What's wrong with Penny-Arcade?

I disagree. I think (and think Haruki Murkami would agree with me) that life in an advanced capitalist society killed sincerity. Hipsters are simply products of their environment.

According to this thread, it is “a person younger than you who you do not understand.”

Believing that requires not having ever seen anything other than an advanced capitalist society. Oh, and the belief that sincerity is dead.

It is very rarely the case that older people “don’t understand” younger people. When older people say, “I don’t understand younger people,” what they mean is, “I, from the light of my experience and the experience of my peers at the same time, know that this is foolishness, and in the light of this knowledge it is difficult to return to an age when I did not have it.”

It’s why middle-aged folks generally start calling their parents more often. It’s that realization that, “Gee, they knew what they were on about. Maybe they know other things, too?”

I’d just assumed that was prompted by the looming spectre of Death.

I’m pretty sure somebody has to get off of somebody else’s lawn at this point.

Now I’m confused as to which side you’re arguing.

I only pointed out the charity thing as you’d said they’d done nothing to prove they weren’t assholes. They do have some heart.

Jeez, if they didn’t you’d have probably already murdered their fictional personas.

See, if you’re not being ironic there, you’re wrong. Either about your preference of game or your irony status, I’m not sure which. Possibly both.

According to this thread, it is “a person younger than you who you do not understand.”

Whom.

As much as you may wish to believe otherwise, DJ Jazzy Jeff and/or the Fresh Prince, you and the “new cultural engagement” you’re white knighting for are not exactly difficult to comprehend. The thread isn’t having trouble understanding the New Sincerity, it thinks the New Sincerity is immeasurably stupid. The “ironic hipster” label is not an insult, it’s giving them the benefit of the doubt.

But what is happening may still be a lack of understanding. Often it is. Were kids just bein’ stupid and young when they discovered rock and roll? Do old people know that real music only comes out of violins? Is it juvenile and irresponsible to tolerate faggots? Fuck that. For fuck’s sake, Rimbo, try being right sometime. Just for the goddamned variety of it.

Not that I’m defending Sneeringly Protesting Own Super-Sincerity Guy, but damn, his problem is not YOUTH.

And you, litel, you say we don’t understand the “new cultural engagement” of the New Sincerity? Why don’t you explain it to us? Go on, you’ve got an audience. Evangelize.

U. MacGrid nailed it. Go ask anyone still in high school (youth!), and they’ll tell you that blogs and podcasts (also twitter!) belong to not-youth. I dare you.

It’s all relative. By my standards, anyone under the age of about 32 or so is “youth.”

Your mom is relative.

In that case, as your elder, I expect you’ll be deferring to me from now on, right?

Take his lands and women, madkevin.

Drive him from the former and report to us on the lamentations of the latter.

That would be what’s best in life.

Well, so much for my answer of the open steppe, fleet horse, flacon at my wrist and the wind in my hair. Damn, can’t I be right about anything? ;)

Use flesh for aforementioned conquering, as it is said to be stronger than steel.