Whedon To Direct Avengers - April Fool's?

Favreau had a big hit with Elf, Branagh has the Shakespeare movies. Leterrier, granted, hadn’t done much in the past, but then Hulk didn’t recoup its cost at the box office domestically either, so it’s not like he’s a good argument for using an unknown. Favreau and Branagh aren’t Speilberg, but they’re solid and they’d proved themselves prior to their Marvel projects. Whedon hasn’t.

And that’s great that Marvel might be looking for someone who can direct an ensemble cast, but if Avengers is going to be worth your time, it’d better be in addition to their action capabilities, not instead of.

Maybe take a chance on Whedon with something lower profile and see what he can do, but I can’t see them throwing him right into Avengers. Does Deadpool have a director attached? Give him something like that.

I don’t see Whedon being interested in the project anyway. There’s no omgz awesome superwoman involved yet.

There’s Black Widow and Wasp.

I doubt they’ll let him make Black Widow the star, and is Wasp even a character yet?

If they were going to do anything with Runaways wouldn’t they just go to Brian K Vaughan since he created that property and has writing experience? Also a far better writer.

She should be. She’s a founding member and one of the most consistent members in the series. Scarlet Witch becomes pretty badass at times, and she’s kinda like Willow…ummm…a witch, anyway.

Actually, Ms. Marvel is pretty damned powerful, if they wish to include her. So is Captain Marvel (the black woman with light powers), but I don’t think she’d make the cut. All the heavies are men, obviously. There is no Wonder Woman in the Avengers.

But there’s a Wonder Man…

I suppose they could give him tits.

Just to be clear, I know the source comics have a plethora of female powerhouses to draw from, but at this time the Avengers movie cast seems decidedly male and Whedon seems drawn to stories with at least one incredibly strong female lead character.

I would guess the Avengers movie is going to be the new Avengers lineup save Spidey and Wolverine. So, Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Spider-Woman, Hawkeye, and Iron Fist.

I’d be surprised to see Iron Fist make the cut. Spider-Woman doesn’t have much recognition out in the real world (which is made worse by people thinking of Spider-Girl when she’s mentioned and then you’re wondering what in the world she has to do with Spider-Anything), but she’s pretty prominent in the comic lineup these days. So maybe. But Iron Fist doesn’t have the recognition or much of a presence in the comics any more.

Sure it is - it was a very notable bomb at the box office, losing a lot of money when you take into account the cut the theatres retain and the marketing.

I liked Firefly and Serenity a lot, but after Serenity’s box office performance, and his failure with Wonder Woman - he’s not going to be handed a big budget movie ever again.

No chance - they’re going to go with the original lineup, which is also basically the Ultimates lineup: Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Giant Man/Ant Man and Wasp.

I agree with both of Desslock’s previous posts.

I loved Serenity, but it exists as proof that nerd passion alone cannot generate a box office success.

Oh I get it. You think “bomb” means “less than I wanted it to make.” Got it.

Using the same word to describe Serenity and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is an absurd notion and I’ll have no truck with it.

Oh I get it. You think “bomb” means “less than I wanted it to make.” Got it.

Using the same word to describe Serenity and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is an absurd notion and I’ll have no truck with it.

I would rule this out except for two factors.

1. Whedon has a relationship with Marvel
  2. Marvel is cheap. It is entirely possible that Whedon is the best willing director in their price range.

Apparently you don’t. Dude, there’s only one definitely of box office “bomb” – which is ‘made less than it cost’ at the box office. And Serenity didn’t recoup half of its budget (once you include marketing and the large percentage of gross receipts paid to theatres) in initial release. Complete bomb. Sadly. I certainly wish that wasn’t the case, but denying it is just silly.

Clearly, you are prepared to come to blows over the definition of “greatly.” I am willing to admit that if your expectations for Serenity’s take were much higher than they were, you might interpret “at least breaking even and probably more depending on how you count it” as “a great disappointment.”

My sympathies. Meanwhile, you’re still using the same word to describe Serenity and Heaven’s Gate and any rational person would notice that although one could make the definition of “box office bomb” fit both films, only a truly absurd intellect would compare the performance of them to each other.

Since you’ve gone the Wikipedia well…

So even if it makes its money back on DVDs, it still can be considered a box office bomb. (This is why the word ‘box office’ gets stuck there on the front.) I know you dislike the idea of flops or bombs because it means the same word one can use to describe a huge disaster of a movie (Cutthroat Island) can be used to describe the one you like (Serenity), but oddly enough Charlie Manson and Fred Rogers can both be described as Americans, speeding and murder can both be described as illegal acts and sugar and dreain cleaner are both chemicals. So sometimes words can be used to describe a wide range of things.

I’m not sure why you’re offering Desslock your sympathies. He’s not the one who genuinely seems hurt that mean people on the internet are suggesting a movie he likes underperformed.