When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Spoken like someone who’s not flying flight sims like Prepar3D v4.2 in VR. :-) I’d be happy with double the perf of my 1080, thanks. And 90 fps is the target for VR, not 60, to avoid kludges like ATW.

Well, very little PS4 Pro content is native 4K; it’s mostly upscaled/checkerboard. Even Xbox One X titles are sometimes upscaled. So there’s definitely headroom for more power; we’re not maxed out.

Yeah, you got me there - I still have no interest in this tech. Maybe some day.

As for checkerboard, from what I’ve seen it’s so good we’re talking about the difference between a .jpg and a .png. Sure, it’s there, but the larger file size of the .png isn’t hardly worth it. I kind of instead wish we’d get checkerboard 4K with our PC games, honestly.

So there is a glut of Nvidia GPUs?

If so, why are the prices not moving?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4182662-nvidia-appears-gpu-inventory-problem

My guess would be memory prices. And of course it’s not like Nvidia would devalue their product below MSRP just because they have extra inventory when AMD isn’t really competing. At most they would just slow manufacturing.

Ehhhh this isn’t quite true. You can reliably do 60fps @ 4k in most new games with high settings and the very occasional “medium” in tougher / image-wankier settings.

Plus HDR is coming, eventually, as stussy noted. It’s been kind of a tech nightmare to get there. Anyway the 1180 would probably provide enough headroom for 60fps “all the time” at 4k plus potentially HDR at 4k.

Looks like the 1180 and beyond are fairly well delayed to the end of this year, maybe even into early 2019 and beyond – the rumors are a chip glut they want to work through because mining is finally crashing. Oh well.

Debatable… on the left is checkerboard 1080p, on the right is 720p upscaled to 1080p.

So is now a good time to build a PC? I recently got the Oculus Rift, and along with performance issues I am dealing with a bunch of minor annoyances in my aging Sandy Bridge PC.

Here’s my list, please comment:

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ywdh9J
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ywdh9J/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($145.99 @ Mike’s Computer Shop)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.00 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($90.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($220.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card ($706.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($68.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1371.95

Thanks

Does HDR even require much more GPU? I mean, it’s not like turning off HDR in a PS4 game changes the frame rate. The TV is doing all the work, I assume?

Not really, DDR4 is still exorbitantly expensive.

If I’m remembering right, your mobo and cpu don’t support overclocking, so the extra cooler is probably overkill?

HDR does require more bandwidth. You can’t run 4K HDR at high refresh rates for example, the new Gsync displays the are just coming out that support it start color compression above 60hz if you’re using DisplayPort. Need HDMI 2.1 for enough bandwidth.

So not really the GPU working per se, but what GPU you have might affect your ability to use it, if you care about high refresh rates.

This doesn’t seem great.

The 1080ti’s are going for around 700 now. I don’t know why you would spend that much on a 1080, although that’s a sale price and in USD.

Yeah, that price is in beaver pelts.

The i3-8100 is a great budget CPU now that it comes with 4 cores.

Exchange rate is about 1.3 CD to 1 US right now so that’s a bit under 550 USD

Oh, no shit? That does make the i3 attractive. Four actual cores, not two actual cores quasi-split into four bullshit cores that are really two actual cores?

I’ve bought i5s forever because they were the obvious choice for “CPU matters to me, but I don’t spend all day encoding video.”

Okay so this guy:

EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 DT 749.99 - 75 FATHERSDAY18 code $674.99

Was that price directly from EVGA. And I think EVGA prices a little higher to the others. Some of the others were around 730.

Aka the ti prices seem to be dropping pretty quickly, right now, from 1200 they were before.

Yes, coffee lake is different. On the desktop, core i3s are 4 cores / 4 threads (same as pre-coffee lake i5s), i5s are 6 cores / 6 threads, and i7s 6 cores / 12 threads. Thank AMD for actually competing for the first time in over a decade.

No kidding - ram at $220 CAD is still crazy. But, it seems to me like prices will come down very slowly at best, as there’s just one or two providers?

@ArmandoPenblade Probably true, but the action of tossing aside the stock cooler is ingrained in the psyche of my build process (even if I’ve only done it like three times including with friends). Worth $30!

The i3 is an awesome under-rated processor so I’ll probably go with it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a Cryorig on my 4670K that’s very slightly misaligned because I tried to put it on after everything else was already installed in my build (cuz it was an after the fact upgrade) by myself and kept fucking it up, so I don’t get good enough contact to actually overclock at all…just wanted to point out a possible savings :-)

Depends whether or not this goes anywhere:

If China really lays into it, we’ll have cheap RAM next year.

Edit: Fixed link to one that doesn’t gate behind a paywall.

The cheapest 1080 Ti that I can see is $940 CAD for a Zotac - but I’ve heard that brand is somewhat mediocre. A lot of cash since I still think of graphics cards as ‘up to’ $400 even though I know that’s out of date.