When An Artist Transcends The Material (A Covers Thread - Sort Of)

Yeah, I instinctively clicked on the photo, hoping it would play. :)

This isn’t really in the original spirit of the thread, but as the go-to covers thread, I felt I had to include one of the best cover artists (or singers period) I’ve ever heard: Marc Martel.

Like most people, this was my first introduction to him, and I was blown away by how much he sounds like Freddie Mercury.

Here he is playing around with Nessun Dorma as both Luciano Pavaratti and Freddie Mercury

Marc’s cover of Jeff’s cover of Leonard Cohen’s 'Hallelujah"

Whitney Houston’s ‘I Will Always Love You’

Radiohead’s ‘Karma Police’

Goo Goo Dolls’ ‘Iris’

Frank Sinatra’s ‘My Way’

A-Ha’s ‘Take On Me’

R.E.M.'s ‘Everybody Hurts’

Just to name a few…

Ace Frehley’s cover of Hello’s New York Groove for the ill-fated KISS solo records has aged incredibly well. It’s irresistibly catchy!

Paul Anka sings Nirvana. Yup.

Different strokes and all that. It’s one of my favorite “Devo songs” (almost counts as one because they totally made it their own). I forgot to link upthread, so for those unfamiliar, see below. I especially love the repeating bass riff and the instrumental bridge.

Let’s get back to transending the material.

The Smiths’ “Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want” is almost comically melodramatic as Morrissey lazily and petulantly sings it.

In the film “This Is England”, Gavin Clark and his band Clayhill cover it over the final bit of the film… And – given Clark’s terminal depression, anxiety, and addiction to deal with those things – this becomes transcendent in every way.

Seger is dandy but the sisters kick ass