What's the verdict so far on Project Fi?

Echoing the “It’s fine” sentiment. It works, and I don’t use much data, so it’s cheap. I lose coverage on a couple spots on my commute but they’re literally in a National Park where they can’t just drop a tower - not going to blame Google/Sprint/TMobile for that.

The cheap midrange Android phones are also a major plus.

I’ll fourth it. My family is on wifi 95% of the time, so it doesn’t make a lot of sense for me to spend a bunch for the best coverage or big data plans. I’ve been on Fi now since it started and it’s worked well for me and saved me a ton of money. It’s also been great to have wifi calling, having no issues making calls when others can’t get a signal.

Yep, works great for me and the wife. Much, much less expensive for us than anything else.

Works fine for me. Importantly when I go to England in April I know it’ll also work fine there for voice and data and that I won’t be charged some stupid rate for roaming data or some nonsense. I just buy a gig of “international data” for ten bucks and I’m set.

This is good, because England changed all their one-way roads since I lived there, so last time I was there I couldn’t work out how to get anywhere without my GPS.

Being able to phone England for a penny a minute is good too.

I’m still on the venerable Nexus 6P which I’ll have had three years next week. The battery was starting to slip a little (to the point where it would only last all day, instead of most of two days), so I bought a battery and replacement kit off Amazon and swapped it out and it’s back to being strong again.

I haven’t had to interact with Google Support at all though, so I might have a better impression of the service than I would if something had gone wrong.

They were fine with me. My phone went Samsung (got really hot and stopped charging, there was a short somewhere). I call, they bump me up to someone else, I email her a picture of the burnt charging port. She’s like “yeah that’s burnt” and they cross ship me another one.

P.S. Anyone tried using the messaging app Signal? I can’t get Signal to stay as the default SMS provider. I’m not sure if it’s because I use gmail/hangouts on the PC? My incoming SMS messages still show up on Hangouts. I have tried googling “pixel signal” but… signal is a bad word to google.

Working fine for me. Had a problem with Google support when my 1st Pixel 2 XL screen breaking on the first day. Got a replacement and it’s been fine ever since. I changed how I accessed the internet with my phone. Before on Sprint I paid one price whether or not I used data. So I never used wifi with my phone unless I had to. With Google Fi I started to use wifi when ever I can now and I have cut my bill in half. To me it makes a difference when you have some control over your costs. Also it’s nice to be able to use the hotspot without a data cap. Although I may change my opinion after I change from Comcast internet to a different provider. Xfinity hot spots are everywhere.

There’s a setting inside Hangouts you have to uncheck. Fi actually sends incoming SMS to their Hangouts service with it checked, so there’s no SMS for Signal to pick up.

I already changed the wifi calling thing and rebooted! oh wait inside hangouts! I’ll check!!

Yeah, Hangouts -> settings -> [your account] -> messages toggle

Thanks! Well that’s well-hidden. Ok so I won’t have visual voicemail if I do that hmmm… Oh well, the only people that use signal are a couple of paranoid techies anyway.

I was able to make Signal the default messaging app but it would not receive multimedia messages, so I switched back to the original app.

Over the past several weeks / months I started getting an “Invalid Sim Card” message. Then it tries to reconnect to service and eventually does after a couple of minutes. I finally opened up my sim tray and reseated the card and then searched on line.

Apparently this seems to be a popular issue with Moto X4 and the Android 9 update.It happens when connecting to the Sprint network. Apparently this has been going on since December. I don’t think it started happening on my phone that long ago, but some people have.

I was also starting to have lots of issues with my sim card in Nexus 6p last year. I had to keep ejecting the little tray and putting it back in. That’s why with the Pixel 3 I went with the virtual sim card instead, even though it came with a new Fi Sim card.

Does the Moto X4 support Virtual Sim? If so, you should switch.

(I do still have the sim card in a drawer somewhere in case I go overseas, since not many international places support eSims yet, last I checked).

Edit: Nevermind, just googled it, this is from the Fi Forums:

I don’t think so. But, I don’t think it is really a problem with the sim card. It’s some type of issue with Fi, the Moto X4 and the Sprint Network.

This is so true. I don’t have much experience with the big cell phone service guys (before Fi I used Virgin Mobile), but it’s great just being able to use features built into the phone without worrying about them being locked behind some sort of extra fee. Being on (mostly) vanilla Android is great too.

Now that you mention this, I had this issue for a few days, almost to the point where I was going to contact someone, and then the problem just went away. I saw it had something to do with the network you were connected to (or trying to connect to), but I haven’t seen the message for a while so just forgot about it.

I have a Moto X4 and have not seen the sim card issue (knocks wood).

Do you live in an area where T-Mobile is stronger than Sprint? It only happens with the Sprint Network.

I spoke with a support person last night and they are working on this issue with Motorola (or whoever now makes the phone for them). They don’t know how long it will be. They gave me a dialer code to use where I can force the phone to use T-Mobile for 2 hours. They also gave me a $50 service credit.

There are a couple apps that will show your signal strength and force a certain carrier via the dialer codes and save you some trouble from doing it manually - I use Signal Spy and there’s also FiSwitch.

I haven’t used it in a while but believe my area is usually T-Mobile. No issue with my Moto.

I’ll keep that in mind. I added a contact with the dialog code so hopefully I can just use that contact to dial it.

I may have to dump Fi. It’s either my phone or the service, but it’s so bad voice is basically unusable. About half of a conversation is dead to one of the people talking. About half of my conversations are “hello? Hello?” because the other person isn’t certain if I am still on the line.

I need to get some other phone to compare.