When do the next generation GPUs drop?

So what’s the deal with miner cards? Would they be a bad investment, or does underclocking make them OK? Looks like there is a selection on ebay for ~$500.

The price of video cards is out of control IMO.

It seems pretty risky to me to take a card you know was used for mining. Heck it’s probably risky to buy any used card because it has high potential to have been used for mining.

Yeah, that is what Nvidia’s marketing said.

Actual leaked benchmarks, which may also be BS, say the 2080 is ~6% faster than a 1080ti. Given that the 2080 will cost at least $800 if you’re lucky enough to find one, if that’s true, a 1080ti makes a lot of sense.

Newegg is selling a 1080ti for $609 right now, not even a bundle.

I wouldn’t buy an ex-mining card unless it was substantially discounted. A $400 1080ti, or a $250 1080.

Went from a 780 to a 1080. Whoa. /Keanu

And with my 1080p 60fps business it should stay just fine long past the 2080’s lifetime. Or longer.

Considering that the 980 is perfectly fine right now for 1440p gaming, I think that’s a safe bet, unless you get a 4k monitor.

I don’t see that happening until 1080p is no longer available :)

Are there particular reasons you want to stick with 1080p, or is that just the monitor you have?

Idk Civ 6 came out and sucked so I’m still without a reason to upgrade anything until Elder Scrolls VI in 2022 or whatever

It’s what I have, it’s a nice IPS, it’s the right size for my desk, and I can not afford to go 4k right now.

I’m thinking these leaked 6% benchmarks are just a ploy by Nvidia to quickly sell off their remaining stock of 1080’s and ti’s at top dollar.

The more I think about it, the more I want to sit the next gen out. Ray tracing in games will have a performance penalty, and it isn’t clear if (like PhyX) it will take a while to become mainstream (if at all). And the price they are asking on launch is just too much, and it signals the price isn’t going to come down to earth post launch. Sure it pushes the envelope of image quality but I’m not spending the amount they are asking (plus a new PSU).

Maybe by the time the 3000’s come along, Nvidia will have ray tracing down to a science. Also maybe by then I’ll have saved up for a 4k screen :)

Now that the “high end” has been pushed into the $1,000+ realm I don’t consider that a problem. nVidia feels like they’re intent on seeing just how much the enthusiast market is willing to be abused at this point.

Agreed. I’ve never spent more than $300 for a videocard and I’m not interested in nVidia trying to paint that as the new low end price point. For the sane, I’ve seen Radeon 580s going for sub $200 on deal sites recently.

It’s already sold out but the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 dropped to $499 (with 3 free games but I’d rather just have a lower price). Yesterday is was something like $580, I think. It wasn’t marked as being a sale price like Newegg sometimes does.

This is one of the best Vega 64 cards around. I was leaning towards getting it even though I’m sure prices will drop more - currently have a 290x and 4k monitor.

By comparison, the cheapest v56 is $425 but the cooler isn’t what I’d want.

This is my situation too, except I’m also kinda holding out for next-gen VR hardware. Doesn’t seem to be anything coming in the near future VR-wise though, and my 970 is still doing fine at 1080p. I was planning for an upgrade this Fall, and may still jump on any great bargain that pops up, but for now I feel like I can afford to wait a while longer.

There was an open box on Newegg for a Vega 64 for $436 that I came across. I spent 5 minutes trying to decide if I should buy it to upgrade from my R9 Fury and in that time it sold out hah.

Vega 56 now has 2 models dropped to $400 on Newegg. It seems like prices drop model-by-model, so you have 2 models of v56 at $400, a bunch $475 - 500, and v64 at $499, $530, and a bunch around $580+.

No rhyme or reason to it.

I had to pay $600 for my Vega 56 five months ago.