What's the definitive Steve Martin performance?

Well it’s hard to pick just one innit?

I feel like we need a poll!

L.A. Story also has Richard E. Grant. Just sayin’.

And like buttons.

Spoiler alert!

Although as I think about it, I guess 3 Amigos is a tad racist. :/

Similar in a lot of ways. I didn’t see many of his ‘classic’ roles because, well, they are older than I am.

But his ubiquotous SNL guest roles, plus I have seen some of his films. On top of that he has so many scenes that are hilarious out of context. I’ve never seen The Jerk, but I have seen several very funny scenes from it.

That said even if I haven’t seen the majority of the titles called out here, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is so fantastic that it is my pick anyhow.

Yeah, but I don’t predate his movies. :P

The Man With Two Brains is my top pick, followed closely by The Jerk and The Lonely Guy. But for the definitive Steve Martin performance, I’m gonna go with that time he did a cold open musical for SNL that was actually good.

I’m got bored halfway through The Jerk and turned it off. :(

Oh damn, I forgot about that one!

That’s my #1 choice now, if I had to pick just one. He uses his 70’s energy in a different way. Now I have to find it somewhere…

And soul music !

Yeah, that’s an awesome opening, and with my favorite cast!

I came here to say that and it’s already been said. To be fair, I’ve known people not from L.A. who didn’t get some of the humor…but if you’ve lived there, it’s spot on.

I really need to watch some Steve Martin moves now, I used to have them all on VCR back when I was a kid, taped off the telly, mostly from late night movie showings with copious ad breaks.

For some reason I seem to remember Pennies From Heaven being my favourite among all the ones mentioned above. I love me a musical though, Little Shop of Horrors was also a well worn tape in my house back in the 80s.

OH GOD DON’T MAKE ME CHOOSE JUST OOOONE!

Okay, L.A. Story.

His book Born Standing Up is a must-read for any fan. (Or a must-listen if you get the audiobook.)

The Jerk is “early persona” definitive, but yeah, it’s probably L.A. Story overall.

While not definitive, Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid is normally a lead pipe cinch for a film buff, but then there’s that grampa movie thing. If only he’d gone with low-rent horror instead of low-rent noir!

Also not definitive, Pennies From Heaven is curious and interesting, and reflects an aspect of Steve Martin’s taste that isn’t always front and center. Plus it has Bernadette Peters melting all that stuff, and Christopher Walken dancing, as God intended.

My Blue Heaven is a sentimental favorite here, too. It picks up where Goodfellas left off. There is a slight shift in tone.

I’m gonna call you Lifesaver. Wait, no…

Well that’s not very nice. :)

I gotta say, Tom is spot on - watching Steve Martin (and Martin Short) in Only Murders in the Building is like slipping into a comfy pair of shoes. They are just so good at what they do, it’s like they are not even trying.

I am not minding Selena Gomez as much though, the Martins need a foil and her overly flat deadpan delivery is obviously intentional direction in that regard. I thinks she is doing well.

L.A. Story or Leap of Faith.

Really like him in the few dramatic roles he’s had as well.