What's the latest word on GTA IV's release?

From what I have heard, they used the 360 version for all trailers (and demos to the press, even Playstation magazines/sites) because the PS3 version had some pretty rough performance issues. Worse than what you see in the trailers, obviously. I’m sure the delay was to give them more time to make a nice polished PS3 version, among other things.

Really, every version of GTA on the PS2 (easily the lead platform) has had framerate problems, sometimes severe. I’m not really surprised the next-gen versions are. I think the best we can hope for is “usually fairly smooth with some stuttering at times,” and it’s more likely that it’ll be one of those games that just has a pretty poor framerate, and you stop caring after a short while playing.

Huh, I never had framerate issues on any version I played. I have faith they will work this out and it will be fine, they have earned that by delivering 3 of my favorite games.

Chet

I’ve had the issues Jason mentioned. But I also agree with you, Chet, that they’ve done enough to convince me it should be a great experience. I’m still seeing Spring. I’ll guess April.

Get a five star rating, get a rocket launcher, and start blowing stuff up. There are very noticeable framerate issues in the games.

However, the GTA games were indeed my favorite of the last generation (and I played them on PC!)

He probably played them on the PC where, with a powerful enough system, there would be no framerate issues.

You are wise.

This is true. The Xbox versions also had much better framerates.

Most people just got into the game on the PS2 and never noticed the somewhat choppy framerate (it’s not just when things get really hectic, either. It’s not that great just tooling around town sometimes.). I expect the same on the 360 and PS3 versions.

So for some reason when I view this thread, the banner ad is for “Christian Singles”.

Maybe “GTA” means something different to the evangelical crowd…

Official word from TT:

New York, NY - January 24, 2008 - Rockstar Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is proud to announce the release date for Grand Theft Auto IV, the new title in the genre-defining Grand Theft Auto franchise. Developed by Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto IV will be simultaneously available for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and will be in stores worldwide on April 29, 2008.

“We are so excited to be releasing Grand Theft Auto IV,” said Sam Houser, Founder and Executive Producer of Rockstar Games. “We’ve pushed ourselves very hard to make something incredible and hope the game sets a new benchmark for interactive entertainment.”

-Julian

Maybe this is the thread to point to these Just Cause 2 screens :)

http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen_detail.asp?id=12582&img=img1.jpg

Woot, late April and not the Fall! Going to be a long 3 months waiting. Time to schedule my vacation!

ok, so they still haven’t shown the ps3 version to anyone? I’m assuming its because its so awesome.

The graphics are a lot better this time around.

They’re making Just Cause 2?! Awesome. GTA IV, Mercs 2 and Just Cause 2. Wow. I better get all my backlogs cleared before summer …

I’m grabbing this regardless, but I’d have Rockstars babies if they’d revert back to something like GTA3’s non-licensed custom music for the radio stations.

Now to decide if I want the safety deposit box version or not :)

Just as long as they have more talk radio stations with the likes of Lazlow! Good 'ol Chatterbox FM…

It’s hard to harness the 4D and bring it into the 3D universe where the rest of us can see it.

Maybe add Precursors :) These are new screens:

http://www.precursors-game.com/eng/downloads/gallery/screenshots.html

You’d think they’d learn their lesson in Boiling Point but noooooo, let’s do something ridiculously over-ambitious again! This one I’m definitely in the believe-it-when-see-it mode.

Over ambitious PC games ftw!