When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Yeah so I was looking for a RX 480 to crossfire with my current one. Apparently this oldish mid-tier card hit a sweet spot for mining, so it is pretty much sold out.

Just coming here to rant against miners. Grrrrrr.

Now I’m wondering if I should just join them if I can’t beat them…

I do wonder how much money I’ve left sitting on the table with a GTX 1080 in a PC that gets used about 3 hours a week…,

My boss paid for my 1080 TI about 1150 dollars (Import, taxes and store markup, it’s a somewhat logical price here for a top shelf GPU).
Then the prices started to go up. It reached 1700 when they realized nobody would buy it and dropped it down to 1350.

It’s insane.

Well, this will be the end of PC gaming for me unless prices come down. I was planning to build as soon as the next non-Spectre/Meltdown chips come out, but no way in fuck am I paying that much for a GPU.

They need to figure this shit out, or it’s going to hurt them in the long term. Price gouging never looks good to the consumer.

On the positive side, it looks like the new cpus with specter fixes will not be out until the end of this year or early next year, so there’s lots of time to wait for this to get sorted!

I would really love to buy a new pc right now, as I don’t think I can play any of the most recent demanding releases on my rig. I’m rocking 970 and a super old i7-920, and there’s no way in hell I’ll be able to play anything like assassins creed, shadow of war or far cry 5…

If I was going to upgrade in the near future, I would get a Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 7 2700, coming out on April 19. Looking at 10% performance increase from current Ryzens and no Meltdown vulnerability. Will still have Spectre though.

Edit: If you need a GPU, Dell has a XPS with a i5-8400 CPU, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and a GTX1080 for $1100.

I’m going to buy an entire pre-built system instead of pieces I think - my whole kit is old old old, and the only stuff I can really salvage is the SSD/HD (and maybe power supply?)

Do companies like dell do AMD? (Edit: I found some AMD CPUs, I guess I’ll have to look in a month or two once Dell has systems out.)

Dell had some pretty good Ryzen-based XPS systems last year. I would have gotten one if I was in the mood to upgrade. I’ll definitely check out the Ryzen 2 models.

My EVGA GTX 670 died a week ago so I was forced to jump in and buy a replacement card despite the current price craziness. I just wanted to get something inexpensive to tide me over until I can get a new system to replace my current aging one (over 5 years old). I don’t want to do that until the new cpus with Spectre fixes come out.

I ended up getting a MSI 1050 TI 4GB OC card for $219 at Newegg. The good news is that it’s an upgrade over my previous card and runs very quietly. The bad news is the price was 50% higher than what I’d have paid back in 2106 for the same card. I guess it could have been worse. That same card was going for over $300 not very long ago. So, maybe things are improving?

Looking at Newegg and prices continue to drop. Vega 56 for $699, Vega 64 for $799. A few weeks ago, they were listing the Vega 56 for $999.

Trying to gauge if prices will skyrocket again in the near-future.

I’m playing Far Cry 5 on a 965M without issues. M as in mobile.

You should be fine on an 970.

I’d check the system requirements in any case. It would also depend on what resolution he wants to run the game at.

My system feels like a dead donkey if I try to play a game designed to run on a toaster (league of legends) while running VLC on the other monitor.

I’m gonna wait on that new swanky-ass Dell @stusser was pimping up thread to show up. No doubt FC5 will be a little cheaper in two months.

I’m fine with this.

Back in 2106? Wow.

Absolutely a great point.

There’s a techspot.com article where they run the game with a ton of gpus and the 970 did fine at 1080p with high settings so the game doesn’t seem to demanding.

The GTX970 (and thus also the GTX1060) absolutely smokes 1080p. That won’t change anytime soon.

Well except for Quantum Break DX12 and Forza Horizon 3 in Ultra on 1080p. Those two are unoptimized dogs.

And honestly I don’t know if the fucking JPL can run Dishonored 2 PC. What a turd of a port, for a game I was really excited to play too.