When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Linus is sort of perpetually looking like someone from the “I hate this guy” thread, huh?

That’s not right - I have a 144hz display and I often get 144fps in almost every game I own, even stuff like Warhammer II, Far Cry 5, and other games that just came out. If not 144, still way, way more than 60. And really, 60fps vs. 100 vs. 144 fps? Not a huge difference.

You have a 4k 144Hz display?

Oh, sorry, I thought you meant modern 1440p displays. No, that’s true, anything over 60fps @4k is tough right now, but I’m also not really believing going above 60fps means much. I have to have the FPS counter on to see how far above 60 I am, I can’t get a “feel” for it. I was getting 95-105 fps in Warhammer II this weekend, in fact.

But, on a related note, I have set a limit of 60 in most games that allow it, because there isn’t (at least for me) much incentive to run above 60 and tax the card. If I had a 60hz 4K display with HDR I’d be quite happy with that. I assume something like that would be available as well, and probably for a lot less, but I really do want to keep my g-sync, and I suspect that’s only on 144hz flavors.

The steps forward available to monitors seem small compared to the steps forward VR needs. I think sorting out VR technology would be a lot more exciting than more Hz/Colours in olde worlde monitor land.

More exciting perhaps, but VR is a tiny niche market so it’s not going to get a massive hardware launch catered to it. There’s a lot more 4k displays that need some horsepower including Nvidia’s new displays, which is why I don’t believe that a new generation of cards is a long way out (even if that new generation might just be a souped up and rescanned rebranded 10-series).

July 30th for the new Nvidia goodness according to this site:

“People are saying…”. :) No sources cited. I’ll believe it when Nvidia announces it.

Imagine if they put out a 4k 60fps capable card at $199.

IMAGINE!

They won’t, these things follow a very predictable cadence with prices increasing a touch every generation.

The 1170 will be the same speed as the 1080ti at ~$500, the 1160 the same as the 1070ti at ~$300, and the new 1280 will be 15-20% faster than the 1080ti at ~$700.

The same reason that for years APple would only release a 16GB low-end iPhone when the next steps up were 64 and 128. A 32GB model would have taken a hammer to their revenues because for a lot of people, 32GB was just enough for everything. As it is, 16GB was extremely limiting, but if you want to have a comfortable amount of storage, you gotta pay up.

A nice precise prediction we can remind you about :)

But I don’t like @stusser 's prediction!

I feel good about my predictions, but the 1180 may start at $800. Depends on how ballsy Nvidia is feeling.

Given the possibility of miners driving prices back up, people might go for it.

If they offer solid 4k performance I’d do it. :)

I can’t see it being worth upgrading from the 1070 / 3440 x 1440 I’m at now. These might be great cards… but things are great enough.

If there is an 1160 for $300 that’s 1070ti powerful, I know what I’m buying next. (Sorry, AMD.)

Yeah, you always pay a lot for the highest-end card, you go a step or two down and suddenly you’re getting great performance for your dollar.

I’m still rocking a 970. As I only run 1440p, I have not seen any reason to upgrade, not at these prices. Eventually I may just end up getting a new system (mine is an older i5 from five years ago).