What's the closest you've ever come to dying?

No. But if I recall, that little nub was torn and flapping and not completely ripped off. I never asked him about it ever again even though we continued to play board games and things like that. I don’t recall ever playing football with him again, though.

How cool would it be to have a hinged nipple and be able to hide stuff in there?

So I told my wife about this thread. Did she tell me about some incident that happened when she was six? No.

She tells me how two months ago, due to unfamiliarity with the roads and sun-glare, she blew through a stop sign at a major intersection with 50+ mph oncoming traffic.

Sobering.

She said she was so upset by it after it happened (she realized what she did when the car flew up going over the crown of the main road), she had to pull over.

No, I think escaping alligators and a tiger in Africa takes the fucking price. That’s my winner right there. It just needs a rampaging polar bear and perhaps Godzilla to reach perfection.

First, this thread was really great. I had no idea it was going to turn out like this. There were some real eye openers in there and I’m grateful for how personal some of those stories were. You guys rock. I want to hug every single one of you and tell you I’m glad your here.

Second, the random question threads tend to get between 20 and 30 entries for the free game drawing, although a lot of times the number is kept low because some people post without knowing the secret rule. But since this one had no secret rule, or maybe since a copy of Bioshock 2 was the prize, or maybe because it’s such a resonant question, there were 90 entries! (I included Matt Bowyer’s and Balasarius’ wives, by the way). The random number generator spit out an 89, so StGabe’s post wins.

-Tom

Wait, what secret? Quick: suspense is killing me.

Is it uncool to post more than once in these?

Everyone of Toms QT3 game podcasts introduces this weeks Random Question Competition and usually there’s some word or format you have to use in your answer to be eligible - Tom being a merry prankster changes these around every week presumedly to entice people to actually listen to him and some forum guy prattle on for hours on end* - and apparently this one had no rules** apart from “post your story”.

• Actually, if I don’t care about the game or feel I don’t have the time, I usually still listens to the “get to know X”-part and the random question as I find Tom to be a very good interviewer breaking all the interview rules and still getting people to open up and tell interesting stuff about themselves.
    ** Actually I was hoping that the rule I’d missed were the “A tiger? In Africa?!”-rule

They’re the hippos of the reptile world?

Everyone of Toms QT3 game podcasts introduces this weeks Random Question Competition and usually there’s some word or format you have to use in your answer to be eligible - Tom being a merry prankster changes these around every week presumedly to entice people to actually listen to him and some forum guy prattle on for hours on end* - and apparently this one had no rules** apart from “post your story”.

That’s kind of a shame. I was really enjoying those random threads as they sparked a lot of good conversation and stories. Now it’s going to be a race to game the system and try to “win”. Oh well.

Oh, they’re fun as long as no one actually gives it away. Of course, it could be more effectively obfuscated if Tom made multiple “drunk at 2am” threads like I tended to assume these were before I started listening to the podcast.

Oh, they’re fun as long as no one actually gives it away.

Yeah. Let’s see how that goes.

I think that we need to have about ten people start threads on QT3 Thursdays at 2 AM to obfuscate the real thread. Sure, people will figure it out, but at least it won’t stand out as COMPLETELY bizarre!

There’s no system to “game”.

Sorry. I thought Toms point was to entice people to actually listen to the podcasts to the end, not to keep some grand secret.
Also, he still wants people to answer his actual question, but include some secret word or such, so if the question is interesting like this, I don’t see how knowing why Tom is asking would ruin the thread. Also there’s no system to game - you either answer using whatever form he requires and gets to be part of his drawing, or you don’t.

Like any other thread, if somebody starts with an interesting post others will participake.

He has specifically indicated disappointment multiple times in both the threads and the podcast when people spoil the game.

He went so far as to post one in a different forum and to change the rules so it’s not just a word, but came down to format or letter use.

I imagine he’s simply given up now and that people have demonstrated an ardent refusal to get the hint.

Maybe he needs to institute a “Spoil the thread, receive a copy of Deus Ex” policy.

Ok, I didn’t see that.
I will play along nicely then.

Wait, so this means everyone else is posting sober? How’s it working out for you? I’ve been thinking about trying that one of these days.

My first hint was Tom’s post above, so he can’t be too upset. I have a backlog of gamer podcasts so had no idea.

I hope folks don’t think this is some inside joke being played on them. Some of these questions are just goofs that hopefully start a conversation. But then there are a few questions like this where I’m really glad how much we get to learn about the people on the forum. This was a sobering thread and I’m grateful to everyone who participated, regardless of whether they listen to the podcast or not.

-Tom