When do the next generation GPUs drop?

But isn’t the 1080ti a ~30% performance increase over the stock 1080 ?

So going from 1080 >>> 2080 would be ~36% increase.

So for the 1080ti >>> 2080ti, we need numbers, but its has to be around 30-40% increase I would hope.

Yes but typically the 70 model matches the 80ti of the previous generation. 1070=980ti. 970=780ti. The 80 model is usually the highest-end, so it eclipses the 80ti of the previous generation. Except this time, Nvidia is selling the current gen 80ti at the start of the cycle, so the 80 offers much less comparative performance.

That’s why they’re selling the 80ti early, because they dedicated a ton of silicon to ray tracing and their chips didn’t gain much performance in existing games at the same core count and frequency. 80ti has a ton more cores.

I’m withholding judgement until I see real benchmarks with real drivers, but if it’s true that there’s not much of a performance improvement I think that’s a pretty big misstep by Nvidia and doesn’t make a whole lot of strategic sense to me.

I realize that Nvidia doesn’t have a lot of pressure from AMD right now and they don’t need to drastically boost performance to compete with them, but they are selling those BFGD displays which the current 10-series just can’t really handle well. There is need for improvement in the 4K space especially at the refresh rates GSync monitors support.

If the 20-series (at least the 2080) can handle 4K reliably at 60+ frames, dedicating so much silicon to visual improvements like raytracing make more sense to me. At that point, more raw horsepower isn’t so needed and the raytracing stuff might give their cards another advantage over AMD outside of performance.

See all this makes me wonder from a technical point of view if the new cards are mining machines that just happen as a side benefit to be good at ray tracing. But i’m pretty ignorant on the underlying technology here (it seems about around the time of bitcoin mining i lost interest).

Those BFGD displays are barely going to register in their financials and they’re certainly not going to drive decisions about their graphics card pipeline. They’re stupendously expensive and aimed at the nichest of niche markets. They won’t be selling a material number of them. It’s effectively a marketing ploy.

It seems like if you’re going to try to transition to a new lighting/acceleration paradigm, this is the right to time, when AMD can’t compete on rasterisation power (and when 1080s are more than powerful enough at anything less than 4K). In another generation Nvidia will be better at both rasterisation and raytracing and should be able to compete with whatever AMD has managed to come up with by then.

That’s true, but if you expand that out to “4K Gsync displays”, there’s a much larger market looking for more horsepower. If you have a 20-series that really doesn’t move the needle and still doesn’t provide adequate performance at 4K, I don’t see what the point is in 1080+ series owners in upgrading? Especially at these premiums? Maybe when raytracing is more of a thing…

There isn’t a point. Why does there have to be?

Because people are having to open their wallet for $700-$1000?? People don’t do that without a point in doing so.

But they won’t. This card isn’t for 1080 owners.

Is the 1080ti capable of 4k 60fps in all games with ultra settings?

If not , there is reason to upgrade. :)

We have no evidence the new cards are capable of that either. No evidence they’ll perform better than a 1080ti at all.

Oh the 2080ti will certainly be higher performance than the 1080ti. No actual evidence yet as it’s all under embargo still, but it would be outright shocking if that weren’t the case.

@Ginger_Yellow: So your argument is that Nvidia doesn’t want your money? The 10-series came out 2 years ago. They would love for 1080-owners to upgrade, but they didn’t offer an upgrade at the same price-point this generation. Why? Because they made a bet on ray-tracing, and they can’t spare the silicon to do it.

And yes the 2080 is a substantial upgrade to the 1080, no doubt about that, but if it’s only 6% over the 1080ti it isn’t an upgrade from this generation. It didn’t make sense to upgrade from a 1080 to a 1080ti, and if the leaks are correct it doesn’t make sense to go to a 2080 either for non-raytraced games. In the past you could buy a *70 card at around $399 to get that same performance jump; this generation it’s $499 (and probably $599 for an extended period).

If you picked up a 4k monitor, maybe you do it anyway. Or if you think raytracing is super-cool and are willing to pay for that. But for existing games, at 1440p or lower, no chance.

Yes, exactly. And I’m saying that now seems a good time to make such a bet, since most 1080 owners don’t have any exogenous reason to upgrade, and there’s basically no competition from AMD at the top end. I was questioning the reaction that some people seem to be having saying either that Nvidia is crazy to be doing this or complaining about them not being more explicit about improvements in rasterisation performance. But this generation isn’t about giving an increase in rasterisation performance to the 1080 generation, and that’s fine. If you have a 1080, just sit it out. It’s been a long while since it was actually a good idea for anyone who has any budgetary constraints to upgrade from one generation’s flagship card to the next one.

My point precisely.

Well yes, but it did make sense to go from a 780 to a 980, and a 980 to a 1080. Those were all huge upgrades.

Very true!

croons softly to his GTX 1080

I have a new rig with no video card in it at all, well an old 6950 just so I could install stuff. I also have an aversion to wasting money, the 1080ti is going for pretty good deals at the moment.

Any good examples? I have no idea what a good deal on a 1080ti is at this point, but the current 20-series stuff is priced out of my league.

Hmm, random internet site suggests 35% - 40% increase based on Nvidia marketing guy. Also the delta between the ti’s will be greater than the 80s.

Suggests that the dollar per frame will be MORE for the new cards than the existing ones for the first time because of ray tracing.

Seems reasonable. Leaning towards a 1080ti before benchmarks kick them back up in price.

EVGA had one of theirs for about 680 with a PSU not too long ago. So if you discounted the PSU, maybe 600. There is a lot of speculation on price and supply though due to the new cards, so that could go up or down based on what we’re all waiting for. And unless I am wrong, could be, EVGA still holds a premium above some other brands. Zotac was around 650 too but I think that was also an OC addition.

sorry for the edits. So I am thinking 1080ti for around 600-700, and if I was going to spend that much is that the better option than the news one. Sounds like… maybe.