When do the next generation GPUs drop?

I never understood why water cooling is ever a thing. Water. Electronics. WHEN THEY MIX SPARKS FLY, and not in a good way. People can tell me how high the heat capacity water has, compared with other coolants, and how quiet it is etc. etc. But just a tiny leak will ruin your expensive rig.

Don’t forget that the ancient mainframes from yesteryears were cooked by water coolant. Imagine millions of dollars equipment being risked years ago. So I think coolant make sense, just need a really high quality one.

My dad is a programmer for IBM mainframes and has always been super amused that desktop PCs wound up reversing the course of mainframe cooling solutions and going from air to water.

If this article is accurate then this will be a great option coupled with a cheaper freesync monitor:

We’ve seen this song and dance from AMD before, haven’t we? Sky-high promises that lead to massive disappointment when the parts actually ship.

I mean 1080 performance for $250 would be like magic, so isn’t that already the point where we should at least grab our grains of salt?

I wouldn’t expect that to happen. Usually they move one level down, which would offer GTX1080-class performance for around $380. If AMD offers GTX1080 performance at $250 that would be a huge shot across the bow at Nvidia.

MSRP means shit until crypto mining collapses.

Cryptomining creates money out of nothing, it’s obviously unsustainable. The bubble will collapse eventually.

Wccftech has consistently been wrong by a large factor on performance (usually not so bad on price) with these card predictions. I do not trust them at all anymore as I’m getting more and more convinced that they are just posting these stories to get that sweet ad revenue.

ATI/AMD hasn’t had competitive silicon with the same quietness/power draw since at least 2013.

Nvidia would just ship their next gen product that leaves anything performing like the 10x0 cards in the dust.

Yeah, isn’t competition great?

You just described how allot of modern countries central banks operate.

Real currency is backed by the full faith and credit of a government. If that government is stable and the nation is prosperous, the money has real value.

God help me, I bought a used Vega 56 on eBay. Seller has a perfect rating with thousands of sales. Warranty appears to transfer. If I sell my old R9 290 for $100 (which appears to be the going rate), then it’s actually cheaper than MSRP + WA sales tax.

Gets here Saturday.

And I ended up buying a new EVGA 1070Ti and removed my R9 290 also. Based on recently ended Ebay auctions… my old card will go for $150-$200 unless I go the Craigslist route.

1180 Specs leaked … maybe:

The source for this info is WCCFTech which has been wrong wrong wrong so many times about this stuff that I don’t trust them one bit.

Yep, I understood that as well, thus … maybe. Still it’s worth discussing. I had not heard GDDR6 for the next major GPUs, so that was news, and a major change, if true.

noooo i need to stay king of the hill for longer with my 1080ti. not since the 8800gtx have i been king of the gpu hill.