When do the next generation GPUs drop?

I had one of those, too.

HP iPAQ H1940 Pocket PC Amazon.com

I remember reading about those back then, and then scouring the city looking for one without success. I finally gave up and got whatever the Nvidia equivalent was, or as close as I could afford.

I have a Pocket PC in a box here along with all my dead cell phones from years gone by.

Well what will be AMD’s next move, interested in that.

Cingular 8525. Loved this thing. Mainly because somebody ported Vice to it.

Navi, which isn’t due until Q1 2019 :(

Freesync on a Nvidia is possible if you have a Ryzen APU according to this article:

Anyone on the forum who can test?

Speculation , but interesting if true.

Pretty cool analysis of the Battlefield 5 RTX demo:

• Even with very early usage and optimizations, the game could run at around 4K resolution with ray tracing enabled still hitting around 20-30FPS. This surprised NVIDIA
  • Lots of potential for optimizations which could have significant performance improvements without sacrificing visual quality - still early days for now though

I definitely wouldn’t want to buy V1 of this product but it’s nice to finally see productized ray tracing which could lead to a massive improvement longer term.

Yep, that’s the conclusion I reached as well. I’m optimistic about ray-tracing in the future, but I just don’t see any compelling reason to upgrade from a 1080 today. I’ve got the money ready to spend, but I’m not feeling the urge.

Of course in a month or two 10-series cards won’t be available so you’ll have to buy a 2060 or 2070 anyway.

Stop talking sense!

I hope to sell my 1080 as soon my pre-ordered 2080 arrives. To reduce the cost of ownership. :p

I don’t even care about ray tracing, but I do care about 60fps @4k, and my 1080 (non-ti) just can’t do that in every game with settings maxed out.

Yep, that is true. I run at 1440p and really just don’t care about going to 4k. 1440p is super sharp.

I would upgrade for HDR, once that’s available at a reasonable price at high refresh rates. But not 4k.

Since I got a 1070 last time I think it will probably be worth the jump to the 2080.

Sadly, there won’t be any cheap 1070s around I bet, or if they are, it’ll be for an eye blink.

Newegg price on the $749 EVGA 2080 has already jumped to $799. Looks like EVGA bumped the price as well. Guess I should have kept the pre-order.

Don’t worry, I am sure the price will settle down again after a few weeks. That’s how it worked last time right?

I’m still using a 970 and desperately need to upgrade for VR and DCS. Do I bite on the lower priced 1080s or wait for a 2080? Ugh, when do benchmarks come out already!

I am waiting for the benchmarks myself. If they are not worthwhile, 1080ti here I come.

Leaked benchmarks, which could of course be BS, show the 2080 only ~6% faster than the 1080ti. That is far lower than the performance improvement generally expected from a major generational increase. Traditionally you would expect the 2070 to be around that performance level.

Going by core counts and clocks, the 2070 should be much slower than that-- maybe 25%.

So long story short, rather than 2070=1080ti and 2080=1080ti+20% as expected, 2070=1080 and 2080=1080ti.

This all makes sense if you remember they’re also releasing a 2080ti, which has a ton of cores and will genuinely advance rasterization speeds in existing games. But it’s a lot of money.

Thing is, AMD still can’t compete.

Vega56, 1070-class performance, $475
2070, 1080-class performance, $499

Now I’m sure it’ll be difficult to find a 2070 for under $599 for at least a couple of months and AMD looks a bit better there.

Vega64, $580, 1080-class performance
2070, $599, 1080-class performance

Of course AMD has nothing to compete with the high-end 1080ti, 2080, or 2080ti. Anyway, I expect AMD to reduce Vega prices substantially.

I’ve had the irrational thoughts to both switch one of my 1080p monitors to 1440p, and to upgrade my R9 Fury I bought 2 years ago for $279. The latter kind of sucks without dropping a ton of cash it seems (outside the $250 1070s on ebay that are probably sketch for being that low), and the 20xx series seems like a ton of additional cash for not much benefit. I guess my only hope of upgrading in the next 2 years is hoping AMD doesn’t drop the ball on Navi :-/.