-than-a-billion-stars

Very exciting day for astronomers yesterday.

WOW. That is sooooooo cool!

Question about that. Is that snow falling? Or just image artifacts?