What's on the horizon for the 360 in 2006?

I’m planning to get a 360 next Christmas (or a bit before). There just aren’t enough good games out yet and I have a monster backlog as it is, plus by then the price’ll be dropped.

But that doesn’t mean I don’t WANT one already :-) So I’m wondering what is on the horizon. Here’s what I know of that’s expected in 2006 and that sounds exciting to me:

• Oblivion (duh)
  • Gears of War
  • Blazing Angels
  • Mass Effect I
  • Ninety-Nine Nights
  • The Outfit (not as sure about this one)

… and you know, that’s pretty much it! I’m not sure what else is on the horizon that’s exciting.

Probably it’s a bit premature to create this thread, I should wait until E3, but that just means it’s a prime threadcromantic prospect. So, let’s start this off now and then we’ll dig it up after the GDC, E3, etc. What else would you put on the above list?

Cheers!
Rob

Table Tennis :-)

I’m not sure if all of these are actually slated for 2006, but it seems a fair bet for most of them.

Dead Rising
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Alan Wake
Star Trek: Legacy (if it doesn’t suuuuuck)
Too Human
Huxley

Brothers in Arms 3 and Rainbow Six Vegas are in the new OXM and both look phenomonal.

Interestingly, the only Microsoft Game Studios games listed on this site are Too Human, Gears of War, and Dead Rising. I have to assume they’re working on lots of other stuff (or publishing lots of other stuff from third parties).

So while it’s not “known about” stuff, there’s speculation about Forza Motorsport 2, two new games from Rare (Killer Instinct?), Shadowrun, Crimson Skies 2, and of course Halo 3. Granted, those might not be this year, or some of them might be, we just don’t know.

Other notable releases (which may or may not float your boat. only about half really excite me):
Far Cry Instinct Predator
Rumble Roses XX
Top Spin 2
Tomb Raider: Legend (multiplatform, but the 360 version will probably be best)
MotoGP 2006
Chrome Hounds
Prey (I’ll get the PC version, if any)
The Godfather
Blue Dragon

I’m confused, Dead Rising is a Capcom title isn’t it?

Dead Rising is Capcom.

Gah, you’re right. I don’t know why I had a brain fart and thought it was one of MGS Japan’s titles. DUR.

Okay so only two MGS games this year (I think Mass Effect has already been publicized as a 2007 title). Seems kinda slim to me. I bet they’ll have at least 5.

I’m not counting Ninety Nine Nights because it hasn’t even been confirmed for the North American Market yet. Not just no release date - not confirmed to even be coming out over here.

Ninety Nine Nights isn’t getting very good press from the people in Japan who have played the demo.

Nice so far, folks, thanks. Too Human, Chromehounds (is that one word or two?), Alan Wake, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, and Gears of War are probably the top-flight titles so far. But yeah, it’ll be good to see at E3 what Microsoft has up its sleeve…

Meanwhile, I sure hope Microsoft checks out our collective wisdom on what games should go on Live Arcade. There is TRUE GOLD in them thar oldies. [SIZE=3]GOLD!!![/SIZE]

That sucks, I was psyched for it. Man, what a bummer if all the Japanese-authored Xbox games turn out limp and flaccid. Maybe there’s just such deep xenophobia in Japanese culture that we’ll never see a truly bodacious Japanese game for a non-native system…

I don’t think thats the reason. If that was the case, Sega and Nintendo’s systems the last generation or two would of gotten a fair more games. No, Sony has been good to Japanese developers as whole and so far nothing is changing it.

…so, no titles that interest me whatsoever…uh, maybe I should reconsider picking one up after all, and just but the money towards another PC upgrade.

The problem is the game is half designed in Japan and programmed by Phantagram. It might be better than the demo indicates (Full Auto worked that way) but I’m not holding my breath. This game is Mizuguchi’s in name alone it seems.

In addition to all the titles already mentioned (gathered together below*), I’d also add the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade titles, great time wasters each:

Paperboy
Streetfighter II: Hyper Fighting
Mortal Kombat
Defender
Root Beer Tapper
Cyberball

Coming Xbox 360 Games (in some semblance of order based on preference):

• Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • Halo 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Advance Warfighter
  • Bioware’s Mass Effect
  • Burnout Revenge
  • Undisclosed ID software game
  • Prey
  • Epic’s Gears of War
  • Far Cry Instincts: Predator
  • Saint’s Row
  • Ninja Gaiden 2
  • Alan Wake
  • Starcraft: Ghost
  • Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Double Agent
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6
  • Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
  • Scarface
  • Brothers in Arms 3
  • John Woo’s Stranglehold
  • Capcom’s Dead Rising
  • Star Trek: Legacy
  • Frame City Killer
  • Final Fantasy XI
  • Blazing Angels
  • Ninety-Nine Nights
  • The Outfit
  • Rockstar’s Table Tennis
  • Rumble Roses XX
  • Top Spin 2
  • Tomb Raider: Legend
  • MotoGP 2006
  • Chrome Hounds
  • The Godfather
  • Blue Dragon
  • Lost Planet

This strays close to the region of self-promotion, but have you all looked at Stranglehold? Sequel to the movie Hard Boiled, programmed by the guys who did Psi-ops.

Stranglehold looks good. I’m excited to play it. Still a ways off though, right?

I think there are a couple of decent titles, but many of them will be available on the PC. And out of that group, many of them will play better IMHO due to keyboard/mouse.

Gears of War though is something that does interest me quite a bit, and I don’t think that one’s coming to the PC.

Not that I don’t believe you, but do you have a source?

The only opinions I’ve seen on it are from the western press who have played the Japan demo. And they’re mostly unfavorable, though it seems those that have put a little more time into it say it’s decent. Most of the problems seem fixable, but there’s not much time before the game goes gold for Japan.

Does anyone have any idea how old the demo is? Not when it came out, but how old the build is it was based on?

Not sure, but apparantly it’s a revamped version of the demo from E3: Same stage, but different GUI + bifferent boss.

People are also saying that they lowered the difficulty quite a bit.