What's happening in space (that's interesting)

It’s explained some here:

Explanation: You couldn’t really be caught in this blizzard while standing by a cliff on Churyumov-Gerasimenko, also known as comet 67P. Orbiting the comet in June of 2016 the Rosetta spacecraft’s narrow angle camera did record streaks of dust and ice particles though, as they drifted across the field of view near the camera and above the comet’s surface. Still, some of the bright specks in the scene are likely due to a rain of energetic charged particles or cosmic rays hitting the camera, and the dense background of stars in the direction of the constellation Canis Major. Click on this single frame to play and the background stars are easy to spot as they trail from top to bottom in an animated gif (7.7MB). The 33 frames of the time compressed animation span about 25 minutes of real time. The stunning gif was constructed from consecutive images taken while Rosetta cruised some 13 kilometers from the comet’s nucleus.

Looks like a dirty snowball!

1.7 billion stars mapped! 1,700,000,000 and that’s only ~1% of the galaxy…

It’s a great time to be alive.

That is truly amazing.

That comet gif is slightly terrifying to me for some reason.

Stumbled across this neat vid about the black hole swarms in the center of the galaxy.

It’s like a shot from Alien, except it’s real.

I enjoyed this starwarming story.

“Don’t you quit on me, you hear me? Not on my watch!”

How do we know that wasn’t Thor?

Are neutron stars made up of material that can be found on the periodic table? Or are they too dense for atoms to form?

Mostly the latter. There’s a (very thin) shell of ordinary matter left, but not much.

A reasonable summary is:

Bottom line is that neutron stars are both awesome and seriously weird.

And this gives you an idea of how Superman’s powers fluctuate. At one point in the past he flew into a neutron star and brought out two handfuls of star matter. That’s a long way from leaping tall buildings.

Aw, man. On one level, this is ridiculous. But at the same time, it’s Apollo 11, dammit!

I’m… I’m… oh god, it’s so tempting!

$70 for a speck of foil… FROM SPACE

I dunno, fellas

Not just space, but Apollo 11: first men on the Moon!

Am I doing this reet

LOL - hey, foil from the New Mexico or Mojave desert is rare stuff!

The command module did not actually land on the moon. Meh.

It got closer than I ever will. Unless I turn out to be Harry Harriman, but I doubt it.

Speaking of things that are more expensive than they should be yet tempting nonetheless, Chris Hadfield has a set of videos about space exploration in ‘MasterClass’ that look interesting: