What's happening in space (that's interesting)

Amateur captures glittering all-sky view of the cosmos with a 5000-megapixel image

Space is so fucking awesome.

It’s pretty neat seeing how many galaxies he captured. The detail available when zooming in is incredible.

COMET OR SPACE MISSILE ATTACK?

NASA’s solar observatory captured a stunning video of a comet streaking towards the sun between Tuesday and Wednesday – and the aftermath when it collided with the tremendous ball of plasma.

The video, captured by NASA’s Solar & Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO), appears to show a fireball jet out following the collision. That’s not quite what happened, NASA explained. Instead, a coronal mass ejection coincidentally blasted out to the right just as the comet approaches and is vaporized by the sun.

Via Fox News, which I guess explains the contradictory paragraphs. Scientists say they was no connection between the impact and the plasma jet, but what do they know?

‘Lonely planets’ may outnumber star-hosted worlds

A Brown Dwarf the size of Jupiter might slam into the Earth on Sept 27th. Plan accordingly.

Or maybe a much smaller comet will actually just fly within 22 million miles of us and be on its merry way.

I guess we’ll find out!

Not really in space since it’s on Mars, but check out the animation:

We gots something flowin’ heah!

H.

Build Your Own Solar System.

Gravity is a bitch, y’all.

Don’t panic, just a giant asteroid passing closer to us than the moon on Tuesday.

Earth’s close encounter with Asteroid 2005 YU 55 will occur at 6:28 p.m. EST (2328 GMT) on Tuesday, as the space rock sails about 201,000 miles (323,469 km) from the planet.

The orbit and position of the asteroid, which is about 1,312 feet (400 meters) in diameter, is well known, added senior research scientist Don Yeomans, with NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

“There is no chance that this object will collide with the Earth or moon,” Yeomans said.

He then chuckled nervously and Bruce Willis was spotted standing in the background.

Yesterday the Russians launched a Mars/Phobos probe but it stalled in orbit. Now they say it might crash back down in a giant mess.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2016721229_apeurussiamarsmoonmission.html

Was hoping they’d get this fixed. The plantary Society has a crew of Tardigrades on board and when it returned we were supposed to see if any would come back to life. Maybe Russia should just give up on Mars. Their track record with that planet is terrrible.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/preferred+direction

An artist’s rendering of the event:

Are the fundamental constants of physics really constant?

Europa has liquid water:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature10608.html

If there is another planet in our solar system with anything more the microbial life, then Europa is it.

Maybe let’s lower the bar a bit and keep looking for the first planet or moon to even have microbial life… but liquid water on Europa is still pretty awesome.

I don’t know why we’re dragging our feet on this, I’d lay an even bet that we’ll discover life or evidence of past life on Mars within a decade.

New company wants to mine asteroids, and in the not so distant future. Cool, but the article doesn’t mention how the miners will schlep to their job sites.

I just learned about a wonderful new measurement of time.

Planck time - the smallest measurement of time possible. To put it into perspective, there are more Planck units in a single second than all the seconds between the big bang and now combined!

This past Sunday a meteor streaked overhead and exploded over Northern California around 7:45 AM. I didn’t hear anything unfortunately but it was all over the news. Fragments have been found in up in the foothills weighing about 10 grams each.