What's wrong with Penny-Arcade?

Yeah, I got that this was your point. My point is that Ellison on Stewart would be a great fit. :)

I think the onus is on the host to provide a proper interview environment for the guests in terms of stating relevant questions. I haven’t heard the podcast, but it seems that there was just no synergy here, and that’s usually* the fault of the host. David Letterman, Conan O’Bryan, Jon Stewart, Tom Chick, all of them work to involve their guests in a meaningful conversation that almost always has to do with something actually related to the guest.

*when you have a guest like Joacquin Pheonix or Brett Favre, there’s fuck all you can do to make the interview palatable to the audience

Depends on the show. In an ironic hipster interview, that may not be the onus of the host.

Aw, someone’s using meaningless blanket terms to avoid new cultural engagement.

It’s not an interview show. They guests on a comedy podcast.

Oh I’m sorry, when I said “interview” I meant make talking interesting.

The PA guys had such a batshit insane reaction to this whole event it must have been Bad™. I’m a regular reader of their comics and columns and I can’t remember a time they have been this acidic towards someone. It was certainly undeserved, but having to spend an hour on a boring podcast where you don’t say much and don’t laugh at the jokes hardly counts as torture or something you should call out the host over.

tl;dr they overreacted, but since it’s the first time I’m inclined to cut them some slack.

Errr… was there some point in PA’s history where they convinced gaming nerds that they’re not a pair of assholes? I don’t remember PA ever pulling a punch with something they didn’t like, regardless of how irrational it was.

Harlan Ellison wut?

But this man is “America’s radio sweetheart”! How dare they insult someone no one has ever heard of!

Yeah, imagine what might have happened if the show had gone well and they’d linked to it! All the traffic might have brought the site down.

Alex, do you think there will be a police investigation into these allegations of murder? I’m surprised these maximum fun chaps would be so bold to murder cartoon characters and then joke about it on a comedy podcast (no interviews, please). I suppose it was fortunate that Jerry and Mike were there to document this crime!

The whole sick kid’s charity thing does nothing for you?

There are a lot of people like that on these very forums.

I was going to mention that, along with the fact that around the first Child’s Play they made a comic for the event that they couldn’t even link to the kids because it had cursing.

I like PA because they’re not going to change based on public opinion or political correctness. I know several assholes with money that donate to charity.

So is alexlitel Jesse or Jordan?

I hope they put this podcast up so we can listen to them piss Gabe off royally as described by Tycho. It sounds like it could be one long awkward exchange from The Office.

I dunno, it sounds like the PA guys may have been assholes about it, but after reading that New Sincerity thing I have trouble blaming them. You can’t declare yourself opposed to irony and then dress in a bowtie and sweater vest.

I wasn’t aware that there was something wrong with the old, 1.0 version of sincerity that there needed to be a 2.0 version.

It’s a hipster thing.

The hipsters killed sincerity. They’re trying to bring it back. Although apparently they’re also hipsters so it may be an impossible task.

Seems more like they killed it and are now sodomizing the corpse.

Yes, you can. For example, I sincerely like Imagine: Party Babyz much more than Fallout 3.

Bill O’Reilly and Rush Limbaugh raise money for charity.

No, I am big name in comedy podcasting who collaborates with the likes of John Hodgman and Jonathan Coulton. I’ve probably daydreamed about the possibility though.

I’m so old, I don’t even know what a “hipster” is.