What's the plan for Guitar Hero?

The rumor I’m hearing is that we’ll see two more content discs this year (One is allegedly all Aerosmith) and then GH IV in the fall, which will include drums and vocals.

No clue how reliable the inclusion of drums and vocals are, but good sources have commented that “one or two” content discs will be released before GHIV.

Why not? I could see it easily happening, it’s all a matter of changing up the graphical themes.

Would it sell?

Drums made by Red Octane would be great, as long as they work with Rock Band.

groan

I’ve never heard anyone talk about how they kill Pat Benatar’s ‘Hit Me With You Best Shot’ or the Living Colour jam. They will sure as hell talk your ear off about Through the Fire and the Flames and Raining Blood.

Any time I talk someone’s ear off about Through the Fire and the Flames and Raining Blood it’s about how much I hate those fucking songs and how I’d enjoy GH3 much more if they weren’t in the game. At least one of them is an optional bonus song, but it’s one of the most popular choices when playing online.

I would certainly pay good money for a metal-free version of Guitar Hero.

Activision can go to hell.

The hardcore players, which have a pretty vocal (and welcome) representation here in sluggo, obviously love the insanely difficult shreddy metaly stuff. The metal stuff gets a lot of discussion time by default because it’s the hardest. And certainly there are metal, or at least heavy rock themes throughout the style and interface. But we’re still talking about a small portion of the playlist when it comes down to what the game is actually made up of once you get past the presentation. So I’m standing my ground, a “no-metal” Guitar Hero would not “defeat the purpose of Guitar Hero.” It’s always been about feeling like an awesome guitar player, full stop.

+1

I’m glad I held off on a GH3 purchase, and picked up RB instead. In the end, it’s all about the software, and truly, Harmonix has the mojo in the category they created. I mean, props to Red Octane on the guitar and the concept and all, but Harmonix gave the franchise its soul.

That soul now resides with RB. Neversoft might have made GH look purty, but they just didn’t get it.

Neversoft didn’t make it look purty, they made it look like a whore. And by “it” I mean Judy Nails.

Classical Gas would be fun.

If they release a Hendrix GH, I’ll buy it. Otherwise, my soul belongs to Rockband (and the drums!).

Judy Nails ftw.

I just got my first GH game. I got GH3 because I could not find the GH2 bundle locally (since remedied). I have not played GH or GH2 (or Rock Band) as of this writing, however.

That being said, GH3 is fun on easy and medium. Easy I was able to roll through, only ‘losing’ the last battle to Lou, once. Medium is plenty of a challenge with the addition of the 4th color to worry about. I do not think I would ever enjoy Hard or Expert, but who knows, I have only had the game for a weekend. About half the time I miss I note I feel like I should have hit it…but I missed it either because my green button sucks balls (seriously of the notes I miss, 75+% are this one, maybe my guitar is busted) or my strum bar does not provide enough tactile feedback.

What I’d like to see for future installments? More songs I like, either performed by the actual bands or with better covers. Some of the cover vocals are TERRIBLE.

This is why I like Rock Band – Almost all of the songs are the originals, and the ones that aren’t are actually well done (at least imo.)

I’ve always wanted to play La Camisa Negra by Juanes on GH.

Other than that, as far as I’m concerned the plan for GH would be to RELEASE THE GODDAMN STANDALONE GUITARS.

Uh, yeah. Once you’ve mastered Medium you’ll want to try Hard (and then Expert), because the fewer notes that are left out of a song the more it feels like you’re actually playing it rather than just doing DDR button pushing.

Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3 are both almost all original versions now, both games made a lot of progress on that front since Guitar Hero 2.

In fact, the only disappointment is the Rock Band DLC, which seems to go about 50/50 so far on covers/originals.

Funk Hero, with some kind of bass-slap mechanism or wah-wah pedal/button. Gotta get me some Bootsie…

Seconded. I am seriously eager to see some proper funk. I’m hoping they’ll do a bit of that in Rock Band DLC. Of course the only major downside is that the guitar and bass parts are going to be very repetitive.

I think their first plan should be having some GH3 in stock on the west coast of Canada here. I’ve been trying to get the Wireless version for like 2 months now without any success, but I managed to score rock band the other day on the first shipment to the stores in my area.