What's happening in space (that's interesting)

Please let me evolve into a higher lifeform.

This has to be one of the great images in space exploration.

WHAAA?

Remember when we were all, “Did Mars ever have water?” and then it went to “When did Mars lose all its surface water?” and now…

Liquid water. We’ve known it has ice for centuries. It has ice caps, so pretty hard to miss.

I sort of think climate change is as if all the nuclear weapons are on a countdown timer to launch, and it’s going to take a concerted effort to shut them all off in time. In other words nuclear war is definitely worrisome, but at least we’re in a non-terminal stalemate. That makes climate change a bigger issue demanding action.

There’s no future on Mars for us, it is uninhabitable. But if Big Brother the TV series can fund a colony, I’m all for it.

Why is Mars red? Because of rust. So there’s no escaping rust by going to Mars.

I really disagree, especially on the day after our chances of nuclear war just increased exponentially. The end of the Trump Putin bromance, followed by one of the numerous false alarms, simulations that were confused with the real thing, or some trigger-happy American or Russia pilot, or naval officer and its game over. There is no Jim Mattis to talk Trump down

I think there is a decent chance of technology solutions to climate change such as those proposed[Nathan Myhrvold](http:// Nathan Myhrvold), (I was a number of meeting with Nathan back in the day, and the guy is a genius). Since we’ll be doing pretty much the opposite of this on Mars, it would be really helpful to conduct the experiments on Mars first. But more likely we will muddle through by adapting like we always do.

I would support a “Keeping up with the Kardashians on Mars” show too.

Really nice video from Richard Branson

It’s amazing and sad to me that there are people who will watch that and be 100% convinced that it’s fake. Why they would make this, they don’t care, they just know the earth is flat and are impervious to the proof they are wrong.

The strangest thing is that people think that a secret that big could be kept by the thousands of people involved in it.

At this point the number of people who have been involved in something related to space would be in the millions. And yet every single one is keeping the secret, apparently.

I didn’t even know this was happening now. I thought it was still a couple of years off. This is pretty exciting!

Pluto flyby happened in 2015, man. Yeah, I know. Seems like yesterday to me, too

I wonder what flat-earthers say when you ask them why the stars visible from the southern hemisphere are different from the ones in the north? Is the sky in on the conspiracy too?

I honestly think the flat earthers are of two groups. One of them it’s just a game since no one can be that dumb. The other group are the grifters. They’re using the flat earth baloney to make money off the turds who watch and want to buy into the idiocy.

Same as Qanon. The people leading that movement are doing it to make money. It’s a cult by any metric, but now they’re selling apps and merchandise.

This is cool, and as the video plays on and absorb the movement, it suddenly dawns on me the movement is reminiscent of something else but on an entirely difference scale: the movement of bits in the cytoplasm in cells.

I don’t think there are a lot of Flat Earthers who actually believe the Earth is flat. It’s more about them and other groups like them making noise about being mistreated, lied to, ignored, etc. by “mainstream” society. The signal-to-noise ratio doesn’t really matter. (There is no signal, or rather the noise is the signal.) Just know that they are angry. And know that one of their kindred became POTUS.

And these are just dumb people who think they’re smart (SciManDan has fun with them).

Lack of education is probably an issue. So is mental illness. But I’m not sure if they are innately less bright than other people of the same age.

[edit]

Well, education is as much about training the mind as it is about accumulating facts. So never mind, maybe.