When do the next generation GPUs drop?

He was already hitting 1900Mhz, clocks arenā€™t the problem.

The funny thing is that I totally knew it wasnā€™t performing as expectedā€¦ and I knew it just by ear. Because I remembered how the gpu sounded when it was at max 100% sustained use (freaking noisy, thatā€™s how) and the sound wasnā€™t bothering so much in the last months! Now it sounds like it should :P

Last bencharmk, Borderlands 3

BenchmarkResults 2022-05-26_19-52-55 => now

• FramesPerSecondAvg: 76.14
  • FrameTimeMsAvg: 13.13

BenchmarkResults 2022-05-19_14-19-13 => hey this gpu is broken!

• FramesPerSecondAvg: 35.35
  • FrameTimeMsAvg: 28.29

BenchmarkResults 2019-11-02_20-54-30 => original 2019 results

• FramesPerSecondAvg: 78.70
  • FrameTimeMsAvg: 12.71

Free upgarde!

Yeah it was super weird. If the config was bad it could easily be running low clocks and low power, but high clocks and low power suggests some of the silicon was somehow not being used.

Surprise people, my gpu has returned to have the old, bad performance it had!

The difference is, this time I am not able to fix it, as much as I play around with MSI Afterburner. Crucially, Iā€™m not able to make it hit the power limit like in here:

not even when putting the power limiter to the max (108%).

I tried already half a dozen variations and no dice, Iā€™m tired. Fuck this, it will stay as is until I buy a new one. Backlog/indie time.

This is the way. You may even find it to be a blessing in disguise. I was without a GPU for a while and used that time to revisit old classics, and I wound up enjoying them more than newer titles.

Join Us šŸ¤“

Weird thought, but youā€™ve tried it in another slot, right? I just wonder if the power delivery on the motherboard might be borked and therefore itā€™s not consistently drawing the expected amount from the PCIE.

On the bright side, the 4060 is going to be a nice upgrade :)

Finally the prices are approaching msrp here:

Then again, this tech released on Fallā€™20, at this point it should be below msrp.

Theyā€™re down to 850 USD (plus 75 tax) here so about the same I think. Theyā€™re not selling out at that price either, which is interesting.

Maybe the market for people who wants a gpu for >800ā‚¬ is already all fulfilled and saturated.

At least the ones that havenā€™t decided they might as well wait for the rtx 40x0s.

I mean, had the price been under $900 for 3xxx card, oh, a year ago, I might have bought one. At this point, with other things claiming my money (hello, $15,000 septic replacement, Iā€™m talking to you!), and my system approaching three or four years old, it makes more sense to wait until I replace the whole kit and caboodle I think. Then I can probably get a fast 3xxx card much cheaper as part of a system, especially after the 4xxx versions come out.

Gigabyte 3080 back in stock at Bestbuy and B&H for $800:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigabyte-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-vision-oc-10gb-gddr6x-pci-express-4-0-graphics-card/6471957.p?ref=8575135&loc=f32ce0bae1bf11ec80188230a98a46550INT&acampID=f32ce0bae1bf11ec80188230a98a46550INT&skuId=6471957

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1661972-REG/gigabyte_gv_n3080gaming_oc_10gd_rev2_0_geforce_rtx_3080_gaming.html?SID=19b4ede0e1c011ec8ce41ecc22d9047b0INT&ap=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnNyUBhCZARIsAI9AYlE9XfOhUhGqCHUYLfSXwW66T8LBd4hdpgZQO7Iva855mc46-yxIiyAaAirREALw_wcB

Amazon tooā€¦

Inflationā€™s really confusing.

Newegg has the crappiest share function in their appā€¦.

3080 12GB $799

3090 Ti looks impressive performance-wise, but at a steep price and power draw.

So with all things said and done, the RTX 3090 Ti is indeed the fastest graphics card weā€™ve ever tested, but it comes at a steep price - power draw, space and your human currency units. As a value proposition, it barely registers, but the 3090 Ti does at least offer a frightening portend of the future: graphics cards that consume more power than entire mid-range systems and have a greater area than some motherboards - although they do run video games pretty well.

I wish Flight Simulator had a benchmark.

Also, I was disappointed to see thereā€™s not much performance difference in the Ray-Tracing comparison.

So much this. My entire desire for computing power now is driven by MSFS 2020 performance, specifically in VR.

Yeah, itā€™s a little weird. Thereā€™s never been a game before where I felt ā€œthis is the only benchmark that mattersā€, but really, thatā€™s the only benchmark that matters to me, because thatā€™s the game that pushes both CPUs and GPUs hard, and itā€™s totally an awesome game that letā€™s you explore the entire fucking planet.