What's the deal with XBox and RPGs?

Seems like most of the RPGs I’ve played have been on the PS2. Is this coincidence? A corollary of Japanese companies mostly avoiding XBox? Or something else?

I know Oblivion is coming to XBox360 (and PC); is there anything else coming in the near future that stands out?

I like the graphics on my XBox, and I’m sure I’d like 'em on the 360… but right now I’m thinking that my fondness for RPGs favors the PS3. I’m sure I’ll have both eventually, but maybe not in the next 12 months.

Microsoft bought out a bunch of Japanese RPG developers. So you can expect to see a lot more Japanese-style RPGs for 360. I couldn’t find other links beyond the Sakaguchi links (dunno why his name stuck in my mind) – other people probably have them off the top of their heads.

Say, are smilies permanently disabled for everyone? Can’t find out how to turn them back on :-(

Cheers!
Rob

That’s really it. Very little Japanese support on the Xbox, and they account for most of the RPGs- Dark Cloud 1&2, Final Fantasy series, Disgaea (and La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, etc), the Shin Megami series, Breath of Fire, Dragon Quest…

Should be better this time around, there’s already a few Japanese developers signed on. Keep an eye out for Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey…

Whatever happened to American RPG development? Sure there’s Oblivion and Bioware is doing its thing, but outside of the MMO space it would appear that American developers/publishers have largely abandoned the genre, leaving the Japanese to continue to serve gamers’ needs. Which seems odd because it really does appear as though there is a large desire for quality RPGs these days.

American cutscene technology just cannot keep up. We only have the capacity to produce one Blizzard trailer every three to five years. If we switched our cutscene funding away from dazzling CGI and towards realtimewasting animation, we could catch up to them in four decades. Currently, their inane dialog abilities are so well developed, they actually make our attempts at pointless expository dialog and clumsy overtures seem like the script for Casablanca.

We will not be able to compete with the Japanese in an open role playing game market unless we get serious about crapping out animal eared, giggling, sexy sidekicks with voiceovers and lines so mind-numbingly retarded that the average nerd’s(Your.) girlfriend will packup a suitcase and go ride muscleheads the first time she catches him (You.) playing the dancing minigame he (again, you.) will need to master to win his (Your.) sidekick special shoes that will make her say she likes his (admit it, your.) character (the fifteen year old orphaned, starcrossed, amnesiac, stoic elf boy you seem have at your beck and call.) Seventy five hours later. (Should only be seventy, but you left the game on pause to go to Shoney’s and a movie once.)

American RPG developers always seemed to cater to the PC market and seem to believe that that the console-style RPGs are too beneath them. (Re: Flowers)

With the PC market dwindling, I’m guessing most of the smaller ones folded a lon g time ago(Didn’t the guys that made Vampire close up a few months back?) and since PC RPGs tend to focus on 1st person 3D RPGs, there’s probably also the problem of long development times when compared to the straight up FPS.

Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, check. When are they due out?

I thought the post was funny. :) He’s pretty much got the jRPG cliches pegged, not that western RPGs are any better about their cliches. Much worse now with Bioware at the forefront (HERE COMES THE PLOT TWIST!)…

With the PC market dwindling, I’m guessing most of the smaller ones folded a lon g time ago(Didn’t the guys that made Vampire close up a few months back?)

Dwindling? Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Witcher, The Fall, and NWN2 are all coming to a pc near you pretty soon. You’re right that it’s been a lousy year or two for RPGs, but all things work in cycles. Why should RPGs be any different?

and since PC RPGs tend to focus on 1st person 3D RPGs,

News to me.

there’s probably also the problem of long development times when compared to the straight up FPS.

Duke Nukem.

Post of the week.

Flowers post is brilliant. Almost ashamed that I spent 90 hours with DQVIII and loved it.

A Deus Ex sequel that doesn’t suck would fit beautifully on the 360. Shame it probably won’t happen.

Whatever happened to that System Shock sequel as well? Bioshock was it?

still on the horizon. Was included in VE’s top 20 games of 2006 article a few days ago.

Whatever, dude. I can’t be bothered to be ashamed. I’d much rather play in a furry-ear RPG than succumb to the tedium of another generic FPS. I want to be manly and all, but they’re so boring…

Aren’t they equally generic?

Damn, beat me to it.

That brought a tear to this old man’s eye, Flowers. sniff Absolutely beautiful.

This industry needs a Wizardry revival the likes of which will not be forgotten. Offer pre-orders a pair of acidwashed jeans, tickets to an old Ratt concert, and a cutout standee of a half-nekkid model wearing a platemail bustier and you’ve got a solid start.

Unfortunately our quirky eastern neighbors have other plans for the license…

The Xbox audience is only interested in KOTOR-like RPGs and even then they’re not that interested in them. That’s the main problem. The console mostly appeals to racing, FPS and sports fans for some reason. Just look at the best seller lists.

I think KOTOR topped out the sales chart for about a year. I’m part of the x-box audience and I’d like to see more variation in RPGs. But its not like there are a lot of RPG dev houses out there. I guess you’re complaining that there aren’t enough jRPG/Console RPGs on the x-box? I don’t understand where you’re coming from with your lament. The PC RPG market hasn’t been that great lately either. Gothic? Dungeon Siege? Dungeon Lords? Boring.

It’s hard for a non-existent RPG to make it onto a best-seller list.

Dwindling? Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Witcher, The Fall, and NWN2 are all coming to a pc near you pretty soon.

Unless I’m missing someone the number of signficant North American RPG developers is three: Bethesda, Bioware, and Obsidian. And I’d wait for Obsidian to get a few more titles under their belt lest they go the way of Troika. The other titles you listed, Witcher and The Fall, are from an unproven Eastern European developers (Witcher) and The Fall got pretty poor reviews in the European press IIRC. Bioware is certainly becoming more focused on consoles than PC and Bethesda is putting at least equal effort into both.

And I wouldn’t classify those titles as “soon” either. Other than Gothic 3, I think you’ve listed every single single PC RPG of significance for the next two years or so.