When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Nah, RAM is still fucked up and fully SPECTRE (or is it Meltdown)-proof CPUS aren’t out yet.

Okay. Since my machine can still play Battletech, I guess I can hold on a bit longer.

I’m curious if I’ll ever bother to upgrade my 4670K/290x setup again. I miss videogames :(

You and your fancy 290X. I’ve been stuck with a 2500K and single HD6970 (ever since its partner died) for a year now!

I’d have been on my increasingly unreliable 6870 to this very day if it weren’t for @wumpus’s penchant for buying every piece of technology released, ever.

The 6970 in my machine right now is the one I did the old oven-reflow trick on last year. I’d try it on the now-broken one, but now that we own our house and are responsible for our own oven, my wife frowns on the idea.

Hah! I never risked that particular maneuver. I run my PCs 24/7 because turning things off and on again is too time consuming, so I tend to burn through fans really fast. They died on my 4870 and prompted the 6870 emergency buy, and then they died on there, too. I bought a kinda janky aftermarket cooler and a ton of extra bits like heat spreader pads for the VRMs and sort of duct-taped it together into a mostly functional card, but the new cooler didn’t make enough contact to let the card do much more than run Solitaire. The 290x was a big boon for me. And then I kinda stopped playing games. Oops :(

2500k is still a helluva fine cpu, vulnerabilities aside.

Honestly, I don’t think I’d notice the difference for an upgrade. I’d be happy just slotting in a new video card. At stock clocks, the 2500K is still about as fast as my work laptop from a year and a half ago, and it’s still running merrily at 4ghz, as it has been since 2011.

4670K should still be adequate. I have the same CPU and paired it with a 1080 Ti.

To be clear, I don’t miss videogames because my setup is bad. I don’t enjoy FPSes, and nothing else would tax my system at 1080P lol. I just don’t have time anymore…

Data revealed in article:

Demand from cryptocurrency miners was stronger-than-expected in the first quarter and translated into revenue of $289 million, Nvidia said Thursday on its earnings conference call. Crypto sales will probably fall by about two-thirds in the current fiscal quarter, the company said.

The first-quarter sales were much higher than one analyst projected. Susquehanna’s Christopher Rolland anticipated crypto sales of about $200 million, according to an estimate before the earnings were released.

I just hope the next gen cards somehow work great for VR but aren’t any better for cryptocurrency mining. But I’m sure that won’t be the case.

That could be a nice problem to have, depending on what you’re busy with. There’s a lot of things that don’t seem as fun as games in the moment, but are more fulfilling when looking back.

I spend the bulk of my free time:

• Running and playing in tabletop RPGs
  • Helping manage things for the RPG-focused Meetup group I recently became and Organizer for
  • Making tasty foods and then eating them
  • Going to about two concerts a month, every month
  • Hanging out with local friends for stuff like movie nights, cookouts, museum outings, etc.
  • Trying to drag my gf out into the world to do fun things and occasionally succeeding
  • Shitposting on Quarter To Three

I would qualify the majority of that as fairly fulfilling, yeah :)

In conclusion, you’re better off not upgrading your video card.

You could have been 1/1000th of a Bitcoin millionaire and recouped a fraction of your investment in buying the card by now.

Prices finally dropped enough, so at last I will be upgrading from my weathered 660ti to a 1060 6GB.

Signs point to July:

That’s what everyone is saying. Meanwhile 1070 and 1080s are showing up on deal sites at… MSRP prices. bleh.