What's the best mystery series (that I can watch right now)?

Absolutely. I’ve been such a fan of Nicola Walker since seeing her play opposite Robson Green in the 90s version of Touching Evil.

PBS is big on English mystery series now. Anyone care to mention how they like any of them?

David Tennant’s two most well-known roles. :) Snarkiness aside, add me to the Broadchurch bandwagon, loved it.

Ooh, that sounds cool. Looks like Prime Video has it..

I really liked Inspector Morse. What a cool guy. Available on Prime, I believe.

Foyle’s War is so good. It is the answer to this thread, and everyone who says anything else is wrong. (And not just because he kind of looks like my dad.)

I love Midsomer Murders, it got me into mystery shows. Since the we’ve mainlined Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries and Brokenwood Mysteries, both of which are excellent. Next we’ll move onto Murder, She Wrote.

Collumbo is also stellar.

My wife and I have been watching Line of Fire on Acorn. It’s not an hour self contained mystery, but the seasons are only 6 episodes long. It does a tremendous job of misdirection, where you think the story is going is not where the story is going. It’s about the anti corruption unit in the London Police department.

Inspector Morse is a terrific show. There’s only like 3-5 episodes per year, but they’re like 100-minute TV movies and very high-quality production values for the era. I love how there’s no hand-holding in this series. The plots are typically complex, and they don’t lead you by the nose through it. You have to pay attention.

His sidekick Lewis (played a bit for laughs in the Morse series by the underrated Kevin Whateley) get his own very good follow-up series as well.

Have you watched Endeavour? How would you say that the Morse & Lewis shows compare to the prequel? Since its a period show, I guess it feels more disconnected from the “modern” (ie 90s/00s) settings of the other two?

I’ve watched a few series of Endeavour. I have to admit I don’t connect to it much. The guy playing Morse does a decent job, but the series as a whole feels like they’re trying to “Mad Men”-ize Morse…lots of cute little nods and intertextual references to other media, many of them anachronisms.

In general, I’m opposed to that sort of thing; if you absolutely must, be subtle. It’s not subtle.

Colombo is on Prime IMDB channel for free but has commercials

So it’s definitely not a “single, stand-alone episode” mystery, but OMG this show is sooooo goooood:

Yes, it’s in Icelandic with English subtitles. Yes, it’s the classic “Dead body, whodunit?”. But the show is brilliantly done, and keeps you guessing the entire time. With only two 10 episode seasons you’ll run through it in no time.

If nothing else, watch it for the majestic Icelandic scenery.

I’m going to put my vote in for Miss Fisher. And Columbo.

Acorn TV fr 5-6 dollars for one month would let you watch Brokenwood Mysteries which is really very good.

I always read about how amazing Scandinavian mystery (or Nordic noir) shows are, but everytime I’ve bothered to look I find most aren’t available on US streaming sites. I guess Wallander might be an exception. I believe most are more serialized, though. I’m thinking specifically of The Bridge (Broen), The Killing (Forbrydelsen), and Bordertown (Sorjonen).

One of my most unpopular opinions is that the Cumberbatch Sherlock is terrible. Certainly not as good as actual (former) CW show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

Only seen the US adaptation, which I hated.

Might have to check out Brokenwood.

We’re watching Brokenwood for the first time right now. It’s sooooooooooo good.

True Detective Season 1 was very good if you want to go dark.

Miss Fisher was delightful.

Someone beat me to Trapped, love that show. I’ve enjoyed Bosch for good police procedural with solid mysteries. Unbelievable is really good. Third season of true detective blew me away. I love mindhunter. The sinner is interesting and gets more so after the first season. I really liked American Vandal but not a typical murder mystery. I also liked The Break.

6 free eps of columbo on youtube: