When do the next generation GPUs drop?

Yeah but the 8400 with a mobo is often around 200. 8100 isn’t going to be better than that right? I guess I don’t see the point for 8100 if that’s the budget.

I was looking at the i5-8400 - definitely faster for highly threaded games, of which there’s one (Ashes of the Singularity). Beyond that the i3 seems to have great all-round performance for a lot less money.

Actually the i3-8350 can be the fastest processor currently available for gaming, but I probably won’t get into overclocking this go around, as longevity and stability are more key these days to my aging self. But maybe I’ll read some reviews of the i5 again.

I can’t easily see Canadian pricing but in the US, it’s not cheaper. You can literally get an 8400 cpu with an Asrock board for 200, sometimes less. Your’s is listed for 236. That’s the only reason I am mentioning it.

Because the 1080tis are 700 I’m seeing the 1080s for around 550-600.

Not trying to increase your budget or anything, just thinking you’re really close to the higher card price on one and the 8400 combos could be the same price for what you have listed. These are, of course, deals, not retail, but they are somewhat frequent deals right now.

8400 is obviously better, sure. The i5 also supports turboboost which is disabled in the i3, which runs at its clock all the time. But when the i5 boosts to 4.0Ghz and the i3 is 3.6Ghz all the time, that isn’t a huge disparity.

If I was looking for the 8400. I would have had my build done already.

I still can’t decide between the 8700k and the 2700x and the price of RAM as it is gives me a little time to decide. 1080ti under MSRP is a go, unless they actually drop another card soon. There is debate about that being a rumor though.

Personally, I would not purchase an intel CPU until they fix meltdown. Not without an outstanding deal.

Outstanding deals is all I do… I think the only thing I am going to get screwed on this time is that RAM… and that has happened to me before, long time ago, earthquake, I think, maybe a different disaster, something natural caused that.

The quake and tsunami both:

Yep/. Although I can’t complain too much. My 2012 rig is what i am replacing. It has lasted me that long with only two minor updates!

To follow up both with an edited link about this and some quotes:

Later, the regulators launched investigations into Samsung, SK Hynix and Micron, which collectively hold an over 90% share of the global DRAM market, the sources said. Samsung, SK Hynix and Micron have all confirmed the visits of China’s antitrust regulators to their local offices. The companies said they would cooperate but did not elaborate. According to China’s antitrust law, Samsung, SK Hynix and Micron could be fined between US$800 million and US$8 billion if found to have engaged in price fixing, the sources noted.

Meanwhile, China is striving to raise the country’s IC self-sufficiency rate. A few memory startups, such as Yangtze Memory Technologies (YMTC), are being financially supported by their local governments to develop production technologies in-house. By intervening in the memory prices, China also intends to protect its local memory chipmakers’ bargaining power in the future, the sources said.

And, in case there’s some thought that this is China doing this for the world good and not China just being China:

Micron is alleging United Microelectronics Corporation (UMC) of Taiwan blatantly stole its intellectual property and gave it to a Chinese DRAM foundry startup, Fujian Jinhua Integrated Circuit Company.

Following this alleged theft, Chinese regulators opened an DRAM price-fixing inquiry against memory-makers Micron, Samsung, and SK Hynix – and Fujian Jinhua and UMC accused Micron of patent infringement in China.

Fuck ZOTAC forever. Shipped me a bum 970 and refused to RMA it because apparently it didn’t repro on their test box even though it was an easy 100% repro in my machine. Fuck them.

It’s not a brand in my list either.

Thirded

Is 16GB RAM enough for five years from now? The alternative motherboard I’m looking at only has two slots.

For gaming, it’s fine, even probably 5 years from now. Unless there is a sudden drop in prices I bet the next gen consoles will have only 16GB of combined ram anyway, which has to also cover the video memory.

I have been using 32GB in my current system and it feels great. Even if its not needed, its about the feels.
Plus I mean it is used, it just stores stuff you looked at before, for quicker access.

Me too, but I literally never have gone into my system resource monitor and seen more than that first 16GB being used. And I do a lot of shit on this PC. (It’s 10GB right now)

Yeah the argument for 32GB isn’t nearly as strong as the argument for 16GB… here’s what I see on my 32GB box.

Stuff is indeed cached, all the memory is used, but… for the record I resisted the urge to put in 64GB though 😉

I’ve considered having a script that runs every time I startup Windows that creates a 16GB RAMDisk and copies over the files from whatever game I’m playing at the moment. The game would need to be less than 16GB on disk obviously, but many games I play would fit.

I wonder what loading improvements that would give.

I think @instant0 has mentioned doing something like this in the past, but I think he has 64GB.

Probably not a whole lot. Windows is pretty smart about caching stuff in RAM, and I expect the copy time is going to eliminate most of your gain.