What's happening in space (that's interesting)

Agile, man.

Iā€™m starting to think that Elon is Mr. Torgue in disguise.

Damn I forget to check this thread and 2 weeks of good posts.

This was depressing bit of trivia to learn today. Although, I do remember a time when Lou Dobbs wasnā€™t a complete dofuss.

UAE Mars orbiter, ā€œHope,ā€ is completing Mars Orbit Insertion in just over half an hour. Live broadcast here: https://www.emiratesmarsmission.ae/live

Yeah, Saturnā€™s B-ring has 2-mile high ice peaks!

The funny thing is 2 miles is absolutely tiny in the context of Saturn. Itā€™s kind of astonishing how thin the rings are, yet theyā€™re visible with not much assistance from Earth.

Also, Cassini was fā€™ing amazing.

The UAE orbiter ā€œHopeā€ was successful in reaching Mars orbit!

And so was Chinaā€™s mission, Tianwen-1, which joined Mars this morning.

Next upā€¦ NASA/JPLā€™s mission, next week.

Want to join your QT3 friends in watching the entry, descent, and landing for the NASA/JPL Perseverance rover on Mars? Check out this thread: https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/nasa-jpl-qt3-perseverance-landing-watch-party-zoom/

More company coming on Mars.

Is there a party I donā€™t know about on Mars?

You didnā€™t get your invitā€¦ oops. Nevermind.

Not until Feb 18. Can you get to Olympus Mons in time? Do you need a ride?

Because of how Mars and Earth align, the best Earth-to-Mars launch window comes around once in two years per the Hohmann Transfer orbit. Thatā€™s why everyone launched around the same time and now everyoneā€™s arriving around the same time.

What if two satellites bump into each other en route?

Iā€™m sure I read about Hofman Transfer orbits scores of times, in the many books Iā€™ve read about space travel over the decades. But I never, actually understood how it worked until I played Kerbal Space Program.

Iā€™m curious how many people play KSP where you work @fire?

Probably lotsā€¦ but I donā€™t know how many of those are any good!

Luckily thereā€™s a lot of space in space.

I always wondered if the terrific xkcd cartoon, was true. Glad to hear it is. KSP 2.0 canā€™t come soon enough.

Thatā€™s what happens when you try to go to the closest planets. There are more launch opportunities for just about anything else.