When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Which is awesome considering the 970 was released 3 1/2 years ago. Thankfully mine is still going strong.

And it looks like I’ll be using it a while longer, since Nvidia didn’t announce a new gaming GPU at GTC after all.

Games haven’t become markedly more demanding over the past couple of years. Console refreshes run at higher resolutions, not higher fidelity. So all the old GPUs remain useful.

It’s insane that upon seeing a Vega 56 at $679 I’m tempted to buy it on the spot. But that’s what happens when you’ve been waiting to upgrade for the last 3 or 4 years.

Fortunately the venerable 290x can still handle even recent games like Kingdom Come: Deliverance with settings that aren’t terrible, although at no more than 1080p. I’ll wait for prices to slide some more.

Hopefully that day is coming soon. There are now Ethereum ASICs; apparently the company making them is ordering 20,000 per month from TSMC.

I was at Fry’s yesterday and the entire GPU section was wiped clean except for a handful of really awful low-end cards.

Gigantic signs everywhere in the section too: All GPU Sales are Final - No Returns.

https://shop.bitmain.com/product/detail?pid=00020180403174908564M8dMJKtz06B7

Prepare for a glut of used GPUs hitting the market soon.

Probably not, they’re projecting worse power efficiency than a 1060 or 1070 gets (180MH/s at 800W, while the 1070 supposedly gets 30MH/s at 100W). These ASICs can’t make GPU mining unprofitable. The benefit seems to be just a much lower hardware cost. So let’s hope this at least makes miners stop buying new GPUs for mining…

I’ve wanted a new GPU for maybe 8-12 months and this cryptocrap pisses me off. I think I paid close to $300 for my last card and paying twice that burns me.

That said, I guess I might be able to sell my existing card but it’s the concept behind the situation.

This is the longest I’ve ever had the same GPU, by far. R9 290 turns five this year.

Prices are so bad that I think I’d leap at a new card that is “only” priced $100-$150 over MSRP.

Good news, chaps. I finally scored and picked up a 1080ti from Nvidia for MSRP!

Prices should be crashing any day, now.

Grats! I have a founders but am jealous of that ti

Is that $700? Does start to seem like a bargain :)

Yeah, I shoulda bought two and sold one!

Yeah, I’m preparing to pay $1089 for an overclocked Asus 1080ti from Microcenter today…tired of screwing around with the Nvidia site.

A 1089ti :/

Try the EVGA site. They have stock, but still overpriced, just not as bad as microcenter, at least not as bad as the one in Rockville MD

I’ve gone all Conor McGregor over it, and I’m getting the card and an X34 monitor from Microcenter…I’m not playing…but I am paying lol.

I’ve got an EVGA 1080Ti SC2, in a 6 core i7(8700K) rig (mini-ITX), 960 EVO, etc. I slapped a watercooler on it and… just didn’t do much gaming. No time. It has sat totally unused and powered off for most of its existence.

It’s in a pretty great case, too. If anyone’s interested… hit me up with an offer. I’m in SF but would ship. Not looking for a profit. I think I paid $750 for the card, but I’d prefer to sell it all at once. The rest of it I expect significant depreciation on.

• Core i7 8700K
  • EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 (converted to water-cooled with a Kraken G12)
  • ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING motherboard
  • Phanteks Shift mini ITX case
  • Dual closed-loop AIO coolers (quiet system)
  • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
  • Corsair SF600 SFX power supply
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000 Mhz / C15)

Small footprint, looks fantastic, and plays very well with decent temps and is almost inaudible (or good temps and a little more noise). Weirdly, I never took a picture when it was closed up in all its tempered glass glory. But here it is naked just after I finished building it. The GPU is around back and has the larger of the two radiators (120 & 140mm, if I recall correctly).

Think the Asus GM501 might be my next laptop for portable VR. Thoughts?

That’s an awesome looking PC. I have no need for the parts, but very cool build. Hope it finds a good home.